1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FSS blackout on 9/4/2010

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by rwy33, Sep 6, 2010.

1. Sep 6, 2010 #1 of 13
    rwy33

rwy33 New Member

Sep 6, 2010
    On Sept 4th, the Ark St/Auburn game on FSS and SUN+ channels 646, 656 and 656-1 was blacked out for sportspack subscribers outside the southeast US. I have been trying to find out a reason for the blackout and no one at DTV can give me an answer. No other games broadcast on RSN's were blacked out in my area. Any help? I live in central Texas.

2. Sep 6, 2010 #2 of 13
    Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Because they sold that game and the Arkansas Razorback game as a PPV for $35 a pop, since the poor smucks here in Arkansas have no choice but to pay through the butt for our only two in-state sports teams, lacking any professional sports...

So, they blacked you out so they could rip us off (personally, I watched it on my free big dish :)

3. Sep 6, 2010 #3 of 13
    sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Side note: Keep an eye on my ex girlfriend's little brother & Razorback, WR #11 Cobi Hamilton...he's a nice kid with tons of speed and size.

4. Sep 6, 2010 #4 of 13
    Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Just FYI, the Mizzou opener on Sept 11th is also going to be a PPV rip off for those in Missouri, so expect that to be blacked out too.

5. Sep 6, 2010 #5 of 13
    Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    I sure will, if they ever show any games I dont have to pay for :0

6. Sep 6, 2010 #6 of 13
    dstout

dstout Legend

Jul 19, 2005
    Fox Sports Southwest has the SEC FSN games in Texas don't they? I don't think you should have been blacked out.

The game that was on PPV was Arkansas against my school, Tennessee Tech.

7. Sep 6, 2010 #7 of 13
    bamaweather

bamaweather Icon

Jan 18, 2009
    As a part of the current SEC TV deal, the Saturday night games on FSN are produced by the "SEC Network" and broadcast on FSN only in the SEC states. Outside of SEC territory, you have to watch on GamePlan or ESPN3.

I'm not sure why this is the case for the nighttime FSN games and not the daytime SEC Network games which are frequently carried on RSNs and made available to everyone.

8. Sep 6, 2010 #8 of 13
    bamaweather

bamaweather Icon

Jan 18, 2009
    The Auburn/Arkansas State game wasn't a PPV broadcast. It was an SEC Network game carried on FSN in the SEC states.

9. Sep 6, 2010 #9 of 13
    dstout

dstout Legend

Jul 19, 2005
    Ahh. So the SEC games are just on Fox Sports Southwest in AR and LA?

10. bamaweather

bamaweather Icon

Jan 18, 2009
    Precisely. If you look at Mattsarz's lists (he's a member here), you'll notice it says check local listings for the FSNs on the perimeter of SEC territory, and that is why. That is also why it is blacked out on GamePlan inside of the those states. FSN gets the viewership in those states. GamePlan gets it outside.

11. rwy33

rwy33 New Member

Sep 6, 2010
    Based on Mattsarz's list the game "may" have been on FSSW or FSH(MY LOCAL RSN'S). If it was on this channel shouldn't the "looking for the game on another channel" feature have found it there. I never checked FSSW of FSH because last season when the SEC game was carried there the "looking for the game" feature always found it. Saturday it only found the gameplan channel.

12. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    It wasn't on FSSW or FSH.

13. bamaweather

bamaweather Icon

Jan 18, 2009
    Basically, there was an alternate feed of FS Houston and FS Southwest for the people living in Arkansas and Louisiana who were allowed to receive the game broadcast. The primary feed of FS Houston and FS Southwest did not have the game, because it wasn't available to residents outside of SEC territory.

Cable operators in LA and AR would have switched over to the alternate feed, and their customers wouldn't notice any difference. Since DirecTV broadcasts to the entire country, they would have carried the game on an alternate channel for people living in Arkansas and Louisiana. I'm not really sure how they handled this on Saturday, because I wasn't paying attention. However, it would not have affected the main FS Southwest feed on 676. This is why Mattsarz list includes those RSNs but also says "check local listings".