Genie 2: Playback failed no audio / video data packets received from server

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Mr. Bungle, Jun 11, 2019.

1. Mr. Bungle

Mr. Bungle Cool Member

Jun 15, 2007
    My previous Genie 2 worked for about a year or so, and died. So about 2 weeks ago a tech came out and gave me a new server. It was working ok until this weekend. Now ever so often I'm getting "playback failed no audio / video data packets received from server" messages. Also another issue I'm having is that the DVR says its recording a program, and its not acutally recording it. It doesn't show up on the recordings list. It seems to be ok for a while after the server is reset. But this keeps coming back ever so often. Anyone else having this issue or know how to fix it? I don't really want to go though getting yet another box but I will if I have to.

2. codespy

codespy Sorry Bears Fans! DBSTalk Club

Mar 29, 2006
    Seasonal
    I get that quite a bit. We reboot all of our DVR's every two weeks, unless we get a quick power outage which reboots all of them during the summer storm months. It seems to get rid of that nag, the playback failed nag.........

3. Mr. Bungle

Mr. Bungle Cool Member

Jun 15, 2007
    I was told on the official forums that the playback issue is somthing that they know about and are working on a fix for. Also GO PACK GO! :)

codespy likes this.
  4. codespy

Mar 29, 2006
    Seasonal
    The playback issue has been going on for years at my house. Not all the time by any means, but at least a couple times a week with different receiver mixes in my setup.

5. Mr. Bungle

Mr. Bungle Cool Member

Jun 15, 2007
    Update: Tech came out and replaced my HS17 with a new one, again. Apparently the last time they came out (not even a month ago) and replaced it, they gave me a refurbished one. This time they gave me a brand new one. Hopefully it lasts longer this time. Also: They asked if I wanted to downgrade to an HR54, and when I stated I might be interested, they said that would cost me $299.

6. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Huh. What "they" consider an upgrade and what some of us consider an upgrade seems to be two very different things. I'd much rather have the 54. Yeah, the 17 lets you view 4K on two streams while the 54 only allows one but there's so little 4K available that it really doesn't matter.

Rich

Athlon646464 and codespy like this.
  7. codespy

Mar 29, 2006
    Seasonal
    Except on weekends like this where we have World Cup and the US Open, both in 4K at the same time....my 54 setup doesn’t play well with that. But I won’t go the 17 route. :pensive:

8. west99999

west99999 Icon

May 11, 2007
    I doubt the G2 was a refurb. Thats a line techs use to make the customer think the problem is fixed. In reality the software on this system paired with the clients is terrible and you will have all sorts of issues with it. Its a great piece of hardware and I wish they could work out the kinks with it so I can update my own system.

compnurd likes this.
  9. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Oddly, I could live with a 17 setup. Nobody but my wife records anything but sports. I just can't part with my DVRs. I just bought a 2TB SSD for the last 24 that I care about and giving up the DVRs would mean all that I spent on the SSDs would be a loss. And I'm curious, I want to see what happens to the SSDs down the road.

Rich