1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gas Stations

Discussion in 'The OT' started by Steveox, Nov 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steveox

Steveox Banned User

Apr 21, 2004
    Does it matter what gas station you go to? To me gas is gas no matter what brand you use its still gasoline. I always go the B.Js gas cause its a clubmember store and its cheaper than anybody else.

2. deraz

deraz Daydreamer DBSTalk Gold Club

Sep 25, 2004
    If you have a normal vehicle it shouldn't matter - I use Exxon for the UPromise money for the kids' college fund....

3. HappyGoLucky

HappyGoLucky Banned User

Jan 11, 2004
    Among the name brands, they're pretty much the same. All meet the same standards and all have about the same kind and amounts of detergents and such . BJ's and Costco and Kroger, etc. typically buy their gasoline from the majors at a negotiated discount, so they, too, would carry the same benefits.

No-name stuff, however, from the el-cheapo store on the corner, is bought on the open market and could come from just about any supplier. While the gasoline might meet all specifications, the storage and delivery systems it went through might not, meaning you could be getting contaminated fuel.

4. MarkA

MarkA God Bless America! DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Typically, not much. As long as the gas station isn't cheating you out of gas you pay for or octane rating (which I think happens less often these days than before) and the fuel delivery system is clean (which it pretty much is these days, things are much better) then I'd say the main difference is the detergent additives. I'd say it doesn't matter much. I usually use Cenex or Conoco gas in my car, but I don't worry to much about the detergent additives and I just use 87 Octane gas. It's what the engine's designed to burn, anything higher won't really help it run better if everything is working properly. It might save a touch of gas milage in a fuel injected car, but not enough to justify the price. One thing I'd definitely use is a GOOD fuel system cleaner every 3000 miles. I've found Gumout Regane is the best stuff out there. It makes a huge difference to engine performance and fuel economy.

5. RichW

RichW Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 29, 2002
    Sometimes my "check engine" light will come on temporarily if I fill up with a different brand of Gas. I guess the on-board computer has to adjust to a different formulation.

Like Deraz, I too favor Exxon/Arco for the Upromise kickback.

6. MarkA

Mar 23, 2002
    That's really weird, are you tightening your gas cap all the way? If so, and assuming you have an OBD-II equipped vehicle, what code(s) is(are) being stored?

7. RichW

RichW Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 29, 2002
    What is a gas cap? :) :) (We can't pump our own gas in Oregon)

My mechanic told me that the computer wasn't quite to OBD-II. (He calls it OBD 1.5)

He couldn't figure out the code and Dodge told him it wasn't a problem. This car is a '95 Neon, the first Chrysler product to use on-board diganostics.

8. deraz

Sep 25, 2004

Rich,

Please take your Neon to an actual Dodge or Chrysler dealership. There is no such thing as an OBD 1.5. If you engine light goes on, than a code will be stored in the computer, even if the light goes back off. This code may not be a total answer, but it will give the technician a starting place.

9. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz Day Sleeper DBSTalk Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    I fill up at Costco.

10. SamC

SamC Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2003
    In my area 100% of the gasoline, no matter the brand, comes from the same refinery.

I fill up where the stations offer pay-at-the-pump so I don't have to stand in line with the mathmatically challenged playing the lottery inside and which have the fill latches so I don't get my hands cold and dirty.

Other than that, PRICE ALONE.

11. MarkA

Mar 23, 2002
    Exactly, there's no OBD-1.5. The only reason I said "if OBD-II" is because unlike pre-96 cars, you can easily get a cheap OBDII reader. SOMETHING is wrong if the check engine light comes on or at least the car thinks there is. Good idea to get it checked out. Of course, do remember a loose gas cap is a leading cause of that check engine light...

"I fill up where the stations offer pay-at-the-pump so I don't have to stand in line with the mathmatically"

Where doesn't offer pay-at-the-pump?!?!?! I think maybe the gas station in Proctor, MT doesn't (pop about 50-100 and 10 miles off the main road. One shop, gas station, post office, and grocery store in one). Maybe. And this is Montana, are there really gas stations in the civilized east without pay at the pump?

12. deraz

Sep 25, 2004
    You are absolutely correct about the loose gas cap.

I have only seen one vehicle that warns about this. I was driving a Jaguar, and an error message came across the screen advising to stop and tighten the gas cap. It then had a countdown timer before the check engine light was to come on. If this was on all vehicles, it would save a lot of wasted time.

13. djlong

djlong Hall Of Fame

Jul 8, 2002
    New Hampshire
    But... But... You'd be depriving the dealerships of charging *$80* to do a "check Engine" reading....

14. SAEMike

SAEMike Banned User

May 29, 2004
    If you call most dealerships and tell them that your check engine light is on, the first thing they will tell you to do is tighten your gas cap and if the light doesn't go off by the next day to bring the car in.

15. djlong

djlong Hall Of Fame

Jul 8, 2002
    New Hampshire
    In my wife's case, it comes on and *stays* on regardless of that. When we've had the code checked, sure enough, it was the gas pressure thing. It won't go away on her Grand Caravan.

16. SAEMike

SAEMike Banned User

May 29, 2004
    You can buy a little machine that will find the code, and reset it for you, so that you can diagnose your car on your own, and turn the check engine light off. If my dad didn't own an automotive shop, I'm sure I would have one.

17. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Hall Of Fame

Jan 15, 2004
    Truth.

In volume, the Jaguar-style readouts simply don't cost enough to worry about, and IMO, should be required.

18. sikma

sikma Godfather

Dec 11, 2003
    No offense Steveox, but I'm becoming a bit concerned on all of the questionnaires, polls, would-do-like, etc.. you have posted lately. I hope the democrats haven't talked you into being in charge of pre-election polling in 2008 ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.