Game blackout on Sunday Ticket

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by Fastphilly, Oct 18, 2015.

1. Fastphilly

Fastphilly New Member

Oct 18, 2015
    Daly City, CA
    I just registered on this forum to vent my frustration about DTV NFL Sunday Ticket. I have been a subscriber for many years and until today I never realized how inept their customer service is. First, I called them because a game that I wanted to watch on my Sunday Ticket package was blacked out (Chargers at Packers).

She insisted that the game was blacked out locally. I told her I live in the San Francisco Bay Area and the game should not be blacked out in my area. CBS was carrying the GB/SD game and the local CBS station was airing the SF/BAL game as they should.

I demanded to speak to a supervisor and she told me the engineer said there was a "Problem" with the broadcaster. I pay $300 a year for this and I'm upset they were not able to fix the matter. Late in the 4th quarter and still blacked out. Is this what DTV has turned into with being part of AT&T? What a joke!!

2. west99999

west99999 Icon

May 11, 2007
    Has nothing to do with ATT. Blackouts happen and sometimes games are blacked out by mistake. I don't know if yours was a mistake but this has happened way before ATT every even thought about Directv.

3. Fastphilly

Fastphilly New Member

Oct 18, 2015
    Daly City, CA
    Mine was definately a mistake. I live 2000 miles away from Green Bay, WI and 500 miles away from San Diego, CA. I should not be subjected to blackout. The biggest sports package they offer and they have nobody on hand to get this handled promptly. I pay for special programming and I expect to get it. They will hear from me on Monday.

4. west99999

west99999 Icon

May 11, 2007
    Did you check your local channels? If the game was carried by local channels it would be blackout on ST.

5. Fastphilly

Fastphilly New Member

Oct 18, 2015
    Daly City, CA
    The local CBS affiliate in the San Francisco market aired the 49er game. The GB/SD game was carried by CBS. The FOX affiliate in San Francisco did not air a game in the second slot.

The game should have been made available to me on the Sunday Ticket. When I changed to channel 714 to see the Green Bay game I was redirected to channel 391 (KCBS) a Los Angeles CBS affiliate that I don't get because I live here in the SF Bay Area.

6. camo

camo Godfather

Apr 15, 2010
    Its always been this way, if its broadcast locally you can only watch on local channel. That means NO laptop, phone etc. all blacked out. Makes no sense at all. Who in their right mind is going to watch the game on their phone if they have any TV available? Frigging idiotic thinking. :bang

7. adkinsjm

adkinsjm Icon

Mar 25, 2003
    Mistakes happen. Best thing to do send a message to the official DirecTV Facebook or Twitter account.

8. cforrest

cforrest Icon

Jan 20, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    Directv was aware of the issue when it occurred over 17hrs ago. No idea if they ever fixed it since I don't reside in San Fran area.

DIRECTV Service ‏@DIRECTVService 17h17 hours ago
    Chargers V Packers showing program not available in your area issue is only affecting San Francisco/Oakland we are aware& working to resolve

9. CTJon

CTJon Godfather

Feb 5, 2007
    For me sort of the opposite happened and it was good. Local provided extra coverage when first game ended early. Since GB was due to be covered by local CBS I thought I'd lose beginning of GB. Tuned to Sunday Ticket channel and they covered first quarter and then said to do local. So I saw it all. Very pleased by that

1 person likes this.
  10. AngryManMLS

AngryManMLS Well-Known Member

Jan 30, 2014
    MN
    Meanwhile here in Minneapolis the GB/SD game was blacked out on the Sunday Ticket channel during the entire overtime coverage.

11. âêîôû 1

âêîôû 1 New Member

Feb 17, 2015
    DTV customer service representatives are sometimes their own worst enemy.
    Except for rare instances, they will often assume that a game blackout is not in compliance with league restrictions and that DirecTV is in error, that DirecTV is aware that they are in error, and will inform callers that they are taking steps to rectify, when none of this is true.

There are two main components to the blackout rule, of which the first part is most often discussed and the second part overlooked.
    1) No Sellout Blackout: The game involving the local team will be blacked out on all local stations whose broadcast signal extends into markets within a 75 mile radius of the stadium if the home team does not sell out all non-premium seats at least 72 hours prior to kickoff.
    The enforcement of this rule BY THE FCC (after decades) was overturned last season, but this does not overrule a franchise negotiating this clause with individual affiliates and implementing the rule... however most franchises do not favor this rule.
    2) Opposing Team Games: Except for the last week of the regular season, if the home team has their game televised on either the 1:00PM EDT or 1:00PM PDT time slot, the regularly scheduled national broadcast will be blacked out in the home market played during the same time slot.

I do not have NFL Ticket... the primary reason being that with E/W HD DNS, plus local via AM21 OTA and the ESPN and NBC telecasts, I get nearly half of the games without it.
    Between the E/W (New York and Los Angeles) and the local OTA CBS and FOX affiliates, I do an end-around the "Opposing Team Games" blackouts, which are readily apparent in the NY Giants and Jets and the OTA markets, but because LA fans have the good sense not to build an arena for a WalMart $1B'aire (and no "real" home team), they almost never get blackouts, which is why 391 and 399 typically show up in the blackout auto-search..

12. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    One thing to note for future reference is that the game mix channel does not have the games blacked out. I have not tried the supposed new mix channel with only 4 games but that would of worked in a pinch.

13. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    I thought I saw that the 4-channel game mix is now a 'fan favorites' where we vote ahead of time which four games we want to watch. And then one channel up is an 8-channel game mix channel. Very small thumbnails.

14. gwade

gwade Cool Member

Aug 31, 2008
    Same issue...just south of OP. Thank god I still have 391 grandfathered!

15. Fastphilly

Fastphilly New Member

Oct 18, 2015
    Daly City, CA
    They never resolved the issue. I got to see the final six minutes only because the local CBS station went to the game after the conclusion of the 49er game.

16. bfkidd

bfkidd Cool Member

Dec 4, 2005
    So the reasoning is that no game can go up against the local team if you are in the primary market with a 1pm start?

That would make Sunday ticket even less valuable. NFL blackouts are insane.

We should support companies that actually want to provide customers service rather than continue to limit them.

17. Fastphilly

Fastphilly New Member

Oct 18, 2015
    Daly City, CA
    As far as local affiliates go yes. If Bay Area Fox affiliate is airing a home 49er game then the local CBS cannot air a game in the same slot. This has no effect on Sunday Ticket subscribers. Direct Tv screwed up big time!

18. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    Yes but the point of me posting it was that the games are not blacked out on either of those two channels so if you cant watch the game anywhere else, it would be very helpful it if was on the 4 screen window but either way, hopefully you would still be able to see it and here it just not full screen.

19. CTJon

CTJon Godfather

Feb 5, 2007
    Minneapolis is a suburb of GB. Isn't it?
    Sorry I have a son who lives in Minneapolis and we send his kids GB gear just to irritate him

2 people like this.
  20. jeret

jeret Mentor

Apr 22, 2007