1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Game Channel (259) can't remove from guide and can't block

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by Cholmondley, Feb 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cholmondley

Cholmondley New Member

Sep 6, 2007
    There has appeared a Game Channel on my guide (# 259) - in a bright green background, so it stands out (in a hideous Vegas style) from the other listings in the guide. It seems to be a pay-to-play channel and obviously, I don't want it. I have removed it from Custom 1 guide, but it still appears. I have blocked it in the Parental Controls, but it still appears (can still be accessed too). I don't want it, so how do I get rid of it? Same problem on both the HR20 and HR21.

I realize I could just ignore it, and not go to it, but it is right above BBC America, which we watch a lot and it offends me with its lurid green . Can't believe Directv are blocking removal of this channel - that can't be legal? What if I had kids at home, I would want it removed for sure then.

Anyway, please help me get rid of it and help me avoid having to spend hours on the phone waiting for a useless CSR.

Thanks.

2. Jestr40

Jestr40 Godfather

Jul 22, 2007
    "Can't believe Directv are blocking removal of this channel - that can't be legal?"

What is with all the questioning of D*'s legal rights. It is D*'s company, it is D*'s service and it is D*'s equiptment. They can more or less do what ever they want. The only option we consumers have is to get Dish or cable.

On a side note just set up a "favorites" channel list under settings and take it out of the list of channels to be shown. I just tried it on my HR20 and it worked perfectly.

3. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    The banner is actually attached to the next channel, 260. Remove that and the banner goes away.

Banners are always attached to the channel BELOW them in the guide. This one should be attached to 259 and be above it, but it isn't.

4. Smuuth

Smuuth Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2005
    I agree that the banner for the Game Channel is very irritating. As you discovered, simply removing the selection for channel 259 on your Custom list does not remove it.

However, if you edit your Custom channel list and remove the selection for channel 259 AND channel 260 (We), the banner in 259 will go away. You will still be able to tune to and view channel 260 directly should you desire to do so, but it will not show up in the guide.

EDIT: tonyd79 beat me to it!! :)

5. Cholmondley

Cholmondley New Member

Sep 6, 2007
    Sorry I seemed to have flipped your switch with the Directv comment - obviously a sore point with you. I did also mention in my original thread that I had already gone to Custom1 (under Favorites) and removed it.

Take a deep breath and let us "newbies" or whatever you like to call us have our time on these forums without having to be patronised.

6. Cholmondley

Cholmondley New Member

Sep 6, 2007
    Ahhh, a constructive piece of information, for which I am very grateful. I did remove 260 and the Game Channel listing is no more. Seems an odd method but it worked. At least you didn't verbally abuse me like the other respondent! Thanks again.

7. Newshawk

Newshawk Hall Of Fame

Sep 3, 2004
    Broken...
    Since nobody has mentioned it before, Game Lounge is a premium service, but it is one that costs at most $4.99 a month for an all access subscription. Games can be played in a limited "preview" mode, however.

Actually, Game Lounge has many games for kids, including Spongebob Squarepants and Barbie-themed games. As far as Why you can't remove it from the master guide list, that is because the master guide list is also the "channel map" that tells the receiver on which transponder each channel is located. The receiver needs to have that info at all times. The favorites lists are provided to give you an alternative guide that includes just the channels you want to view.

8. PicaKing

PicaKing Godfather

Oct 8, 2006
    Wait!!! Are you teling me it's attached to the channel BELOW the banner???? Is that legal??????:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

9. Jestr40

Jestr40 Godfather

Jul 22, 2007
    Only in 41 states! The kicker is NO ONE knows which 41! :)

10. Jestr40

Jestr40 Godfather

Jul 22, 2007
    OKay, I have tried to figure out what the OP had happening and I can't get the guide to show anything in color, game channel or otherwise. Is there a setting that I am missing?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.