General Discussion ...

Discussion in 'DIRECTV NFLSupercast Discussion (private)' started by Doug Brott, Aug 26, 2008.

1. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    With no need for client threads for the next few days, feel free to continue the discussions here ..

2. lwilli201

lwilli201 Hall Of Fame

Dec 22, 2006
    Missouri
    Superfan AIR Client

Tennis on Red Zone channel. Looks pretty on my laptop in a Motel 8 in Columbia SC. 950 miles from home. :)

Even the fast action looks real good.

Sound is weak during tennis but real loud on commercials. USA channel feed problem?

UPDATE: After a while the picture locks up and the circle spins. After changing feeds and going back, the picture comes back in a few seconds.

3. BubblePuppy

BubblePuppy Good night dear Smoke... love you & "got your butt

Nov 3, 2006
    Yup...Tennis is on with the Cards vs Redskins in the banner over the video.

4. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    At least it's sports :) .. It could be Dr. Phil :p

5. lwilli201

lwilli201 Hall Of Fame

Dec 22, 2006
    Missouri
    On the WWW feed I think I did see an Infomercial.

The WWW feed is very choppy. Lots of open feeds, but if you go away from one and go back I get nothing but black screen. This happened to about 5-6 different feeds. After viewing one I could not view again. Will see if going out and back to the Client will bring back the feeds.

I am getting a good signal on the wireless network at my motel.

6. JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

Dec 11, 2006
    Long Island, NY
    AIR working like a charm watching tennis

7. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Video & audio on "most channels". Going from the red zone at the top to the "Rams vs Seahawks" where it starts to play and then just "spins". Any attempt to play anything else doesn't work, until closing and restarting the app, where it again doesn't play the DirecTV active video [still spinning].
    Going back to the red zone this time has tennis, but still have the spinning icon while showing the video [good video & audio].

8. tfederov

tfederov Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2005
    I've really had no complaints around either the WWW or mobile client. I hope this trial has been helpful. I can't wait till Week 1 and the beginning of football season!

9. LameLefty

LameLefty I used to be a rocket scientist

Sep 28, 2006
    Middle...
    I've had good luck with both clients on my home LAN and ISP (Comcast). At work (AT&T DSL) it's pretty much blowing chunks, with streams timing out just about every 4 minutes, though I have managed to get 25 minutes once. Sheesh. I will remember this every time I get a piece of AT&T junk mail at home promising to bundle up my internet, phone and their cell service. Too bad, too, 'cause I already have their phone service and I'm planning to switch to their cell service in about a year when my contract is up with Verizon (I want an iPhone, bad!). Oh well.

The clients look slick and the quality is quite good if you have a nice, solid connection. I think they'll be good to go for opening weekend if the Directv servers can handle the load. :)

10. RobertE

RobertE Active Member

Jun 9, 2006
    A few things that I think are missing.

For upcoming games, I feel that they should have the date & time on there somewhere.

While not a die hard on FF stuff, having the player tracker on the supercast would be a nice addition as well.

11. Rakul

Rakul Slacker

Sep 3, 2007
    The clients looked nice, I had a hard time streaming video while I was on the road though, on the hotel LAN I got maybe 30 seconds to a minute on low quality and it would need to rebuffer. I got slightly better on my EVDO card but even when I was streaming over 800kbps it was still choppy so part of that may have been my work laptop.

12. houskamp

houskamp Active Member

Sep 14, 2006
    I wonder if your DSL has a problem... I have att and I can run it all day..

13. dmurphy

dmurphy Active Member

Sep 28, 2006
    So far, so good.

I have to say, the clients appear to like a steady network connection. My Power Mac is hard-wired (not wireless) to a very fast cable modem (30mbps) and it streams all day, without interruption.

I haven't had one freeze since the first week, when the AIR client obviously needed some work :)

Since then though, I think this thing is going to be a GREAT resource for DirecTV -- definitely a competitive advantage!

14. tcusta00

tcusta00 Active Member

Dec 31, 2007
    My two cents: If I were subscribing to Sunday Ticket I'd only use the mobile client for highlights and score updates if I was on the road and unable to watch the game live (I don't do recorded sports). I think the mobile client is fantastic on the iPhone. I wouldn't personally have much use for the computer-based clients. If I'm at home I'm watching the game on TV, not sitting at my computer.

15. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    Unless there's some limitation on the business DSL, I'd call and explain the problem. I found them very receptive to giving the speed that your service level requires. Had to have them tweak it a month after installation and then a few months ago after some line work in the area.

16. sore_bluto

sore_bluto Godfather

Mar 15, 2007
    I've just been clicking around on the AIR and WWW clients. The USA feed of tennis is good all around, but the US Open graphic on the RZC and others has its audio dropping in and out.

17. lucky13

lucky13 Active Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Maryland,...
    Just noticed that the mobile application froze my browser.
    I was unable to get a connection to any other site (including dbstalk), until I closed the browser first.

After that, m.nfl played the available highlight, and allowed me to browse again.

VZW BB 8830

18. Canis Lupus

Canis Lupus You make it, We break it

Oct 16, 2006
    I get to "over-clicking" during games, jumping around a lot among games, and prefer full screen HD over Red Zone or Mix, so I see this as a great way to stay with "one game" on the computer while continuing to jump around a bit on the TV.

19. WERA689

WERA689 Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2006
    Canton, GA
    Just wondering...as a recent canceller of Sunday Ticket, will my participation in this test be ended automatically? Or will I be able to enjoy the ride? If I could have afforded it, I'd have kept ST...:crying_sa

20. LameLefty

LameLefty I used to be a rocket scientist

Sep 28, 2006
    Middle...
    A note about AT&T DSL in my area - the local techs are TERRIBLE! We have had them out numerous times to fix problems with our connection. A few months ago, every time there was a lightning strike within a mile our modem would lose sync. It took them about three service calls to fix that problem, but each time a tech would come out they'd act like it was the first time they've ever seen such a problem, they'd try all the same stupid user-level script questions and never seem to realize we've done all that stuff several times with other techs already, etc. It's almost as if the local guys are purposely chosen for cluelessness.

But the connection works, web pages load (though ping times tend to be long), and our email comes through. Streaming media bandwidth isn't a big priority for a law office. :p

P.S. Oh, to top off the irony meter, our office sits about 100 yards away and on the same block as the local AT&T service center which dispatches all the line and repair trucks in the entire county. Go figure. :p