1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Genie Client - semi regular movement?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by pfp, Apr 11, 2013.

1. pfp

pfp Whatever

Apr 28, 2009
    I've got TVs in rooms that are used infrequently. I don't have receivers connected to them because they are not used often enough to justify the monthly mirroring fee. Moving a receiver, and finding a place to put it, is also a bit more work than it's worth. I'm wondering if the genie client would be fairly easy to move from room to room as needed?

2. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    They're small so "maybe" easier than a receiver, but the two aren't much different. Remember each time you remove the client, you'll need to terminate the coax.

3. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    Like VOS said it won't be much different than having to move a reciever. You're still going to have to unplug the power, coax and HDMI cable, and then carry the box (and power supply) to the other room and then hook it up to the other coax, power outlet, and HDMI cable to the other TV. It's also not a bad idea to terminate the coax that you unhooked like VOS mentioned either.

If you are thinking about upgrading TVs soon you may want to think about putting a TV with RVU client in one of both of those rooms. Then you could either just keep both of them active all the time which will increase your bill $6/month. Or you could just call DirecTV to turn one off and turn the other on, but that may actually end up being more frustrating/time consuming than moving a reciever/client.

Depending on how far apart the rooms are, and how your house is finished you may also be able to just use an HDMI splitter and run an HDMI cbale to both TVs so you don't have to move the reciever/client at all.

4. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    I'd just go with moving a Genie client around where needed vs. the RVU TV client and calling DIRECTV (the less interaction with them the better IMHO). Plus unless Samsung makes dramatic improvements in their client I think you'll be happier with the external client as far as performance goes.

5. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    I think someone has said the new 2013 RVU TVs are significantly better than the previous ones as far as RVU perfomrance, but yes I could see having to call into DirecTV to activate/deactivate all the time would get annoying. Hopefully some day they will allow you to do that on the website, or even better stop charging people for using their own hardware.

That said if I was going to have to move a receiver back and forth between rooms I would probably go with the H24. That way you don't have to mess with moving the power supply. You could have a HDMI, coax, and power cable sitting ready in both rooms and just have to move the box back and forth. The power cable on them is a standard one you can pretty much buy at any Radio Shack or online at many places, so it wouldnt' be too hard/expensive to get an extra one. The power supply for the H25 and Genie clients would be a bit more cumbersome to me (and expensive if you wanted to buy a spare), and the boxes themselves aren't that much smaller.

6. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    Guess it depends on how often you would move it and if you mind losing the features/functions that a client would give you over the standalone receiver, like full DVR functionality?

7. JeffBowser

JeffBowser blah blah blah

Dec 21, 2006
    In my case, rooms like that get an antenna feed only. At one point I was paying box fees for 4 unused rooms, plus the used ones. That was too much, and I decided guests and occasional use can survive on fewer channels.

8. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Not sure if this is a viable option. but when adding a client, there is an option to replace a client. Clients are not like receivers where DirecTV needs to active them. all you need are "licenses" to have a client active. I wonder if you have an RVU TV, you can press "replace" client, choose the client to replace, and when finished, do the same, but opposite.

9. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    I have a client in the gym that I move to the Home Theater room once per week or so. Takes about 4 minutes.

10. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    This would be much like the eight client limit/account and the 3 clients being active limit.
    Except for the cost of the extra hardware, the monthly fees are the same. You replace one location with another.

11. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    So it should work in theory, right?

12. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    And in practice too.

"The worst case" is the client you want to have replaced [deactivated] needs to have the power cord pulled, before the Genie releases it and let's you replace it with another.

13. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    So then, the best course of action (albeit expensive one!) for the OP would be to get RVU TVs and play the "swapping RVU" client games as needed. this option does not increases the monthly bill nor does it creates a commitment. just have to pony up some brand new RVU TVs

14. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    No, the best course of action is just to move the client (or other) to a different TV when needed. It's simple.

15. Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick Icon

Aug 25, 2006
    Long Island
    Does DirecTV treat RVU TV's just like they treat owned receivers, where they can be activated and deactivated at will, without having to jump through hoops or starting new commitments?

If so, I'm thinking that an RVU TV might be a good solution for a guest room that only gets used a couple of weekends per year (since I really need to put a new TV in that room anyway).

16. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    Why don't you e-mail them and ask? That way you have a real answer vs. some guesses here and have the answer in writing.

17. Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick Icon

Aug 25, 2006
    Long Island
    Because people here typically know more than DirecTV CSR's do.

18. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    But IMHO the question you're asking is for something fairly new and probably very few are/have attempted to do what you're asking.