1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Frustrated with CSR's

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by shinerburke, Oct 26, 2012.

1. shinerburke

shinerburke New Member

Jul 3, 2007
    I feel like I'm getting the run around and was wondering if anyone here might have a suggestion on how to get around it.

Here's the issue.

Customer since 2007. We currently have the Choice Xtra + HD DVR package with three receivers. The receivers are:

1 HR22-100 in the TV room
    1 HR 22-100 in the master bedroom
    1 H21-200 in the exercise room.

My wife decided we needed a television in our "great room" so I purchased one. Due to the location, above the fireplace, the space is limited so I was looking at adding an H25 due to it's smaller size so I called Customer Service to inquire about doing this. I was told by the CSR that I could get a new receiver but that they wouldn't guarantee it would be an H25 or any particular model for that matter. I explained why I wanted that model and was told again that I could get a receiver but it would be "the luck of the draw."

I then asked about converting to Whole Home DVR and asked if I could replace 1 of our current DVR's with an H25, add another H25 and keep the H21-200 HR22-100 as is. She told me then that if I switched to Whole Home I had to keep both DVR's and could add a receiver, but again they could not say which one I would receive. To me that just doesn't sound right. Why if I switched to Whole Home would I have to keep both my HD DVR's? Why can't I go down to 1 DVR then have 3 additional HD receivers? It seems stupid if true.

After that I asked about Genie and was told that was only for new customers. I just love how they take care of us loyal customers by giving us all the latest and greatest equipment. :rolleyes:

I'm really agitated with this and if anyone could help it would be appreciated. I really don't care what the solutions is as long as we can get the additional smaller receiver. Whole Home would be great, but at this point that's just a bonus.

2. Ken984

Ken984 Active Member

Dec 31, 2005
    Bossier...
    The system will not allow a csr to specify a certain model of receiver. They consider ALL HD receivers the same. You got lucky with an honest csr who did not tell you what you wanted to hear. If you really want an H25 get one from SolidSignal or another retailer. Your chances of all new equipment do go up if you go whole home but still not guaranteed.

3. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
  4. shinerburke

shinerburke New Member

Jul 3, 2007
    Thanks for the replies. I will check out the systems when I get home to see if I'm SWM or not.

I wasn't aware you could purchase the receivers from anyone outside of DirecTV. Seems like I was told once that if you did they would not authorize them. Good to know different.

5. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Solid Signal is an authorized dealer for DirecTV. Lots of people on here buy from them. No problems.

6. shinerburke

shinerburke New Member

Jul 3, 2007
    Thanks again. I will check that out when I get home. I like that there is a wall mount for it as well. Would be even better if I can put it behind the TV and use the RF kit that looks to be included with the wall mount.

Hopefully I have a SWM setup.

7. cariera

cariera Icon

Oct 27, 2006
  8. shinerburke

shinerburke New Member

Jul 3, 2007
    Just got home to check and it says SWiM detected. Guess I'm good to go. Thanks for your help. :goodjob:

9. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    You are welcome.

10. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    You only need one DVR for whole home. It might be more advantageous to keep multiple DVRs based on your recording/watching habits, but one is all you need.

Not true. The Genie is available to existing customers, although depending on a number of variables, the deal you get might not be as good as a new customer.

So while Ken984 said you got lucky with an honest CSR who told you the truth about what type of Receiver, you got a CSR that doesn't appear to be well trained.

I'd call back and talk with a different CSR.

11. crkeehn

crkeehn Godfather

Apr 22, 2002
    From the DirecTV website, Genie Page:

"Available only to new DIRECTV customers. Limit one per customer. Available to all DIRECTV customers later this year."

So the CSR was giving the proper information according to DirecTV.

12. Jacob Braun

Jacob Braun King of Awesome

Oct 5, 2011
    Tulsa, OK
    The CSR was not giving proper information. The HR34/C31 is available for existing customers, and our tools do state this.

13. Chop69

Chop69 Legend

Aug 11, 2007
    Just to chime in on CSR's and Genie upgrades, I just called in to see how much a Genie upgrade would be for a full set of 1 HR34 and 3 C31. I really just wanted a price out of curiosity, and was expecting something in the $200-300. Imagine my shock when the CSR said they could do the whole setup for free. She attributed it to having the protection plan, but we also have had autopay since signing up in 2006. YMMV, but I was extremely pleased.

14. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Yes, mileage varies based on in-or-out of contract, level of service ($$$ paid), payment history, excessive calls to DIRECTV (I don't know this latter one, though I think it should be a factor), as well as (sometimes) the CSR you happen to get.

If you call and have a reason to have five tuners and or increased storage with the Genie AND whole home installed at the same time, that should improve your chances.

Good luck!

15. werdnakills

werdnakills New Member

Oct 31, 2012
    It is 100% true that CSR's have no way of ordering anything specific. Pretty much the only way you have a shot of getting a H25 is asking the install tech if he has one in the truck that he can give you.

16. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Unless it is a Genie HR34 or THR22 Tivo.

17. txfeinbergs

txfeinbergs Legend

Nov 15, 2005
    Are you in Texas? If you had the Protection Plan and were in Texas that would explain why. You get a free equipment upgrade every two years.

18. billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    Hardly arrogant. And you call yourself a mentor?

The customer is not always right but he or she should be treated with respect.