1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FTV2/3 vs ATV4K

Discussion in 'IPTV Hardware' started by Rich, Nov 24, 2017.

1. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I have tried the FTV3 and FTV2 on one of my 4K sets along with my ATV4K. Makes for easy comparisons. The FTV3 was awful, dimmed my picture. I quickly returned it. I do have an FTV2 which also does 4K but not HDR. I've been using that for Amazon content and sometimes I just stay with that platform for NF and other apps. What I've found out is the FTV2 (and my two new Fire Sticks) do/does have outstanding PQ on the Amazon and NF apps (not quite the PQ I get with my ATVs tho) but they struggle with Hulu, HBO and Showtime apps. Jittery picture quality, sparkly pictures...really not what I want from a streamer. The ATV4K has no issues with those apps. Better processor in the ATV? That's what I think.

The remote on the ATV is superb, I can't figure out why folks criticize it. I think it's much easier to use than the Fire remotes. I like the finger pad and the voice control. I had to buy a Sidekick addon for the FTV2 so I could control the soundbar, the ATVs come with a remote that can control AVRs and SBs audio. I do see many online comments about the lack of volume control on the Fire devices.

The ATV is more expensive. That's my big "con". Once the ATVs get the Amazon app there will be no reason to use the Fire devices on my 4K sets, if that ever happens. I do have another "con", the ATV remote is too small and is easily lost. I bought a Fintie skin for it and that resolved the size issue. Simply put, the ATV4K is a much better choice than the Fire devices but if I didn't have the ATVs I think I'd be satisfied with the Fire devices.

I cannot believe how bad the FTV3 was. I had many issues with the FTV2 boxes but finally got one that worked correctly. That FTV3 is supposed to be the next FTV box, but it's actually more like the Fire Sticks. The reviews on the FTV3s are awful, even on Amazon. I gotta give Amazon credit for showing all the negative reviews. Amazon just doesn't seem to do 4K very well. I've had no issues with the Fire Sticks or my 3 FTV1s.

Rich

2. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    I won’t even consider buying a fire stick I have s roku that’s fine for amazon. But I don’t see me ever buying anything other than appletvs going forward for dedicated streaming boxes. I just don’t see any that make more sense than an appletv.

3. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    We have 9 TV sets in the house, no way am I gonna spend that much money to put ATVs on each one. The Fire TV boxes and Sticks I have are enough for most of those sets...and they work better than a Roku...I think...actually, I know that's the truth whether anyone wants to admit it.

But I agree with your last statement, I don't think there's a better streamer out there. I haven't tried the Nvidia streamer, can't comment on that. I've tried just about every other box and the ATVs are simply the best...I think.

All that said and I gotta ask: Where is the Amazon App for the ATVs???

Rich

4. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Well Rich, when you dump DIRECTV someday you’ll be able to buy Apple tvs for all your tvs in a couple months using the savings from DIRECTV...

5. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I have enough streamers I just have to figure out what I need to do to dump D*. I just don't see that happening.

Rich

6. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL

Rich likes this.