Genie 500 Ethernet / Internet drops odd behavior

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by ipeverywhere, Jan 19, 2014.

1. ipeverywhere

ipeverywhere New Member

Jan 19, 2014
    Have HR44-500 Genie installed this past week with a couple of C41-700s.

I convinced the installer to just plug the Ethernet into the back and run the internet setup. Took 4 seconds and I thought all was good. The below behavior is the same on the DVR or the client.

Here's the odd behavior which very well could be a software bug but appreciate your opinion. When I press right arrow on the remote I get TV Apps, sometimes. Sometimes it tells me there is no internet connection. Once it says there is no internet connection it stays this way until a) I re-setup internet on the DVR (takes 4 seconds and comes right up) or b) I start an on demand show. After doing a or b TV Apps works right away.

Now, the oddest part is I can actually cause the TV Apps to fail by simply hitting the - on the remote. When hitting the - it will "checking internet" and then always returns "not connected". It always says not connected. I've never seen it say anything else. After that, no Tv Apps and I have to re-setup the Internet or start an on demand show.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

2. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    What firmware are you on?

3. ipeverywhere

ipeverywhere New Member

Jan 19, 2014
    0x79e downloaded Friday 1/17
    SWM 2.0.24

4. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    What router do you have? Are you running through multiple switches and other things, or poweline adapters, anything like that?

5. lesz

lesz Legend

Aug 3, 2010
    I had the exact same issue with my HR44 for the first several months after I got it. When I would try to access the TV Apps, I'd get the message saying that there was no internet connection. Yet, I could do on-demand and, when I checked what the router was doing, it said that the HR44 was connected. Re-running the network set up on the HR44 would temporarily solve the problem, but it would keep coming back.

Eventually, I went into the router settings and assigned the HR44 a DHCP reservation, and I haven't had the problem since. When I explained what I had done on a thread here, one or two people told me that what I did would not have any connection whatever with the problem or with solving it. Yet, in the 5 or 6 months since I assigned the HR44 a DHCP reservation, I have not had a single re-occurence of the problem. Perhaps, it is just coincidence that the problem happened consistently before doing so and that it hasn't happened a single time since, but assigning the HR44 a DHCP reservation might be worth a try. Assigning a DHCP reservation to the HR44 will only take a minute or so, and, even if it doesn't work, not much is lost.

6. ipeverywhere

ipeverywhere New Member

Jan 19, 2014
    My home network is a bit complicated for a "home" network but it's really tame compared to some of the stuff I've walked into at customer sites. I'm a network engineer by trade. Anyway.... here goes....

DVR -> Netgear GS108 -> Netgear managed switch (forget model number) -> Cisco 7206VXR -> Comcast Business Class -> Internet.

The GS108 is in the media console and other devices are connected to it without issue including TV, Apple TV, Oppo BluRay Player, etc. The house is pre-wired with Cat5 which is how the GS105 gets to the larger Ethernet switch is the home run closet. I've tried two different switches and various cables and the behavior us the same.

7. ipeverywhere

ipeverywhere New Member

Jan 19, 2014
    Additional info, I have done "advanced setup" and configured a static IP to the DVR. No change in behavior.

lesz, thanks for the suggestion. I agree that shouldn't matter, especially since my DHCP lease is two days and this happens within hours, but I'm happy to try anything. Will test this and report back.

8. Old_School

Old_School Legend

Nov 28, 2011
    PA
    FWIW, I have the same issue on my HR44 AND HR24.....

9. acostapimps

acostapimps Hall Of Famer

Nov 5, 2011
    Illinois
    I know this have nothing to do with the OP's issue, but whenever I reboot the HR44 and try to access TV Apps and it says "Still Initializing" all I do is hit the dash button and it will bring up the apps.

10. ipeverywhere

ipeverywhere New Member

Jan 19, 2014
    Dtv wants to send a tech out but, being as everything else works, I'd rather they don't touch anything. Is there some way to get a bug report opened. This really sounds like a software issue to especially since others are having the same issue.