1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Genie 2 problems + review...

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by saleen351, Sep 14, 2017.

1. Sep 14, 2017 #1 of 111
    saleen351

saleen351 Godfather

Mar 28, 2006
    I switched to the G2 to accommodate moving my tv around the house due to a baby, I completely regret it. This is a half backed, old, stale, cheap, half-assed waste of time of a product. DTV should be embarrassed with this thing.

Power came back on from the storm, main tv works fine, upstairs the box can't find the server, and when it does it plays 1 sec, freezes then plays then back to the can't find server screen. Ran self check on all units no problems detected. Not sure what to do at this point besides smashing the thing in the parking lot.

I've had so many problems in a month of owning this thing. Screen saver pops up for no reason, remote is junk made of super slick plastic with oddly placed buttons, when switching back to source sometimes I get a gray screen, other times I get lines with robotic voice, the on and off buttons do the same function, not sure why you need two of them, disconnects all the time, had to unplug clients and head unit a few times, if you use fast forward X4, it literally will jump way too far ahead, it's not smooth nor linear, the jump back is worthless, no buffer when off, the recording function is awful, I can't figure out how to get the box to stop recording it's highly questionable 3 times every day on different channels, I can keep going.

I should have just ran the cable wire and stuck with my old boxes. Now I'm screwed. After sleeping in 85 degree heat with no power for days, all I wanted was a shower and to watch tv in my bed, but nope, this stupid pos doesn't work.

If you are thinking of upgrading to the G2, don't.

2. Sep 14, 2017 #2 of 111
    inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Frankly you have something wrong with your system in particular and if you have it randomly recording things you had to set it up to do that. So ask for some help and give some specifics and we can help.

I’ve had mine a heck of a lot longer than you have had yours and it just doesn’t have any of these problems.

The disconnecting is likely something with the physical install which could cause problems no matter what boxes you have.

The ffwd is the same on all their boxes.

And the remote, some love it some hate it. There are alternatives. I like it better than the old you just have to take a couple weeks to get used to it. Same with any remote change imho.

3. Sep 15, 2017 #3 of 111
    P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    also, "G2" is ambiguous name (used mostly by marketing) - there are two models of HS17-x00; which one is begin discussing here ?

4. Sep 15, 2017 #4 of 111
    compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    Sounds like also you never had a genie before as that remote has been used for a while

5. Sep 15, 2017 #5 of 111
    Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Stock in the company that manufactures those remotes? I tried the remotes (the one that came with the Genie and one I bought, I can't begin to tell you how the cost of that remote bothers me) for a whole football season...a whole season. Not a couple weeks. I wanted to like them...I didn't and I don't.

You're correct about the FFWD, but you didn't mention the backward skip...that deplorable 2 second backward skip.

Rich

6. Sep 15, 2017 #6 of 111
    inkahauts

Nov 13, 2006
    I’ve not had that skip back issue in the hs17. And it’s not even on all the genies. It’s a weird one

7. Sep 16, 2017 #7 of 111
    Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I don't see it using the 44 as a server. Only when I watch something using the 44 as a DVR. The 24s (and the rest of the HRs, I think) act the same as the minis. And since you can't use the 17s as DVRs for playback (how goofy is that!) you don't see the 2 second skip back.

Rich

8. Oct 2, 2017 #8 of 111
    saleen351

saleen351 Godfather

Mar 28, 2006
    Some more gems I discovered..

Pandora will crash the box over and over..

Someone thought having the menu button much larger than the guide button is a good idea, the guide button is so hard to hit while the menu button while you rarely use is center and big. So dumb.

My wife now gets to hear the clicking of the buttons on the remote at night, not sure who thought up that great idea. Remotes should be silent!

On NFST GM channel, on the old remote you could cycle thru the audio with the color buttons, I don't know how to do it with the new box/remote since if you leave it on the GM channel too long the audio will no longer switch via the standard remote buttons. I tried all the remote buttons, nothing worked, I have to swap channels to get it working again. Often times the worthless apps will load.

The search function is worthless, just worthless.

There is a box on my recorded list, something demand, it tells me there is a problem and I should call CS, so I do, they have no idea what the error message is. It's still there.

Box cycles on and off for no reason, happens about once a week.

Box often gets the robotic voice, happens about once a week.

Gray screen of death, happens a few times a week. Have to cycle thru sources.

Speaking of sources, the old remote had a function that anyone would kids would love, on that remote you can slide the slider over one notch so your kid can't change the channel, they can only mess with the sound.

No buffer when the box if off.

I tried to filter the guide by sport, yea that didn't work.

GM sound would stop working yesterday, but I don't think that is a box issue.

I need my NFL and wireless boxes, I can't switch, so I'm stuck!

9. Oct 2, 2017 #9 of 111
    CTJon

CTJon Godfather

Feb 5, 2007
    No buffer when off - has been gone on the 44 since the beginning

10. Oct 2, 2017 #10 of 111
    Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    A couple weeks ago I found myself lusting after the 17. Thankfully that has stopped. Good posts!

Rich

11. Oct 2, 2017 #11 of 111
    ejbvt

ejbvt AllStar

Aug 14, 2011
    VT
    They peaked at the HR44/HR54 without clients and without 4K. Anything beyond that, strictly from what I have learned online and my 1+ years with a client, is a downgrade in equipment. My curiosity in the HS17 completely stopped a while ago.

12. Oct 2, 2017 #12 of 111
    WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2008
    Folks that have been with D* a Long time Have always had a BOX with a Tuner - SO getting used to New Hardware for an older customer is always a challenge. D* has been Moving away from Hardware since the Hr34 was introduced -HECK the HS17 Doesn't connect direct to any TV.

SO Keep What you have for Now - Let the New Customers Have the HS17 and whatever comes Next - all Wireless Clients (no inside wire) install = less cost -No tuners in a Box = less Cost -anyone see a pattern? Possible cause -Cord cutting & pushing everything over the internet for a combined At&t Universe experience

Rich likes this.
  13. Oct 2, 2017 #13 of 111
    inkahauts

Nov 13, 2006
    Let’s see... it’s all about perception and knowing what the differences are between this and the older genies...

Thank god the button for the menu is larger, that way you can tell by feel very easily if your finger is on the list or the guide so you only hit one button. I hate it when there are multiple buttons all the same size and it’s impossible to tell which is which.. maybe try changing how you hold the remote.. I have never once hit the wrong button, and I do not have small fingers.

The clicking is stupid but it’s easy for me to ignore. Maybe not everyone though. Sadly this is the kind of thing that happens when you use focus groups. They ask, do you want audio feedback when you hit a button so you know it should do something? They answer yes.. and we end up with a true “clicker” still not a big deal imho.

What the heck is NFST GM? And there is a way to change audio with the new remote. But it’s the info banner. Hit info, then arrow over to audio video. They have the stats and evidently almost no one ever changed the audio format on the fly with the old remote. I don’t understand why you do either, and what it is that you say is causing audio to stop working. Once we figure out what GM channel is maybe we can figure out the real issue.

Apps load when you press the right arrow while on full screen tv. Don’t hit the right arrow unless you are in a menu, problem solved.

Search hasn’t changed in years and is the same as it was on all boxes right now, other than having more ability in sports searches and such. So what exactly are you having a hard time with, works just fine for me and most everyone else at finding things. So please give us some examples and explanation of what makes it worthless as i haven’t seen anyone complain about that like you are at this level in general.

The on demand thing is a folder that is supposed to automatically load any shows you start watching in a mobile device and might want to finish watching on the tv. You can hide that folder completely by...

Menu>settings>whole-home>external devices>recently watched and make recently watched hidden.

The voice being robotic, the cycling power on and off and grey screens beg two questions. What is the firmware on all the devices, and you could have defective hardware or just as likely a bad connection or something somewhere, as was mentioned before...

The remote switch, had never hear of using that switch for that reason. That’s a new one. You know if you do not need rf, you can get old remotes and use them with this system. Just IR only.

No genie buffers while the box is off. If you want something there consistently, record it. That’s the only fix for that.

That sports category and filter has been crap since day one. Literally. The HR20 DVR the day it came out had that same filter and it sucked. In fact the category sort has never worked right either. The genie does have a sports search and teams menu that is great if you understand how to use it and set it up,so you can easily see your teams and when they play next, and even set it to record all their games with ease. Your complaints about this are puzzling because you make it sound like this is only an issue on the genie 2. It’s not. Not by any stretch. But the genies are the only ones with a sports section that fix this issue in some cases.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2017
  14. Oct 2, 2017 #14 of 111
    inkahauts

Nov 13, 2006
    Many people on here hate the idea of a giant pool of tuners (a genie system) even though it’s far more efficient in many ways, simply because they are worried about it dying one day in five years.

15. Oct 3, 2017 #15 of 111
    P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    nay, I do see the fears (we have long track of the problem) when new FW is downloaded and the DVR act unpredictably, make customers angry

Rich likes this.
  16. Oct 3, 2017 #16 of 111
    slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    Well back in the days when HR24s were state of the art the same thing could happen to a half dozen of them at once when they got new firmware.

17. Oct 3, 2017 #17 of 111
    P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    see ? no difference from a customer's perspective - bad FW will bring down all your HR24 or HS17 and he will be doomed (!) without watching something on his TVs :)

18. Oct 3, 2017 #18 of 111
    hancox

hancox Godfather

Jun 23, 2004
    Misleading.

Many people here hate the idea of *one* giant pool of tuners as their only tuners, for that reason.

I would be all aboard on the HS17 train, if not for the client-only restriction.

19. Oct 3, 2017 #19 of 111
    slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    I think the concern people have is failure of the HS17 itself, or (more likely) failure of its hard drive. If you have more than one DVR you could record the same program twice if you wanted to be REALLY sure you got it.

I still firmly believe Directv will eventually allow more than one Genie 2 per account, particularly since they don't allow mixing with older receivers. It doesn't make sense that they'd simply abandon all customers who need more than 7 tuners.

I wouldn't look for this for at least a year though, currently they don't seem to be producing enough HS17s to even offer them to new customers, it is for upgrades only. It isn't clear if they're going to increase production of HS17s or the HS17 is sort of the HR34 of the Genie 2 line - lower production level to get the hardware bugs out, and a future model will have larger production runs.

There was a post a while back from an installer regarding some sort of tech bulletin that was issued about OTA, claiming that a new OTA module is in the works that will be supported on the HS27 and HS37. If that was legit, the replacement for the HS17 may be right around the corner, and like the HR44 will likely have more manufacturers to help them really ramp the production volume.

20. Oct 3, 2017 #20 of 111
    P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    well, lets waiting for the new HS27 in 2018... after that - for HS37 in 2019