1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Garmin Offers Lifetime Map Updates

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by Nick, Jan 12, 2009.

1. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Garmin® Offers nüMaps Lifetime Map Update Program

Garmin announced today that it would offer nüMaps Lifetime, a single fee program that enables customers to download the latest map and point of interest information every quarter for the life of their personal navigation device.

“Having the most current and up-to-date maps help our customers get the most out of their satellite navigation device. With nüMaps Lifetime, access to the latest maps is just a few mouse clicks away,” said Dan Bartel, Garmin’s vice president of worldwide sales. “For just one single fee, our customers can be certain they’re traveling with the most current maps.”

The updates include new points of interest, streets, and addresses. Customers can purchase a nüMaps Lifetime retail package through an authorized Garmin dealer or purchase directly online, at www.garmin.com/numapslifetime. Maps are downloaded directly to the customer’s computer and installed on their device. Subscribers can sign up to receive email notices when each new map update is published – up to four times annually. Map data is provided by NAVTEQ – the world leader in premium-quality mapping.

nüMaps Lifetime is available in three different versions:

* City Navigator® North America NT ($119.99 - check model compatibility HERE)
    * City Navigator Europe NT ($139.99 - check model compatibility HERE)
    * City Navigator Transatlantic ($149.99 - check model compatibility HERE)

The nüMaps Lifetime program is valid for the life of the customer’s unit. The subscription is not transferable if the unit is sold, and is not transferable to another compatible unit.

More @ http://www.centredaily.com/living/travel/story/1045642.html

2. tfederov

tfederov Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2005
    I sure wish Magellan had this.

3. rahlquist

rahlquist Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2007
    All I can say is awesome and its about time. Of course this isnt for every Garmin unit. We got a c330 a couple years back and only after a bit of time had passed did we find out the maps were significantly out of date. The only option for us will be a full priced map upgrade.

Sad thing is the c330 is still for sale so some folks are going to get into a boat like we are where they will continue have to pay for the updates.

4. kfcrosby

kfcrosby Godfather

Dec 17, 2006
    Memphis, TN
    In a word.... SWEET

Thanks for the info !!!

KC

5. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Wish they had done this a month ago when I just paid for their latest 2009 update...

6. houskamp

houskamp Active Member

Sep 14, 2006
    of course the sub story is there is now a timer built into unit.. burns up in 3 years :lol:

7. cmtar

cmtar Icon

Nov 16, 2005
    You have to pay? I downloaded new maps and updates for free a few times since I had the gps.

8. Chris Blount

Chris Blount Creator of DBSTalk Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 22, 2001
    This is great! Thanks for the heads up Nick. Its about time!

9. fluffybear

fluffybear Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    +1

10. fluffybear

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    I believe you get map updates for only your first year and then only if information needs to be corrected (A good example of this is Griffin, GA where it has it's left and rights backwards). After that first year, you needed to purchase a upgrade CD in order to get new information or subscribe to this new lifetime update service.

11. fluffybear

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    One very important note:

This map update can only be used to update the preloaded maps that came installed on your Garmin device. For example, a Garmin GPS device preloaded with North America maps only cannot be updated with a nüMaps Lifetime Europe or Trans-Atlantic Map Update, and vice versa.

In short, if you only have North American Maps on your GPS, do not waste the additional $30 to get the Trans-Atlantic update in hopes of adding Europe.

nüMaps Lifetime will be available beginning January 22nd

12. cmtar

cmtar Icon

Nov 16, 2005
    Oh I gotcha, yea i have only had it for about 4 months.

13. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    This is FANTASTIC! I have a 360 that works great for me, except that a major, daily-used freeway extension isn't in my maps, and the further extension, which was just recently completed, isn't in NavTec's database still. I was going to hold off updating until September, when the annual updates are normally released, hoping to get both sections at once, but this is a MUCH better solution.

Given that our area is still growing, and new installs tend to happen in new areas, being able to get regular map updates is going to be a big help.