1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Genie 2 or not

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Keflex, Jun 21, 2018.

1. Keflex

Keflex New Member

Jun 21, 2018
    Hey,

I will be getting DirecTv installed in a couple weeks. My house currently has 4 TVs and two of them are 4K.

So I'm thinking about getting a Genie 2. I know the Genie 2 has some problems and the advice for existing customers who can upgrade should wait.

With a new install, I would think it makes sense to get the latest hardware and hope they fix the bugs. What would yall do? thx

2. liftedpsd2010

liftedpsd2010 New Member

Apr 3, 2017
    I thought the genie 2 was only available for existing customers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Jasqid

Jasqid Legend

Oct 26, 2008
    Ohio
    I've been with DTV since 2008. I just got the Genie 2 upgrade Monday. It is by far the most responsive I've used. The G2 is just the server head with tuners and hard drives. My 4k is connected to the c61k700 via coaxe. I have two wireless. The newer wireless is fast as the HR44 GENIE I had. I would do the G2. Wired where you can. Wireless where needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    It is last I checked ...

Don't think the OP can get it then unless purchased from a 3rd party provider.

As far as performance though, well ... FWIW, none of the techs that made recent calls to my home (LA area) recommended the HS17.

From the field techs here. ...

Biggest equipment service calls and customer complaints -- C61K and HS17

Best setup for stability -- HR54 and HR24(s). Avoid Mini clients.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

5. Keflex

Keflex New Member

Jun 21, 2018
    Really?? I haven't seen that mentioned on any threads I've read. Why would it be limited to existing customers?

My plan is to call DirecTv before the appointment and tell them I want 4K and that I have two 4K TVs.

6. Cromwell86

Cromwell86 New Member

Jul 10, 2016
    SC
    I just had Directv installed about a month ago (new subscriber) and got the Genie 2. Biggest problem is the picture freezing (happens about every hour or so).

I have seen others talk about wired v. wireless. Does anyone know whether the wired connections are more 'stable' than wireless? And more importantly, is there any schematics available to show someone how to change to wired (from wireless)? I would rather not pay to have someone come out and make the switch if I can do it myself...

7. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Call them. Since this is a new install, they might come out and change it to wired if you tell them you think the wireless is not dependable.
    Nothing to lose.

8. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    Does the picture freeze problem happen at the top and/or bottom of the hour when you have recordings stopping/starting? If yes that’s “normal” and has been happening forever on that box. I reported it a number of times during testing but guess DIRECTV doesn’t feel it’s worth fixing.

9. richall01

richall01 Godfather

Sep 30, 2007
    South Georgia
    LOVE mine!

10. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    You should have told them when you first called what your requirements were.

Do you now have a DIRECTV account you can log into to see what they have scheduled for your install?

11. Ry1989

Ry1989 New Member

Sep 2, 2017
    The Genie2 is available for new customers in certain parts of the country. I have been getting new installs with genie2s for the last month or so. I am in CT

12. Keflex

Keflex New Member

Jun 21, 2018
    I never talked to anyone. I just did it online. Online it just says "Genie HD DVR" for $299. i haven't called to tell them I want 4K yet. When I call I will specifically ask for the Genie 2.

13. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    You didn't get to select how many Tv's and number of 4K Tv's?

Call now. They might have to cancel your original order and put a whole new order in. That could push your install date back.

And FWIW, in my 20 years as a DIRECTV subscriber, I've never received a deal by changing/upgrading equipment online. All my deals were the result of direct interaction with another person.

14. Keflex

Keflex New Member

Jun 21, 2018
    During the online order, I selected that I would have 4 TVs. There was no option for 4K. All the equipment was free, including dvr service, and $200 in visa gift card.

15. BLMN

BLMN Mentor

Sep 6, 2011
    Southern NH
    That was exactly what happened to me but I did it over the phone because I'm a current subscriber and I used the movers deal. I got Genie 2 plus 4 minis. I told them I had 2 4k tvs and another one on the way, the installer installed a reverse band lnb but they only gave me 4 regular minis no 4k. That's been almost 2 months and now and I am not sure what I have to do to "upgrade" to 4k, I want to avoid being charged.

16. studechip

studechip Godfather

Apr 16, 2012
    Were there any C61ks on the work order? If not, you should have insisted. You may be sol at this point.

17. BLMN

BLMN Mentor

Sep 6, 2011
    Southern NH
    so on the work order says 4 wireless genie minis, when I log into my account it says 4k genie mini on the right side, when I click on details under the picture of the mini it shows I have 4 C61W-400, instead of C61k, I double checked all of them at home and they are indeed C61W. I'm locked into 12 months now because of the movers deal.

18. studechip

studechip Godfather

Apr 16, 2012
    It couldn't hurt to make a call. It sounds like there was a mix up.

19. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    I would call them and get this order changed, even if you have to cancel the order and start over.

20. optiquest

optiquest New Member

Jul 15, 2018
    You can't switch from wireless to wired yourself. They are completely different STBs.