Genie 2 Installation

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by jerfrans, Apr 15, 2019.

1. jerfrans

jerfrans New Member

Apr 5, 2014
    NY
    Looking for some help. We had a Genie 2 installation done by DTV at our FLA home but we have now relocated to our summer house in NY. DTV had done a full install at this location last year but it was NOT a Genie. repeated the exact installation of the splitters, the tower and receivers but have a 775 error. I am thinking that the problem might be that this location needs a different LMB... thoughts?

2. liftedpsd2010

liftedpsd2010 New Member

Apr 3, 2017
    I don’t think you can run a genie 2 and any other receivers that aren’t connected to the genie 2. Meaning you can’t have two locations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. jerfrans

jerfrans New Member

Apr 5, 2014
    NY
    I am not trying to have 2 simultaneous instances of the set up.
    FLA location is not in use. We moved all the equipment from FL to NY ... just one location at a time. It is perfectly legit.

4. liftedpsd2010

liftedpsd2010 New Member

Apr 3, 2017
    Then call direct tv. I don’t think they allow you to move the equipment to another location. Hence why you are asking on here and not calling them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    nope;
    LNBF (low noise block with feedhorn) is the same,
    but DVR must be connected to a splitter's port#1

6. jerfrans

jerfrans New Member

Apr 5, 2014
    NY
    I have called them and they have me booked for a tech to come out BUT cannot get here for a week. Clearly you don't have the info I am looking for but thanks for your replies none the less. Hopefully someone else will be able to help so I can clear this message.

7. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    what System Info screen telling about the model exactly ? HR54 ? HS17 ?

8. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Clearly you have not given enough information to help. Is the dish and LNB at your new location the same as your old location? When DIRECTV did the upgrade, did they change out the LNBF in Florida? Did they change any other connections? You were there, we were not. So we must rely on what you can tell us.

9. jerfrans

jerfrans New Member

Apr 5, 2014
    NY
    Sorry ... there is as much detail as I can provide
    Genie Model is HS17
    Dishes are the same in each location but DTV did replace the LMB in FLA so with that in mind, I guess technically the dishes are not the same.
    Same splitters in both places (DTV 4 port splitters in both houses) Main line from dish is in the "In -Port" and the line that runs to the Genie tower is in #1 output on the spliiter. I used the SAME exact same 2 port splitter to connect the tower and the main receiver.

So dish runs to the 4 port spitter
    Line #1 runs into the house that goes to the 2 port splitter
    One side of splitter to the tower, the other to the receiver.

Now, old NY set up used a power inserter inside but FLA did not use splitter as it was built into the dish/lmb. That is why I suspected that is where my communication problem lies.

10. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    well... you can't use it without a client !
    What client model you have ? How the client connected to ?

11. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Ok, a 775 error usually means the LNB is simply not getting power from either the PI or the Genie 2 in your case.

First look carefully at the main 4 port splitter outside. What device is on the coax run connected to the power-passing port (the one with the red line on the label running from the outlet port to the single input one)?

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

12. jerfrans

jerfrans New Member

Apr 5, 2014
    NY
    C61K-700

13. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2008
    IF you LNB in NY -Has Only One Down lead --It should be a Swim -It has 4- rg6's (downleads) it's NOT a SWM LNB and will not work.

Your Splitter -The Single wire from the DISH -goes to the lone connection on top of the spitter --The PORT (1) of the SPlitter must be connected to the HS-17 to provide power to the SWM LNB-

I would ask if you had the HS17 installed in FLA -then what you had in NY is Might Not be a SWM system and You Could get a RB-LNB from Ebay and swap it it out,

14. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    So dish runs to the 4 port spitter
    Line #1 runs into the house that goes to the 2 port splitter
    One side of splitter to the tower, the other to the receiver.
    Did you check each splitter to make sure the Genie is hooked to Port 1 on each of these 2 splitters ?
    Also, a loose connection can cause this 775 error.

15. Athlon646464

Athlon646464 Gold Members DBSTalk Gold Club

Feb 23, 2007
    Uxbridge, MA
    Would it make any difference if his C61K was connected to one of the other ports on the 4-way splitter (eliminating the 2-way splitter)?

16. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Yeah, I'm actually a bit confused by the OP's description of the "splitter" being in the LNB at the NY location on one hand. Which would make me think he had a non-SWiM legacy LNB there.

But then his statement that there's also a "PI" installed at the NY location would naturally indicate a former SWiM install.

17. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    No, but if the HS-17 tower and the TV are near each other it's the most convenient and practical of course.

Unless you run two coax runs from the root splitter to the same room in the house like they use to do back in the old pre-SWiM legacy multi-line multiswitch era.

18. Altcool

Altcool Legend

Jun 11, 2007
    If you only have the (1) Line from the dish to the First Splitter and only (1) line out of the first splitter, Remove it and replace it with a barrel connection to simplify the setup.

Then inside @ your (2) way splitter the input connect to the line from the dish,
    Output (1)RED of your splitter to the HS17(tower) and Output (2) to your Client C61.

19. Athlon646464

Athlon646464 Gold Members DBSTalk Gold Club

Feb 23, 2007
    Uxbridge, MA
    Thanks - I was curious about having two splitters and the powering.

20. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    No difference where it is connected.