1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FSS Technician Seeking Advice

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by FSS SolutionJ, Aug 28, 2011.

1. FSS SolutionJ

FSS SolutionJ New Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Hello DBSTalk! I've lurked this and similiar DBS forums since Wildthing flasher was making it's round, and have always found an answer to whatever question presented itself. Unfortunately, today I have a question so subjective: even Google couldn't answer me. So what to do?

Make an account and ask!

I am currently working for a interstate contractor under Dishnet in the North-East TX region pulling roughly 700 post tax per week. My contractor can transfer me to San Antonio TX with relative ease, and presumably a larger town means more modern wiring -RG6 Prewires; etc- Are there any techs who could give me some incite as to what to expect transferring to a MUCH larger city like that... Or at best if I can expect to maintain my current wages (The pay is salary at both locations roughly 30$/TC or SC & 50$ for 2br NC)... Any

ANY

suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

2. cabletech

cabletech Legend

Jan 20, 2011
    For starters, you are on the Directv forum, go to dishnet forum. Second, if you will still be working for the same group, then your pay should be same or better. Good luck

3. west99999

west99999 Icon

May 11, 2007
    are you full time 40+ hours per week if so you should quit and look for a different job because you are either really slow or getting ripped off

4. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    For stater, you should know thre is no dish MDU/installers forum, for second - he did post already here, but regular subscribers cannot follow him ...

5. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    $700/week after taxes is getting ripped off? That seems like pretty decent pay to me. The way I see people in here complain about how poorly the job pays, I figured it would be more like $700/week before taxes.

6. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    Most people won't say they get paid what they're job is worth and almost no one will say they get paid what they're worth.

Technicians can make a very good living off if it if they want to put in the work and the effort. Some days are better than others but overall it's not a bad paying job for those with a good effort. Do they get paid enough per job well that's where most of the posts come in. However you see people on here like BZ and others who have been doing this for years and with a very few exceptions most of the techs that post on here seem to be intelligent enough to know if they could make better money elsewhere.

7. leeliam

leeliam Mentor

Aug 2, 2010
    There are guys in our HSP making $40k and a one making $100k+. If you are fast and know the technology you can make a ton of money. If you are slow, cut corners and screw over customers you end up going back to jobs for free to fix your mistakes and you make horrible money.

Work fast and smart and you can easily make $75k your first year. This is working a ton of 6 day workweeks though. I know techs that have been doing this for years and they make $16 an hour. Others make close to $30. It's all about knowledge and knowing how to get the job done right while moving fast.