Fry’s Electronics is shutting its doors for good

Discussion in 'The OT' started by Mark Holtz, Feb 24, 2021 at 3:55 AM.

1. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz New Texan

Mar 23, 2002
    Richardson,...
    From The Verge:

Fry’s Electronics is shutting its doors for good
    Your best buys are no longer at Fry’s, guaranteed
    FULL ARTICLE HERE

2. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz New Texan

Mar 23, 2002
    Richardson,...
    I used to joke that this was once my favorite "toy store", and one of the highlights of Friday's at work in Sacramento was looking at the Friday Fry's newspaper insert. I remember when the railroad-themed Roseville, CA store opened just ten minutes away from my home (no more driving to North Natomas (North Sacramento) and the repurposed "Incredible Universe" store at 30 minutes each year), and that the Plano store was even closer. Alas, the last time I was there was July, 2019, and the inventory was in extremely sad shape due to a move to a consignment model resulting in many bare shelves. I thought they would close after Christmas, 2019.

Ah well, there is always Micro Center.

AZ. likes this.
  3. TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol Hall Of Fame

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    The past few years they were ghost towns. I’m surprised they lasted as long as they did.

4. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    My "local" Fry's (Wilsonville, Oregon) was an Incredible Universe and really didn't have a theme. It has been wasting away for perhaps three years now. It will be missed for some of the unique offerings it brought to the market like instrumentation, tooling and bulk electronic components.

5. SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    Very sad. I haven't been there in years even though the Fountain Valley one is right around the corner from my house. I have fond memories of going there for hours with high school friends lol and I built quite a few PCs fully sourced from Frys. I guess they never really got on board with that whole web fad though... they should have gone the Newegg route.

6. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    I still miss Egghead.

7. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    E.Mdtrn Sea
    sad news ... those three stores in Bay Area was my main stores same as Anchor store, WeirdStuff, Microcenter, etc

8. dmspen

dmspen Hall Of Fame

Dec 1, 2006
    Los Gatos,...
    I first went to Frys sometime in the 80s...as a grocery store. There was a deal that you got a 6 pack of Coke with purchase of a radio (remember those?). It was a small grocery store in Sunnyvale with a few rows of electronics in the back.

9. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    E.Mdtrn Sea
    sweet memory ...

10. SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    I still have Microcenter by my house too. Microcenter sucks compared to Frys although they do have good deals now and then. I don't get why Best Buy is still around. Website is good for researching appliances though.

I did buy my LG OLED from Best Buy in 2015, but that's only because I was able to stack a bunch of promos and they eventually ended up buying it back after 11 months at full price and I got a 2016 model in exchange.

11. TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol Hall Of Fame

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    I don’t remember what year it was but I bought my first big screen TV there, a Mitsubishi RPTV. It was one of the first years they did the Masters in HD. And when PBS had their first HD signal. It was all the rage. I bought other stuff there through the years as well. Good times.

12. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz New Texan

Mar 23, 2002
    Richardson,...
    BLINKS.... you're kidding me.... while the Dallas Microcenter on US-75 is a smaller store compared to the Plano Fry's, they have a much better selection... plus stuff was actually IN STOCK.

13. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    E.Mdtrn Sea
    It wasn't that way in Microcenter Sunnyvale store :(

14. dmspen

dmspen Hall Of Fame

Dec 1, 2006
    Los Gatos,...
    One of the uh-ohs that happened with Frys...
    My brother and my two nephews, age 8 and 6 at the time, went to Fry's. My brother left them in the TV area watching shows. He cam back and found them standing in front of a large screen TV playing an R rated movie. There were b00bies showing and the kids were staring...of course. My brother contacted the manager who immediately changed the movie. 2My brother wrote to Fry's headquarters about the incident and received a personal apology letter from one of the Frys.

15. billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    The Fry's store in El Segundo, CA, was within walking distance of where I worked before I retired in 1989. I went there often, even after retiring. However I probably haven't patronized the store in the past ten years. Still I'm sorry to see it go.