1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General questions about MVR

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by mastrauckas, Jun 29, 2010.

1. mastrauckas

mastrauckas AllStar

Oct 2, 2008
    Hello everyone,
    In the next two weeks Direct TV installer is coming down to install my second HD-DVR(I hope it will be HR24 but Direct Tv can't make any promises.) and had some questions about MRV. I’ve been reading there are two ways you can setup, unsupported approach (Home network) and support approach (DECA). So I have a few questions about each:

1) If I don't get the HR24 do I have to pay for DECA hardware or will Direct TV give it to you?
    2) Does each receiver need the DECA hardware?
    3) Do I need anymore equipment if I choose to do the DECA setup?
    4) Can I still do On Doman if I choose the DECA approach?
    5) How is the performance on a wireless 802.11b and 802.11g network?
    6) If I choose Home network, do I just give each receiver an IP Address and there is a setup on the receiver? Is there a link how to do the setup?
    7) All my recorders I have on my receiver now, will I have to do them all over again for MRV?
    8) When recording programs, does it see both receivers as 1 and just chooses the available receiver or do I have to pick a receiver?
    9) Are there any issues with MVR since it’s still new?
    10) Can you have 1 To-Do-List and Manage Recordings?

FYI, I do know I need to have Direct Tv enable MVR in both supported mode and unsupported mode.

Thanks,
    Michael

2. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    1. DirecTV give something away for free? !rolling
    2. yes, for it to be part of the DECA network and the receiver must have a ethernet jack to the DECA to connect to.
    3. DirecTV has a $99 [plus service call] charge for everything you need for the "connected home" networking. This requires a SWiM system for DECA to work.
    4. yes, and part of this upgrade would need to be the internet connection, which is another DECA & PI to connect to your home network for internet access.
    5. Wireless isn't the best option. "Some" have barely able to get by and other haven't been able to.
    6. With the DECA to router bridge, your router should handle all of this.
    7. No, everything will be the same as they are now.
    8. Nope, as ^ each DVR will simply act as they do now.
    9. "Issues"? Hard to say. It works fine, but may be lacking some features other may wish it had.

3. dwcolvin

dwcolvin Icon

Oct 4, 2007
    Make sure your order includes Whole Home DVR Service with Internet Connection Kit. If it does, you're good to go... fully supported SWM/DECA. If not, call a CSR.

Once the smoke clears, it works very well. :)

4. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    1) If you don't get the HR24, DECAs are free when ordered as part of the Whole Home install.
    2) Each receiver needs a DECA to get MRV except HR24s and H24s. Receivers that are not MRV-capable need a band stop filter, which should also be supplied by the installer.
    3) You may need band stop filters for non-MRV-capable equipment, and you may need green-label splitters, as well as a new dish (possibly.)
    4) You can do on-demand by hooking up one DECA to your router.
    5) I would avoid wireless networking for MRV. I've tried it.
    6) If your router supports DHCP, just go to the system setup, choose Network, then Connect Now.
    7) I think you mean the series you're recording... that won't change unless you get a new receiver. Then you'll have to set it up all over again.
    8) Each DVR controls its own recordings. If you schedule a recording on a non-DVR, it will ask you which DVR to use.
    9) Actually it's pretty stable. Some drops here and there but most people are happy.

You cannot get DIRECTV to run MRV in unsupported mode, it's unsupported. You have to choose one: either via Coax or via Cat5 cable. DIRECTV will only install it via Coax.

5. mastrauckas

mastrauckas AllStar

Oct 2, 2008
    Ok, I didn't realize the home network approach was not very good. I'll give Direct Tv a call about the Home "connected home" approach. Also, what exactly SWiM and what is it used for?

6. mcbeevee

mcbeevee 97% Complete

Sep 18, 2006
    SWiM is Single Wire Multiswitch, and is either a SWM-lnb for 8 tuners or less, or a standalone SWM module for 9-16+ tuners.

:)

7. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    It's the technology that lets you have one wire to the receiver and still record two things.