1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Future 4K Programming?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by reubenray, Feb 12, 2018.

1. reubenray

reubenray Godfather

Jun 26, 2002
    What is in store for future 4K programming from Directv? I am trying to see if it is worth the expense of getting different receivers plus a different programming package to watch 4K shows. I do not care about watching sports in 4K which appears to be what Directv has the most.

2. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Channel 104 is basically human interest programing. Channel 105 is PPV and channel 106 is special events programing.

3. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Lets stop asking "are we there ?" in regard of 4k/UHD programming for one year;

and get back in Jan 2019.

DaveC27 likes this.
  4. kevinwmsn

kevinwmsn Hall Of Fame

Aug 19, 2006
    It's more like the status of HD was when it first came out. I wouldn't expect more than a handful of channels for a few years. We still need to get all SD programming to HD or at least mpeg4 versions that isn't SD Lite.

5. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2008
    The future so Bright you're gonna Need Shades and a Much bigger wallet

6. codespy

codespy What....Aaron and Danica? Uggggg...... DBSTalk Club

Mar 29, 2006
    Seasonal
    Great news....too bad the Badgers absolutely suck this year compared to the last couple years. I bet their 4K games get blacked out in my market anyway, but I guess we’ll have to wait and see...

7. wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose Hall Of Fame

Aug 16, 2006
    The big "stop sign" here is local TV affiliates. Lets say the Super Bowl was available in 4k. Today, you can't get 4k over the air. So you could only see it via the internet/DirecTV, which means less viewers for local network channel.

The NAB hates that, and they rule the FCC, so it'll never happen.

8. JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2008
    But the NFL and NBC/FOX/CBS can put in the super bowl contracts that LOCAL RIGHTS to take down an better feed do not apply for the Superbowl or that they much give the TV system the local ads that can be slipped into the 4K feed

9. CTJon

CTJon Godfather

Feb 5, 2007
    Can but will they short term - allow super bowl to not be covered on local. I'd think they would lose a lot of support from local (although the concept of local is really not true anymore since large corporations own most local stations).

10. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    They could, but then the local stations will demand some sort of compensation in return for this.

What people don't get is that delivering an event like the Super Bowl in 4K is not going to increase viewership by a single person, or get even one more dollar for commercials. It is all cost and no benefit. A lot of cost if they have to give kickbacks to the local stations for lost viewers.

Plus as the most watched event every year if they have any problems delivering it people will scream and moan - look at how people whine here when there's a problem with one of Directv's 4K broadcasts. If I were the networks I'd want to have a ton of lesser football games produced flawlessly in 4K before I took on the Super Bowl.

11. AngryManMLS

AngryManMLS Active Member

Jan 30, 2014
    MN
    Meanwhile the Manchester United vs Chelsea game on 105 right now has terrible frame rate issues. Everything looks jittery and trust me I played around on my TV for a good ten minutes with various settings before giving up. Yeah NBCSN doesn't look that good even for 1080i but at least the frame rate is consistent and watchable in that manner.

12. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    it's temporary .. a future of UHD is bright :)