Fubo may be Fubar!

Discussion in 'Internet Streaming Services' started by grover517, Jan 1, 2020.

1. Jan 1, 2020 #1 of 24
    grover517

grover517 AllStar

Sep 29, 2007
    Appears Fubo is losing channels left and right over the past few days.

They were never considered by us simply because they lacked ESPN and ABC. Now, they have also lost not only the few Disney channels they did have such as FX, FXX, FXM and Fox Sports College sports channels but now Sinclair owned RSN's and YES Network.

For a service that wants to position themselves as a sports "go to" service, it's not looking so good right now.

2. Jan 1, 2020 #2 of 24
    lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    Simple solution is for them to add those channels back in and increase their price to cover those costs plus some profit for having them.
    You’d be willing to pay more for that, right? :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

3. Jan 1, 2020 #3 of 24
    Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Kills me to say this but I'd pay anything within reason for YES.

Rich

4. Jan 1, 2020 #4 of 24
    NYDutch

NYDutch DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Dec 28, 2013
    Would a $16+ just for the ESPN bundle be "within reason"? That's how much SNL Kagan says Disney wants and Fubo says Disney insists they take the full bundle plus high penetration requirements.

fuboTV Drops Fox Regional Sports Networks - Cord Cutters News

5. Jan 1, 2020 #5 of 24
    garn9173

garn9173 Icon

Apr 4, 2005
    Ankeny, IA...
    Fubu has said if they could only add ESPN without adding the other Disney owned networks they would do so, but it's all or nothing with Disney.

6. Jan 1, 2020 #6 of 24
    Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Yeah, I do use ESPN frequently for football, baseball, fights and poker, I'd pay that much.

Rich

7. Jan 1, 2020 #7 of 24
    NYDutch

Dec 28, 2013
    I'd suggest Fubo adds a separate sports add-on to cover the costs for those that want it, but that likely wouldn't hit the required penetration numbers.

8. Jan 1, 2020 #8 of 24
    espaeth

espaeth AllStar

Oct 13, 2003
    Fubo is in a tough place in general - they don’t have leverage over cost control for content acquisition, content distribution infrastructure, and they’ve had to develop their advertising marketplace from scratch.

Compare that to:

Hulu - with Disney backing the service, they have a 1000lb gorilla in their corner for cost control on the content side, but they’re still reliant on external partners for content distribution infrastructure (at least today).

ATT TV - another powerhouse with WarnerMedia content ownership helping to keep content costs reasonable. ATT might have a slight advantage on distribution, because even though they outsource CDN services to external companies, they can barter those contracts down by offering reciprocal deals on ATT transit bandwidth.

YoutubeTV - built on the already paid for infrastructure of Youtube content distribution, with one of the most well known online video advertising platforms on the market today. They are at a disadvantage by not having ownership in any of the content production companies, but they’re in a better position than companies like Fubo because of brand recognition and the kind of negotiations a company the size of Alphabet can manage.

Sony already bowed out with PS Vue facing the same content and distribution pressures as Fubo.

Sling has the negotiating power of Dish/Echostar behind it, but they still had to bump the price, shuffle the lineup, and lost the Sinclair regional sports networks.

Philo might still be okay because the primary backers are A&E Networks, Discovery-Sripps networks, and CBS/Viacom. With that much investment by major content producers and lacking the highly expensive sports and news programming, they might have enough going for them to keep going.

It’s going to be interesting to see how this shakes out in 2020.

Rich likes this.
  9. Jan 1, 2020 #9 of 24
    Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Interesting indeed. Just hope it keeps on getting better. I do like watching things evolve.

Rich

10. garn9173

garn9173 Icon

Apr 4, 2005
    Ankeny, IA...
    Philo is carving out a niche for themselves in not having sports or any of the cable news channels and appealing to those who don't want especially sports, perhaps that's the route Fubo goes. As far as the others go, the more competition the better. Another streaming service not mentioned was newbie Vidgo, their channel lineup is solid and a DVR is coming.

HuluLive's price factors in it's On Demand feature, but I can get that for free through Sprint and why I went to YTTV when HuluLive announced it's price hike.

11. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Fubo seemed to have the "sports" niche. There isn't a need for yet another service providing non-sports ... especially an "other people's content" service.

The "selling our content" providers can live without sports as long as their content is compelling (such as Netflix, Amazon, Apple, Disney). Fubo would need to develop exclusive content that people wanted to join the "selling our content" crowd.

12. NYDutch

Dec 28, 2013
    It seems that Disney is shooting themselves in the foot to some extent with Fubo since they own a piece of it... :)

13. espaeth

espaeth AllStar

Oct 13, 2003
    Those are investments made by 21st Century FOX before Disney acquired them. The lead investors in FuboTV are Northzone and AMC Networks.

Fubo has raised $153m through all their funding rounds, meanwhile Disney's buyout of NBC/Universal's 33% stake in Hulu telegraphed that they believe Hulu will reach a valuation of at least $27.5bn.

At Disney's scale, the investment in Fubo is basically the equivalent of spare change lost in your couch.

14. NYDutch

Dec 28, 2013
    Note that I did say "...to some extent." I agree that extent might only be pocket change, not something that would have the bankruptcy lawyers lining up...

15. rnbmusicfan

rnbmusicfan Legend

Jul 19, 2005
    With the CBS Viacom merger, Philo's lineup might be challenged, if it is pressured to add the CBS stations. I assume Pop Channel would bundled, but if CBSViacom starts demanding CBS affiliate carriage, it will likely lead to a significant cost increase since CBS has expensive programming including NFL rights. I don't think it is sensible for a lineup to just have CBS but not ABC, NBC or FOX, but those CBSViacom cable channels make up a large percentage of Philo's lineup. But, I think Philo could drop them if negotations with CBS fall out, and CBS could just tier its ViacomCBS channels on CBS All Access or a paid version of PlutoTV, which it might do anyways.

To fill the loss, it would have to add channels from elsewhere, including some of these

SONY Movie Channel, getTV (SONY)
    Military History, Crime & Investigation Network, Lifetime Real Women (Hearst)
    INSP
    FETV
    The Cowboy Channel
    HDNet
    Reelz, Ovation
    Great American Country

Not sure if the appeal of Philo is those Viacom channels or the Home and Discovery based channels more.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2020
  16. grover517

grover517 AllStar

Sep 29, 2007
    I would be very surprised if Philo was strong armed into carrying CBS affiliates. Those stations are already available via numerous paths from OTA to CBS AA. To me, it would be fiscally detrimental to both Philo and CBS AA with the majority of Philo subscribing mainly as an add on service to other providers or as the least expensive way to still get a few popular cable channels to go with their OTA setups.

I think the better bet is on some combinations of Philo/CBS AA/Showtime bundled at a slight discount.

17. loudo

loudo Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2005
    Central Maine
    As a sports hound, I have been analyzing all of the streaming services and thought Fubo was a good one to look at, as they claim to be for sports enthusiasts. I was very disappointed to see no ESPN, MLB TV or NHL TV. But they were the only one that had NFL Network.
    But then looking at sports, on other services:
    Hulu was missing my local RSN, NFL Network, MLB TV, and NHL TV.
    You Tube TV was missing NFL Network, and NHL TV.
    Sling was missing both my local RSNs, and NFL Network..
    AT&T TV was missing one of my local RSNs and NFL Network.

B. Shoe likes this.
  18. B. Shoe

B. Shoe Mentor

Apr 3, 2008
    Illinois
    You bring up a great scope into one of the current choices that have to be made, when it comes to switching to a streaming provider; what can you, personally, be willing to give up (at least at the moment)?

For me, I don't regularly watch baseball, but don't follow hockey. Narrows it down a little bit. But could I really live without NFL Network? I gave it a shot with YTTV (it was also the only one to carry all of my market's locals), and found a local watering hole to watch the few NFLN-exclusive NFL games that I didn't have access to. After a full season of NFL football, I've survived. It doesn't work for everyone, but I've made due.

espaeth likes this.
  19. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    My sport is NASCAR, which means Fox Sports 1 and NBC Sports Network (depending on the half of the season) plus other related channels for certain races.
    At this point $30 for Sling Blue would work. YouTube wants $49.99. Fubo wants $54.99. Hulu wants $54.99. AT&T Now wants $65.
    Obviously all the packages have additional channels (beyond FS1/NBCSN).
    And there are other channels I watch ... but the most common are included in the base packages above (I have simple tastes).

20. wmb

wmb Godfather

Dec 17, 2008
    Sorry to hear that

Soccer here, so NBCSN for England and ESPN+ for out-of-market MLS games that aren't broadcast nationally. ESPN, FS1 and Univision for national broadcasts.

The weird one is our MLS local team... They are broadcast OTA locally, but the in-market streaming rights were sold to FLOSports. That meant that DirecTV Now couldn't stream the game even though they carried the station used for local broadcasts. I was lucky... I had an antenna and could get the game OTA. Out of luck people were those that couldn't get the OTA channel either through an MVPD or antenna, and were in the 75 mile local zone back out of ESPN+. FloSports was pricey - $30 per month. There was a lot of complaints:
    FC Cincinnati's FloSports fix: $99 subscription for the first 2K to sign up

I will add that I'll go to a local pub a number of times a year to watch Arsenal games with the local Gooners.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B. Shoe likes this.