1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

G4 coming to E*! (SORT OF)

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by DDRio, Mar 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DDRio

DDRio Legend

Mar 24, 2002
    Comcast bought TechTv and it's going to merge it with G4. The new channel will be available on E*.

PHILADELPHIA, March 25 /PRNewswire/ -- Comcast Corporation (Nasdaq: CMCSA - News, CMCSK - News) announced today that it has signed an agreement with Vulcan Programming Inc. to acquire TechTV, Inc. Upon closing, Comcast will merge TechTV with G4, the Comcast-owned television network devoted to video games and the gamer lifestyle.

Building on the complementary strengths of two niche programming networks that combine the worlds of technology and entertainment, the acquisition of TechTV would create a network that complements Comcast's growing content portfolio and expands G4's distribution. The combined channel would be available to 44 million cable and satellite customers nationwide.

Charles Hirschhorn, founder and CEO of G4, will be the CEO of the combined network. "This merger is a win for G4; a win for TechTV; and a win for our advertising and affiliate partners," said Hirschhorn. "The result will be one compelling TV channel that showcases the fun and entertaining side of games and technology with the distribution necessary to achieve broad appeal."

EchoStar Communications Corporation (Nasdaq: DISH - News) will have an equity interest in the combined entity and has agreed to make the channel available to its DISH Network customers who subscribe to its mid-level America's Top 120 programming package or greater.

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/040325/phth014_1.html

2. James Hill

James Hill AllStar

Jul 24, 2003
    If you haven't caught TechTV in a few years then you're not missing anything. Hell, even Leo Laporte cut a new deal with 'em, so he only has to show up two days a week now.

Their main programs are now anchored by twits with no TV experience or stiffs from the Bow Flex commercials.

And that's still better than G4.

James Hill

3. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Some of those TechTV "twits", as you call them, are pretty sharp - and the babes are cute! :)

4. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    "G4 is the premier 24/7 television network devoted to the world of video games and the people who play them. Geared toward viewers aged 12-34, G4 is the leading source of entertainment and information about everything game - from video to online to computer to wireless."

www.g4tv.com

"EchoStar Communications Corporation (Nasdaq: DISH - News) will have an equity interest in the combined entity and has agreed to make the channel available to its DISH Network customers who subscribe to its mid-level America's Top 120 programming package or greater."

www.dishnetwork.com

5. skaeight

skaeight Icon

Jan 15, 2004

It's definatly not what it once was. ZDtv was where it was at. Once it was bought and renamed it really went down hill.

6. JohnH

JohnH Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    I suppose they will move it off of C4 as well. :(

7. BobMurdoch

BobMurdoch Hall Of Fame

Apr 24, 2002
    Let's count off the post Viacom skirmish victories for E* subscribers.....

1. Extra Innings.....
    2. YES Carriage Rumours intensifying (The courts ordered all the cable companies to have their price reduced to the same as Cablevisions AND locked in only a 4% annual raise.... I think Charlie will bite at this one now)
    3. G4 programming (through the TechTV merger)

WooHoo! Keep it coming!

8. James Hill

James Hill AllStar

Jul 24, 2003
    TechTV's old audience.

TechTV's new audience.

And no, they're not pretty sharp. On their own, and off script, none of them are sharp or insightful. At best they have an above average technical knowledge.

Playboy agrees with you on the babes part, but who cares? The one skank already put her topless picture on the net, and the rest aren't anything special to anyone over 17.

James Hill

9. AppliedAggression

AppliedAggression Godfather

Aug 16, 2003
    ^^ Ha, that was pretty funny. Did anyone see her on Howard Stern? She always looked like a good girl, how wrong we were.

As for TechTV, I enjoy it quite a bit. I love TechLive and The Screen Savers. Although I agree that it has been going down here lately. I've only had TechTV for about a year and a half, but since then many of my favorites have since left. Leo is definitely the best part of the channel, I found myself even watching Call for Help just because Leo was hosting. Somehow he makes things interesting and fun. TechTV needs Leo for it to survive.

TechTV has had some other decent shows, such as Invent This and Tech of.... Often these seemed like great ideas but lacked something. Nonetheless, I find them enjoyable once in a while.

10. Darkman

Darkman Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 16, 2002
    Good point...

Good Post!

11. jerbroni

jerbroni AllStar

Feb 25, 2004
    I guess I'm the lone guy that liked it as ZD and as TechTV. Actually, I really only like X Play and Unscrewed with Martin Sargent, but I'd miss TechTV enough for me to not switch to Voom. ;)

12. Jasonbp

Jasonbp Godfather

Jun 17, 2002
    Well, its nice to see that, G4 is coming to E* and D* and other cable companies. I know alot of people who have wanted G4 but, as we all know, E*/D* didn't carry it, nor did either of the two cable companies around here.

I just wonder, who's going to get time when, and what they are going to call the channel? :confused:

=============

I agree with whom have said about techTV going down hill. At times it seemed they were just adding T&A to pull rating (X-Play). That chick doesn't know video games from a hole in a wall.

13. Jacob S

Jacob S Hall Of Fame

Apr 14, 2002
    Leo's contract just got renewed on TecTv so he will not be going anywhere for a while. He had to use up his vacation days from his old contract before his new contract started, so that is why he has not been on TechTv as much the past month.

14. Chris Blount

Chris Blount Creator of DBSTalk Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 22, 2001
    I can verify that. He mentioned it the other day on Call For Help.

15. Chris Freeland

Chris Freeland Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    What will be the new name once G4 and Tech TV merge? In my area Comcast has G4 but not Tech TV, and of course E* and D* have TechTV but not G4, I guess now everybody will now have G4/Tech TV. :) I still like Tech TV but not as well as original ZDTV, however I am not a gamer but I am interested in the technology that goes into these games so it will be interesting checking out the G4 side of the merged channel.

16. Richard King

Richard King Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2002
    The new name will be: Gee, Tech for TV. :D

17. Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    Bob I don't see how this is any thing to proclaim E* victorious. A lot of people knew MLB IE would most likely be on E* once D* didn't have the DBS exclusive, YES isn't a done deal, and this news really has nothing to do with Dish, DirecTV will most likely continue to carry TechTV in whatever form it will be in after the two channels merge.

As for the channel, it continues to go down the hill. I catch the Screen Savers when I can and I record Fresh Gear but that’s about it. I used to watch ZDTV all the time, I miss Working the Web and when The Screen Savers was dedicated to call ins, not some special guests. I still miss Erica Hill :( Sarah Lane is cute though, she's a ditz, but cute :)

18. Mike Richardson

Mike Richardson Banned User

Jun 12, 2003
    Really? That's interesting. Leo getting back into radio now?

19. Mike Richardson

Mike Richardson Banned User

Jun 12, 2003
    So Echostar Satellite is going to be sharing ownership of a TV channel with Comcast Cable? Interesting.

20. pez2002

pez2002 Hall Of Fame

Dec 13, 2002
    I dont think E or d subs will still get the channel i think g4 is distributed the same way ccsn-philly is so say goodbye i could be wrong though

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.