1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FTA receivers and the hackers.

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by negril jam, May 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. negril jam

negril jam Cool Member

Mar 14, 2004
    With the recent death of the hu direct card all the hackers are buying these receivers and boasting that they get up to 2000 free channels. why isn't dish preventing the illegal use of these receivers which were intended for free fta air only.At the same time subscription rates for dish are going up.

2. Slordak

Slordak Hall Of Fame

Dec 17, 2003
    Dish has the newer Nagravision system (Nagravision II?) in place and actively running on receivers which are using yellow cards. Expect Dish to turn off the original Nagravision on all of the HD and 8PSK channels as soon as the "card swap" finishes for the 6000 receivers (all 921s and 811s already have yellow cards). As for the SD channels, Dish will continue to try and confuse things, but ultimately there's only so much that can be done if they can't do a card swap on some of the really old receivers (because these receivers won't support it).

3. homeskillet

homeskillet Icon

Feb 3, 2004
    I have a 301 with a blue card, should I be expecting a new yellow card soon?

4. ypsiguy

ypsiguy Icon

Jan 28, 2004
    Eventually, I think Dish will require that the receiver at least periodically is hooked up to a phone line for verification. Two-way communication would kill most of the pirate boxes. Then someone always finds a way. Personally, I am more than willing to pay for what I want. If I don't want it, I don't subscribe or cancel it. :D

Note: my 501 has a blue card, my 510 has a yellow. I asked Dish about a yellow for the 501. Their attitude was "Don't worry, be happy." :lol:

5. MikeW

MikeW Hall Of Fame

May 16, 2002
    I have a Model 1000 box that says it is Dish 500 Card Ready. Don't think there is any box older than that!

6. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    negril jam - I wouldn't be too worried - I think there is a card swap going for E* as well, although not at the intensity you saw for D*. The pirates will get what's coming to them eventually.

7. kmcnamara

kmcnamara Icon

Jan 30, 2004
    Two months ago Dish sent me a yellow card for my 501 in the mail. I guess they're working their way around to everyone.

8. JohnH

JohnH Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    The 2000 and 4000 are older than the 1000.

9. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    John H add the 3000 also as older than the 1000. DISH will be starting a major push to swap cards August to September, don't invest in too many old receivers for the Blue cards.

10. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    People with legit equipment have no worries. E* will do whatever is needed to keep a customer happy. Criminal hackers will lose. (Non-criminal hackers probably won't be affected since some things have to be sent in the clear, and that's the things that they are most interested in anyways.)

JL

11. stonecold

stonecold Banned User

Feb 20, 2004
    Ok Dish and Bev ( Bell Express Vue ) have taken a stance against FTA reciever that can emulate the Nagravision encryption. The biggest thing is that The public decryption keys do not autoroll (auto update ) like they do on a normal sub card and Dish can change the keys every 10 minutes if they had to.. There has been a few countermeasure against this. But they just fixed them.. These things will die out.

Also the 921 and the 811 are camless recivers hence no yellow card but a embed chip that runs the nagravision 2 decryption.

12. Mike123abc

Mike123abc Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jul 19, 2002
    I believe Scott reported that the card swapout should be completed by 2005... So, hackers may only have 6 months. It will be interesting to see what happens to sub numbers when both Dish and DIRECTV have cut off the cards (DIRECTV did their cut off last month).

13. rajeev28

rajeev28 Legend

Oct 16, 2003
    I beleive they all have been updated to Dish500 Card ready (yellow card), so doesnt matter.

I thought they would stop supporting my JVC D-VHS, but that too got Dish500 card ready in the last update. Also, in the last tech-forum, this caller had a problem with his D-VHS (he couldn't watch some movies which were recorded on D-VHS before the update and was wondering if he needs the yellow card to solve the problem).

They said they weren't aware of such a problem and he can continue to use the blue card as it's not related ( they were right, I checked and it worked fine). Point being, they never showed any urgency for the swap else they would have advised him to call dish or wait for the new card in mail.

14. hax0r

hax0r AllStar

Aug 10, 2002
    Do FTA receivers even have a phone jack? ;)

15. Brownside

Brownside Mentor

Apr 21, 2004
    Nope they do not, at least most of the ones I have seen.

16. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Mine has a 10/100 network card and also runs Windows. :D

JL
    (And it doesn't descramble a single scrambled video feed ... only FTA viewing and listening.)

17. stonecold

stonecold Banned User

Feb 20, 2004
    A. According to on of the CEO@dishnetwork reps. The blue cards are staying around only some models are getting it. It was said that some models like 7200 will not support the yellow card until summer of next year. So hackers have till at least then to get the nagraII system hacked. And considering that the Germans have already broken the Nagravision II encryption and how to break in to there own version of DN yellow cards it is just a matter of time before hackers win again. Dish Network Seem to be happy ECMing recivers and disabling them. and some one will come out with a p4 hack for dtv and dtv will be back to being pirated like a mofo.

18. Slordak

Slordak Hall Of Fame

Dec 17, 2003
    Ypsiguy, having to have receivers hooked up to the phone line as a remedy doesn't do anything to solve the root problem, which is that the Nagravision system is weak and has been cracked. Since FTA receivers are not Dish Network receivers, obviously Dish doesn't write the software and hence can't require that they be hooked up to anything, so this isn't a solution to this particular problem.

Stonecold, just so you know, the yellow card on the 921 is hidden behind a small sliding door and is completely removeable. It is not built in, nor does the receiver run without a smart card, as you claimed above.

19. ypsiguy

ypsiguy Icon

Jan 28, 2004
    I did not say that it would "solve" the problem. It would only make it more difficult to pirate the signal. Two-way communications provide a way to deliver instructions to the box without embedding it into the signal. If Nagravision 2 is cracked at a core level, then there is not much that can be done about that. Some may know differently, but I believe the only system not compromised yet is Digicipher 2. Correct?

20. ypsiguy

ypsiguy Icon

Jan 28, 2004
    Speaking of in the clear, are the Sirius channels still in the clear? If they are and are going to stay that way I wouldn't mind adding a third receiver (FTA) to get them. Especially since I already pay for them thru Dish and Sirius. However, I have a feeling Dish is going to Nagravision them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.