1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Future HD pricing

Discussion in 'DISH™ High Definition Discussion' started by tomallison24, Dec 22, 2008.

1. tomallison24

tomallison24 AllStar

Dec 10, 2008
    Here's my question. If Turbo gold is $39.99 and supposedly new HD programs will be added as they become available. If you buy for example America's 200 for $49.99 plus turbo gold for $10.00 that's $20.00 more than turbo gold by itself. What will happen when turbo gold adds more and more HD programming to the point where no one will need America's 200 or 250. I can't believe Dish will be able to give up the extra $20.00 income. What do you think will happen in the future?

2. space86

space86 Icon

May 4, 2007
    I think in the future TV through E* will cost more not less.

In the 1980's cable was like under 10 dollars a month, now it is close to 50 dollars
    to a 100 dollars based on how many channels you want.

3. Mr.72

Mr.72 Icon

Feb 2, 2007
    You mean, based on which channels you want.

I only want about 10 channels. Unfortunately to get those 10 channels, I have to also pay for another 200.

4. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    AT200 at today's price of $49.99 ($52.99 in Feb) is the "Silver" level. You would get Silver HD for $10 more, not Gold HD.
    TurboHD Silver (standalone) is $32.99 today ($39.99 in Feb). A $17 difference today (or $13 in February).

The primary cost of the channels is the rights to carry the content. As long as providers package HD with SD it isn't costing DISH much more to give you HD along with the SD you already pay for ... although they do need some return on the investment in new satellites, etc.

HD only customers are not paying for the rights to the SD channels ... which saves DISH some money (and they offer a discount on HD only vs HD+SD). I expect that as new channels are added we'll see the HD only packages increase to cover the rights fees for new channels. The SD packages will go up less as they will only need to be adjusted for existing channels.

Eventually there will be only one package ... HD+SD ... but for now one can get the $10 discount for not subscribing to HD or an up to $18 discount for not subscribing to HD.

5. HobbyTalk

HobbyTalk Hall Of Fame

Jul 14, 2007
    Huh?

6. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Reading the whole sentence ... "Eventually there will be only one package ... HD+SD"

For example, "Classic Silver 200 w/Silver HD" is a HD+SD package ($57.99 in Feb)

"... but for now one can get the $10 discount for not subscribing to HD or an up to $18 discount for not subscribing to HD."
    Classic Silver 200 will be $47.99 (save $10 for not subscribing to HD)
    Turbo HD Silver will be $39.99 (save $18 for not subscribing to SD)

(There was a mistype there ... I do not mean that there will only be one package, only that there won't be separate HD and SD packages. Eventually. Eventually (no, not in February and likely not in the next couple of years) all packages will include HD and SD.)

7. AED55

AED55 AllStar

Oct 2, 2008
    A friend of mine called DN and a CSR told him that HD only packages will be available as of Feb. 11. Has anyone else heard this from DN?

8. HobbyTalk

HobbyTalk Hall Of Fame

Jul 14, 2007
    Current customers will not be able to switch to the TurboHD packages until Feb. 1.

9. Jim5506

Jim5506 Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2004
    Nevermind - misread the post!

10. Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
    Wouldn't it be cheaper to get AEP rather than trying to figure out these metal packages??

11. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    AEP is the most expensive package. How can just settling for the most expensive be cheaper?

12. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Not really, although James had to help me with my understanding of the math. Here's my metal:
    [​IMG]

I think AEP would cost me $13.99 more. But I'm currently getting the Cinemax for a penny deal. If I actually had to pay for a fourth premium, the difference I think would only be $4.99. There's only so much time in the day so I don't know what I'd get for the $4.99. As I've mentioned elsewhere, we basically record off of 27 channels, but I have to buy the package above to get all of them.

13. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Part of the confusion is that "America's Top" packages will be called "Classic Bronze 100/Sliver 200/Gold 250" (and even Classic AEP!). Don't confuse the rename of the AT packages with the Turbo HD packages with similar names.

The price increases are better explained in the price increase thread in the main DISH forum. This thread was kept alive for hypothesis on the future ... beyond Feb 2009 when there are a lot more HD channels.

BTW: An AEP subscriber currently gets 194 SD video channels plus RSNs/PPVs and promotional channels (the 194 includes shopping networks and PIs). There are currently 56 of those 194 channels available on DISH in HD plus eleven HD onlys available (in "AEP" w/GoldHD+PlatinumHD).

29% of the base AEP channels available in HD is pretty good considering there are 27 PIs and 15 shopping channels in the 194 that few want in HD (HD QVC and HSN would be good for the shoppers, HD NASA would be good for space buffs). Eliminating those would make it 37% of the base AEP channels available in HD via DISH today.

The future will bring more channels in HD ... and as speculated in this thread something will have to be done with the "HD Only" prices to pay for that new content. I expect that when we get to 100 or 125 real national HD channels on DISH (instead of the 67 I count today) we will see the end of the "HD Only" discounts. Or perhaps the same price for SD only as HD only and $10 more for HD+SD.

Time will tell.

14. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    I would assume some or all of the price realignments would occur. Dish has to start making serious money or someone better buy it.

15. Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
    One would have to pay for the PPV movies seperatly in AEP correct?

16. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Yes. The Multi-Sport (all RSN) package is also not included in AEP.

17. Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
    Hmm? Then why are the RSN'S listed in AEP description and channel lineup?

18. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    You only get the RSNs for your area ... probably a footnote (or a footnote missing).

19. Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
    You're right. They have all of the RSN'S listed in AT 250. My bad.