Gas prices keep going up, no end is sight.

Discussion in 'The OT' started by KingLoop, Jul 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KingLoop

KingLoop Custom User Title DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 3, 2005
    I was making a joke in another thread and it made me think of bringing this point to its own thread. The most I can ever remember spending on gas was this past week at $2.379 a gallon. Now I know that higher gas prices suck but let's put this into perspective. I think I am about average and my household consumption of gasoline is about 15-20 gallons a week. So, if gas was only $2 a gallon then that would be a savings of $7.60 per week (using the most gas). That's about $30 a month. I'm not JD Rockerfeller here but, come on $30 isn't that much in the scope of a 2 income family. If gas was .38 less a gallon how much would you save?

2. RichW

RichW Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 29, 2002
    My Prediction: Look for spot price of sweet crude to go down to $56/bbl after the hurricane in a couple of weeks. I don't know if that will drop the price of auto fuels, however.

You are absolutely right, however. For the average consumer the price hikes are more of an irritation and fodder for complaining than a real economic threat, even for us westerners who tend to drive a lot more miles in a year. But it really hurts busineses that use a lot of fuel in their operations - truckers, airlines, etc. But while you guys are all worried about the price of gas, we cattelmen are sneaking up the price of beef! :)

3. JohnGfun

JohnGfun Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Gold Club

Jan 16, 2004
    It was just $2.45/gal here over the weekend.

4. Nick

Nick Charter Gold Club Member DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Eat Mor Chiken and porkchops, too

5. cdru

cdru Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2003
    Gas here was around 2.46 yesterday. Not sure if it's gone down with hurricane passing yet or not. I fill up usually once a week, 25 gallons. That's 11.50 a week or almost $600 a year. Not a hugh sum of money, but it's still adds up. If I was a two-wage family it would probably mean less...but I'm the only bread winner in my family of 5. $600 is almost a mortgage payment or two car payments.

6. AllieVi

AllieVi Hall Of Fame

Apr 10, 2002
    I use very little gas (less than 5 gal/week), so the cost is almost irrelevant to me. Using the $0.38/gal figure, I'd save about $1.90/week, not a lot by most standards.

But many Americans living hand-to-mouth aren't so lucky and these increases mean changes in spending for other things. Much of the extra money we're paying is adding to our trade deficit. That money isn't being put in circulation here (where it would gets taxed, helping to reduce the budget deficit).

7. Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    Wow, you use in 4 months what I used last week Friday on my road trip to Syracuse and back :)

8. Phil T

Phil T Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Mar 25, 2002
    Littleton,...
    Last month when I was in Maui gas was $2.88 a gallon. It is probably near $3.00 now.

9. n8dagr8

n8dagr8 Resident Rounder DBSTalk Gold Club

Aug 14, 2004
    oh, don't think we didn't notice. This has been going on for some time now. I think it's about time you stopped! :D

10. AllieVi

AllieVi Hall Of Fame

Apr 10, 2002
    OK, before some crass low-life drags this up, I just thought I'd post this former prediction (from April):

"... I expect sweet crude prices to drop below $46 per bbl by July. Now that everyone expects prices to rise, thet will actually fall."

There. Aren't you glad you got it from me instead? :lol:

11. ntexasdude

ntexasdude Hall Of Fame

Jan 23, 2005
    Irrelevant to me. We just pick out a nice fat, hormone free, coastal bermuda fed, yearling calf from the herd and take her to the butcher. :D :D

Over the July 4th weekend, I filled up my boat at a marina and paid 2.89 a gallon. I think it cost me $85. Uggg. :( That's the most I've ever paid for a gallon of gas.

My brother-in-law owns a Chik-Fil-A franchise. That's the motto he lives by! :D

12. RichW

Mar 29, 2002
    That drop did happen in June. I made a bit of money on that one. Watch the cycles - monitor the strategic reserve.

13. Roger

Roger Banned User

Aug 7, 2002
    From what I heard... Henry Kissinger stated at this year's Bilderberg meeting that they want oil to go to $150 a barrel.

14. Nick

Nick Charter Gold Club Member DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    I've noticed that the price of petroleum jelly is up. :sure:

15. RichW

Mar 29, 2002
    Yes, Nick, but it will peter out eventually!

16. RichW

Mar 29, 2002
    Note: Sweet crude went below $57/bbl today before rising a bit. Still predicting it will hit $56 soon.

17. jonstad

jonstad Hall Of Fame

Jun 27, 2002
    $2.91 here. But Molokai is a little unique.:grin:

Oahu is a better barometer and they're about $2.65 last time I was there.

We're(Hawaii) actually in relatively better shape than the mainland in some respects. I moved here in 1988 and can't remember EVER paying less than $2/gal on Molokai and about $1.70 on Oahu. At the time I recall mainland prices were hovering around $1-1.20/gal. So percentagewise, Hawaii has come out ahead. I'm beginning to wonder if the oil companies perceive a threshold where massive numbers of people will seriously start to consider and buy electric/hybrid/hydrogen vehicles and they don't want to cross that threshold. I imagine it's about $3-3.50/gal. Because once alternate choices catch on, the market for gasoline will begin to decline and probably never make a comeback.

Maybe this is just a little too Roger/conspiracy-ish. But these boys don't know anything if not their market and what it will bear. The first post here attempts to minimize increases from $2.00/gal by postulating it's only costing him an additional $30/month. Begin with a starting point of $1.00/gal or even $1.50 and the figures jump significantly. Or what if even starting at $2.00, it begins to cost $50-100 more per month? As they say, "now we're talking about real money!"

At what point DO we consider jumping from the petroleum internal combustion train? Maybe it's time we think about it? I can assure you, the oil companies have!!!

18. DonLandis

DonLandis Hall Of Fame

Dec 17, 2003
    Gas should last alot longer there (Hawaii) because you have no place to drive! Unless you were talking about gas for your boat or airplane that is.

I just drove to Washington DC last week with several side trips in Maryland and Norfolk, VA. Gas was $191 for the trip. A year ago a similar trip cost me $95.

We need ethanol fuel made available. More corn fields!

Bush's only confirmed contribution to the environment- He doesn't read newspapers!
    Now before you all go off crazy about Bush- read this carefully-
    Let's replace all the pine forests that are used to make newspaper with cornfields that can be used to grow corn so we can make ethanol fuel and shove that right up OPEC's butt! Help the environment by raising the price of newspapers to $30 each because paper will be so scarce and use that land to make ethanol! The liberal academic elete were so snooty about Bush not reading the paper but the fact is he doesn't have to. If all those environmental whackos would actually do something positive for the environment rather than piss and moan about Republicans not doing anything then maybe we would not have a new market for all those pine forests and air polluting paper mills and we would have corn fields with ethanol plants as opposed to pine forests and terpene plants. That whole industry could be adapted to making ready to use fuel for our auto transportation. I've looked into it from a chemical engineering angle. The most fascinating thing is comparing the time to grow a pine tree to maturity with a corn stalk to maturity. The ROI on that land to produce ethanol is 45 times what it is to produce newspapers! Yes, we still will need terpenes, chlorine and Sodium Hydroxide but not near the quantities we now produce in paper. I'm not saying we stop all paper mills just about 80% of them! But first, people need to stop destroying the environment with consuming paper! It is the answer to our gasoline crises.

Everybody, go look at your car now and see if you can burn ethanol. Both my cars are ethanol ready. Are yours? If they are late model (last 7-10 years) then you probably are ethanol ready too.

Hopefully I didn't disturb any of you who hate people like me who think out of the box!

19. RichW

Mar 29, 2002
    Yes, we still will need terpenes, chlorine and Sodium Hydroxide but not near the quantities we now produce in paper. I'm not saying we stop all paper mills just about 80% of them! But first, people need to stop destroying the environment with consuming paper!

Of course, we could grow hemp instead of trees as the source of paper fiber. :)

Here, along the Columbia River, we are growing a hybrid cottonwood on reclaimed bottom lands that has an eight-year growing cycle. Fast pulp production!

For diesel fuel we are recycling cooking oil. A fleet of cement trucks use it annow smell like french fries when they are on the road.

But I really think fuel cells are the way of the future and have put a lot of my money into it.

20. AllieVi

AllieVi Hall Of Fame

Apr 10, 2002
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.