1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General Help with D

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by MrDad0330, Mar 17, 2013.

1. MrDad0330

MrDad0330 Godfather

Jun 16, 2007
    Etters, Pa
    I currently have six D recievers with a Decca system set up. I am trying to reduce my monthly bill which is now past my pain threshold so here is what I am thinking about but would like some advise from all the "experts" on here.

I dont want to drop my current package so this is what id like to do but here is my current situation:

My master bedroom HR22-100 is failing, its five years old and it now contiuing to lock up ever hour or so..the picture just freezes and I have to reboot so I am not sure if it is on the way out or not. This is where i have two Decca units and connect to my router.

What I would like to do is eliminate both both recievers in two bedrooms where my daughter and grandaughter stay. They can watch Roku.
    They now have an H21-100 and an H25-500

I would then like to do is replace my failing HR22-100 in my bedroom and my other two DVRS (HR22-100 in my Liv Rm and my HR24-500 in my Fam Rm) with a Genie, i guess that is the HR34)

With that, I would have one HR34 and replace my other two DVR with my existing H21-100 and 25-500 i will move out of two of my bedrooms So this is what id end up with:
    Master Bedroom: HR-34
    Kitchen..no change, it has a H22-700
    Fam room: the H21-100
    Liv room: the H25-500

So id be down from six recievers to 4 at the house.

One comment, in the Fam Rm is where I have my home theater and I feed my HDMI directly to my Samsung 52" HDTV and my optic feed from my HR24-500 to my AV reciever. I do this for surrond sound only when im watching a movie from D. Normally for general TV wiewing, I dont have my AV receiver turned on. No sense in that if im watching the news or general programming.

Like I said, my router and cable modem are in my bedroom so I am not sure that i need to have the HR34 there or not. I do need to have component outputs there cuz my Vizio TV had the HDMI inputs fried during a close lighting strike last summer so I currently feed my TV from the component (RBG) from my D reciever now.

Any suggestions would be helpful

MrDad

2. waynebtx

waynebtx Hall Of Fame

Dec 24, 2006
    Kingsville,T...
    If the H22,H21 and H25 are not owned why not replace them with C31s

3. MrDad0330

MrDad0330 Godfather

Jun 16, 2007
    Etters, Pa
    Im not sure what a C31 is? No they are not owned

4. Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick Icon

Aug 25, 2006
    Long Island
    That won't save him any money. He will still have the $6 monthy fees for each of them. It might actually cost him some money, if DirecTV doesn't give them to him for free.

5. Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick Icon

Aug 25, 2006
    Long Island
    You don't need to move the HR34 to the bedroom. You can keep your system connected to the Internet exactly how it is currently connected, regardless of what you do with your receivers. Even if you got rid of the TV and DirecTV receiver in your bedroom, you could keep your Internet connection exactly as it is (since you said that you have two DECA's in your bedroom, I'm assuming that the one connected to your router has its own power supply).

6. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    There are really only a couple of ways to cut costs.
    1. Change to lower programming package.
    2. Reduce no of receivers on acct.
    3. Figure out a way to get credits, refer a friend, etc....

One great way to cut costs but still provide tv to pretty much the same number of sets is to figure out if a room or two can share a box, meaning either move it from room to room as needed, or send the video from one room to another if its ok for both rooms to have to be watching the same thing if in use at the same time.

7. MrDad0330

MrDad0330 Godfather

Jun 16, 2007
    Etters, Pa
    yes, i would reduce the number of recievers by two. (the H25 and H21). That would leave me with one H24, two HR21s and one H24. But like I said, the HR21 in my bedroom continues to freeze up even when I reset and even after I dl the cutting edge last Saturday 3/16/13. So I have to think its on the way out. Also, my HR21 in the living room continues to run hot even with a fan on it (130F +) so I think its is dying as well.. The only well functioning HR I have is my HR24-500 in my Family room where I have my Home Theater. This is why i was considering to going to Genie and three H series recievers. I would return to H series and keep one I guess.

Now with that said here would be set up:

My bedroom Vizio 32" had its HDMI inputs fried by a close lighting strike last summer and I currently have it running on componet YBG and audio outputs from the HR21 so I would need to have a H series reciever that had component outputs My bedroom is also where I have my router and two Deca's for power insertion and internet connection. I did notice that the H24-700 in my kitchen has component outputs so I could move that to my bedroom
    In my family room I need an HDMI and an optical out to my AV Receiver. I have the HDMI from my HR to the TV so i dont have to run my AVR if say im only wantching the news
    In my Liv Room I only need an HDMI output to my TV

In my kitchen I only need an HDMI output to the TV

I know im making this all to complicated. But this is what I would like to know:

1) I am going to return three receivers so id like to return the two HR21's that both have problems. Kill two birds with one stone. Plus return my HR24-500 as I would prefer to put the Genie in my Fam Room with my Home Theater. This is where I program most of my recordings.

2) Keep my 3 H series receivers (H24, H25 and H21) Would they work with Genie HR34 or HR44?)

3) Cheapest option.. Return the two dying HR21s and go from there. I would would then only have one DVR (HR24) and two tuners to record on to vs returning/exchanging that HR24 for an H34 or 44 where Id have 5 tuners.

8. Kevin F

Kevin F Hall Of Fame

May 9, 2010
    Call DirecTV and tell them about the problem you are having with the HR23. They will replace it under warranty, as you technically do not own it.

Kevin

9. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    Get rid of the H21 & keep the HR24 - It the same monthly charge