Gee, another long timer leaving DTV thread

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by p47d, Oct 29, 2020.

1. p47d

p47d Cool Member

Aug 12, 2008
    I know, I know. Another long timer pulling up stakes and leaving DTV but I just had to voice my displeasure.

I don't post in here very much but I do read the threads. I will miss the information but without DTV, not much reason to even read here.

My saga started with DTV back in 1999. Had a lot of fun installing my dish, getting it aligned and then enjoying DTV. Moved south in 2004 where I set up the 'new' oval dish, ran all the wiring for my new house and I was in business. Genie, clients and all that stuff.

Fast forward to now. Count me as another singing the chorus of, "Since AT&T bought DTV...." Yikes. Just got off the phone with the ole retention folks as my bill was hosed up and they could not fix my bill. Long story short, I was assured in August that I was not going to be charged with STicket. Come September, I was. Called to cancel. They credited my first payment back. Yesterday logged in to my account to find that I was charged for my second installment of ST.

Spent 40 minutes on the phone with my rep who BTW was born in 1999, wow, I feel old, but he could do nothing to rectify my bill. This is AFTER he said it was not listed as a service to me but that I still got billed. Makes no sense. I asked him for the details for canceling. He told me to call another number.

This is not my first rodeo with the new DTV either as I have called them more in the last year than I had in the previous 20 years of service due to a Genie HD going AWOL and that replacement. Alas, that is another fiasco story that I will spare everyone with.

So, over the last 3 months I have been paying for an IPTV service that I stream through my Firestick. I pay 15 a month for 4 feeds to the service. Feeds are in HD and many are 4k. I get a couple thousand channels with little to no buffering. Last night, no buffering at all on live TV. I get about 400 local feeds along with all the movie and normal cable channels and a lot of feeds from all over the world. Since I am a cyclist, the feeds from Eurosport that feature a lot of the cycling races in Europe are a plus to me. Ohh, I may not get ST any longer, but I can get any game I want because I have streams to just about every local market in the U.S. I have been watching the NFL on these local feeds all season so I am not missing a single game I want to watch. Did I mention that I can record with my IPTV service too? I can also split screen up to 4 screens. It is not perfect as any service has issues but right now, for 15 a month getting everything DTV offers plus feeds from Europe, Australia and Asia, I am pretty pleased. I know, I know some will say, wait until your service goes down yadda yadda. They have been "on" for a couple of years now so they appear to have things figured out. They have a main website and I have actually gotten a customer service question answered and the issue fixed with a simple email. Didn't take long either.

Like I said, I have been experimenting with IPTV since the spring and finally went with a paid provider over the last 3 months and with this latest go around with crappy Customer Service, I am at wits end with DTV. I will be moving on when my current monthly service ends. Streaming is definitely the way to go if you have a decent service provider that does not throttle your internet and so far so good with mine. I have 3 firesticks already on my TV's so with the 4 feeds I can get all these channels on every TV in my house.

It has been fun here and I have totally enjoyed all the free information but I am not sad to kick DTV to the curb. The product is still good but the service is beyond bad.

p47

2. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I wish you luck and this bit of advice: Try an Apple TV box for your streaming. Yeah, I know they are expensive but I think they are the best device out there for streaming. The picture is better, there are plenty of apps on it and you won't be disappointed. I buy most of the new Fire TV devices and I don't use them because my ATVs are so much better. But I keep making the comparisons.

Rich

3. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    Yep, the AppleTV is a great box, unfortunately coupled to possibly the worst remote design ever thought of! For live streaming apps, where FF/REW/Skip are used a fair amount, that trackpad is just a POS! For on demand streamers it isn’t an issue.

I’ve been with AppleTV from the days of the first one that had an actual hard disk drive and looked a lot like a Mac Mini, and every version since.

These days it sits gathering mostly dust since the FireTV has almost all the same apps available officially, and can have HBO Max and Peacock sideloaded simply. Hulu has some 5.1 audio on some shows, but not on the AppleTV for some odd reason. Atmos works on FireTV for sources that are encoded that way and the video quality is every bit as good as Apple’s these days.

4. p47d

p47d Cool Member

Aug 12, 2008
    Maybe. But pray tell, how do you get a better picture from 1080p or 4k. I have an LG TV and 1080p and 4k are just that. My Firestick is delivering a spot on picture. Frankly, I cannot tell the difference from DTV and using the FS to stream. If the content is there in the stream, then it all depends on the display device. I'm not OLED but the LG still has a very nice image.

FWIW, I hate Apple with a passion. Anyone that has a CEO that used to run around without taking a bath ain't all there....I also enjoy the thrill of figuring out things when the PC and Android side of things don't work. Keeps me sharp.

p47

ejbvt likes this.
  5. carlsbad_bolt_fan

carlsbad_bolt_fan Icon

May 18, 2004
    Carlsbad, CA
    What IPTV service are you referring to?

6. Dishdude714

Dishdude714 Member

Dec 2, 2019
    Did the rep just say hey I was born in 1999? Lol

7. b4pjoe

b4pjoe New Member

Nov 19, 2010
  8. DrummerBoy523

DrummerBoy523 Godfather

Jan 9, 2007
    Franklin, TN
    well, add me to long line as well. I've had bill troubles for 3 months running - still no resolution. Just about ready to pull the plug.

9. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    It was a suggestion, nothing I wanted to argue about. I have little patience with haters these days.

Rich

B. Shoe, Dishdude714 and mjwagner like this.
  10. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    carlsbad_bolt_fan, krel and ejbvt like this.
  11. MikeW

MikeW Hall Of Fame

May 16, 2002
    A service that has 44 local markets, HBO, Cinemax, SHO and starz for $15.00? What could go wrong?

I'd never submit credit card data to a company like this. As they say...too good to be true.

12. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    If you think that's a challenge, you should try figuring out things when Apple products don't work.

J Blow and krel like this.
  13. b4pjoe

b4pjoe New Member

Nov 19, 2010
    It looks pretty shady to me too. I've never used it. Just the first thing that popped up when I googled something like "streaming for $15 per month". :)

carlsbad_bolt_fan, krel and Rich like this.
  14. krel

krel New Member

Mar 20, 2013
    looks shady to me to

carlsbad_bolt_fan likes this.
  15. krel

krel New Member

Mar 20, 2013
    with all the lawsuits they have on them since AT&T took em over. file an FCC complaint that will wake em up

16. TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol Hall Of Fame

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    It is shady. I’ve heard these services are illegal. From what I’ve heard it’s basically people taking feeds of channels and sending them out over the internet.

carlsbad_bolt_fan and krel like this.
  17. krel

krel New Member

Mar 20, 2013
    yep the fact one might need a vpn to stream it and the cost make it shady

Rich likes this.
  18. Teetertotter

Teetertotter Member

Jul 23, 2020
    Janesville, WI
    I LOVE DTV, as I can record any programs, plus any series. No muss, No FUSS with fast easy access to boot!

19. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Many services offer similar capability.

lparsons21 and mjwagner like this.
  20. Teetertotter

Teetertotter Member

Jul 23, 2020
    Janesville, WI
    Yes, they do.