1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Future expansion options with SWM LNB

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by ciurca, Sep 20, 2009.

1. ciurca

ciurca Godfather

Apr 14, 2009
    This past April, when I got D* installed, they installed a SWMlnb, due to my house being pre-wired for just cable. Well, I have 6 rooms where tv is or could be watched, plus a 800 sq ft. walk up attic which might get finished into a game room/football room.

I'm using 6 tuners already (2 HD DVR's and 2 sd boxes). What are my options when I add rooms or upgrade to two tuner receivers. I'm worried that the SWM LNB will have to go.

2. Mertzen

Mertzen Hall Of Fame

Dec 8, 2006
    Official HSP would be install a second dish or go legacy.

If you go DIY you can go for a legacy LNB then split the 4 lines to a combination of a WB68 for the single tuner boxes and a SWM8 switch for dual tuner single line areas.

3. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    When you say "pre-wired for just cable" does that mean scattered splitters or a "home run" system where all of the cables come to a single location?

In any event the LNB will probably have to go.

4. ciurca

ciurca Godfather

Apr 14, 2009
    main shell of my house is home runned in attic, then to outside.
    Garage shell (bonus room above it) is single run outside.

swmlnb -> PI -> 2 way splitter -> one run to bonus room and one run to attic home run splitter.

Pulling more cable to garage data hub (phone, cable, cat 5e) is an option.

5. netraa

netraa Godfather

Mar 27, 2007
    You have 3 options more or less...

1. DIY/BIY install a 2nd dish, with another swm LNB, PI and splitter. When the tech comes out to install the upgrades, have them peak the dish and hook up the extra rcvrs to that dish.

2. DIY/BIY install a standard LNB and run 4 lines to the central hookup area and install 4 splitters and whatever combination of 6X8's and or SWM8's you need.

3. Let the HSP convert you to a standard legacy system and have to pull double lines to the dvr's requiring wires on the outside of the house being drilled through to the tv's.

costs:
    option 1 is your least expensive.
    option 2 is the most flexible.
    option 3 is most likely to be free(unless you want wall drops), but least desirable.

Catch 22:
    option 1 SHOULD be fully supported by direct TV, and the HSP as it is all residential parts and standard stock.
    option 2 the 6x8's will be supported, but you have a very good chance of a tech walking away from any future service calls due to the unsupported swm8 module.
    option 3 would be fully supported by the HSP for any and all future work needed on it.

6. JimInNJ

JimInNJ New Member

Apr 3, 2009
    If you aren't adding rooms this month I wouldn't worry too much, as the technology in the pipeline (swm16 et al) will take care of it.

7. ciurca

ciurca Godfather

Apr 14, 2009
    Is the swm 16 going to be one lnb ouput with 16 channels on one line, or 2 outputs from one SWMlnb, just removing a second dish from the equation.

8. dettxw

dettxw MRVing

Nov 21, 2007
    Choctaw, OK
    If the SWM16 is anything like the SWM8 then it will require all four outputs from the regular slimline dish and just be able to support more (16) tuners.
    So to use a SWM16 (or 2 SWM8s with the four inputs split 2 ways each) then you would also have to replace the LNB assembly.

9. texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    That's correct, from a installation perspective the SWM16 looks like a bigger SWM8 and needs four feeds from the dish.

10. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    I still think some people are confused here. The upcoming SWM-16 is only the module type probably targeted for MDU installs as was it's predecessor the similar SWM-8. There is no SWiMLNB-16 integrated version for the LNBs intended for residential installs being produced yet as far is known, though one is logically expected.

11. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    As with all of us, "we're guessing", but since the SWM16 has the DECA bridge, it would seem not for MDU installs, and with so few customers needing more than 8 tuners, the SWM16 LNB may never become a product.
    But then... :shrug:

12. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    I think thats a pretty safe bet. With the DECA bridge, that for the most part would exclude it from MDU use. Besides, with MDUs, they have racks of SWM8s, so no real benifit from switching to SWM16s.

13. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Yes if the existence of an internal DECA bridge is a certain that could imply residential use (but for comparatively rare residences which need a great deal of tuner resources of course).

But perhaps the SWM-16 could be intended for both installs since placing DECA filters in the two home run output lines would prevent bridging and isolate the two SWM-8 DECA clouds. Whatever the case I simply wanted to mainly point out that the SWM module variety is the only one expected presently and not a SWiMLNB version.

14. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    From what's been shown, it is [and becomes the only thing different for a SWM16 verses two SWM8s].
    MDUs will be using the DECA bandstop filters at each POE, so the DECA cloud stays within each unit.
    While it could be used in both, seems unlikely, as there is nothing gained for the MDU system.

15. JimInNJ

JimInNJ New Member

Apr 3, 2009
    The only point that I was trying to make was that DirecTV will have a "standard" residential upgrade plan for ciurca's situation, keeping the inside wiring plan relatively intact.

It remains to be seen if a SWM16 LNB is in the works, but in the shorter term the SWM16 will allow the existing interior wiring to survive, even if the wiring between the dish and the SWM16 will need to be changed.