Genie external drive

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by required_alias, Apr 29, 2015.

1. required_alias

required_alias New Member

Apr 29, 2015
    east of Nevada
    I was sent here from DTV forum. I did a search but didn't find the answer . . . maybe because I don't know the lingo.

I'll be getting a Genie middle of May. Want to get an external hard drive for it. I've searched here but can find no list of acceptable HDs. I HAVE found any external drive that accepts eSATA will work. I've found specific mention of the Western Digital WDx0EURX. Looked it up in Google but can find no indication it accepts eSATA. WD support says the drive isn't compatible with eSATA. I can find plain 'ol SATA drives but no eSATA.
    How can I find if the WD drive will work with Genie?
    I'd appreciate anyone posting back with a compatible HD.

2. TomCat

TomCat Broadcast Engineer

Aug 31, 2002
    The EURX is a commonly-used X drive for DVRs (not sure about compatibility with a Genie). It may also be the most reliable (well-tested by users posting here) and most appropriate, because it has a large cache and is built for AV use. It will work better than a top-dollar 10K RPM Raptor, because while it is not as fast, it is reliable and does not pause for temp calibrations. WD claims "12 simultaneous HD streams" (compressed, of course).

SATA and eSATA are two ways of saying about the same exact thing. The "e" refers to "external". An eSATA drive is simply a SATA drive used externally. So it is actually the same drive; a HDD has no way to know or even care if it is being used internally or externally.

3. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Keep in mind:

Even with an external drive, if the Genie needs replaced in the future, any recordings that were made with the old box will no longer be playable, unless they were recorded via antenna through an AM21.

4. juniormaj

juniormaj Legend

Feb 9, 2009
    Newbury...
  5. kaminar

kaminar Mentor

Mar 25, 2012
    There are several options, depending on technical ability. Simplest is the external drive, with built-in eSATA connection & cable (not many out there, usually USB3.0 instead). Another option is exactly what you were referencing--buy the HDD (hard drive), then insert into eSATA enclosure for connecting to the Genie. A 3rd option is the use of a NAS system/enclosure (typically 2-8 drive capacity) with eSATA connection. The last option does take a bit more time to set up, prior to connecting.

As also mentioned above, the recordings are tied to that Genie receiver (HD-DVR), and cannot be move/copied/transferred. If the Genie has issues and needs to be replaced, the attached HDD will be able to successfully connect to another receiver (HD-DVR), but all recordings will be lost and the HDD will be formatted and reset for new recordings.

Good luck!

-=K=-

6. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    I think you meant RAID

7. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Depending on how large a drive you want (I'll link you to a 2TB drive, you can go up in size based on that), here's what you need. First a link to the HDD and then a link to an external device that works well. I use that model HDD and I use the docks. Don't worry about heat or dust concerning the dock I linked to. I've been using them for years without dust or heating problems. I'd stay away from the EURS HDDs, they can be problematic when used with DVRs.

Rich

8. Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick Icon

Aug 25, 2006
    Long Island
    Realistically, you don't want an external drive (like the ones that you would connect to a PC) for your DVR. You want a drive that is designed to be an internal drive as well as an an external enclosure or dock that you will use to connect the drive to the Genie. This will convert the SATA drive to a eSATA configuration. Thermaltake makes both styles. I use one of their enclosures for my DVR's. But many people prefer one of their docking stations.

9. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    In the past, plugging in an external drive from a previous DVR didn't format it, the previous recordings still showed up, just were unplayable. Is it now formatted?

10. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Don't think so. I've only got one eSATA tho.

I've never had one reformat an HR.

Rich

11. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    That's what I'd think too. Particularly when paired with an AM21, that'd make a big difference.

12. RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    I've never had one reformat on me.

In other news though I finally had a drive die in the RAID5 array on my HR44. I hot swapped the drive and the array rebuilt itself. The HR44 didn't miss a beat during the whole thing.

13. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Ever wonder how people screw up the process and get reformatted? I can't imagine how to do that, but it happens. After all this time, I gotta say it's operator failure. The process is so simple, yet the HRs get reformatted somehow? Really makes me wonder.

Rich

14. RunnerFL

Jan 4, 2006
    Yeah, I'll go with operator failure as well.

1 person likes this.
  15. jagrim

jagrim Hall Of Fame

Aug 25, 2006
    For us novices, how did you know which drive went bad?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

16. RunnerFL

Jan 4, 2006
    My enclosure told me. Drive 3 had a red light.

17. jagrim

jagrim Hall Of Fame

Aug 25, 2006
    Cool

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

18. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    The RAID setups are cool, but they're also expensive.

Pretty neat how he hot swapped the HDD, didn't know you could do that.

Rich

19. Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick Icon

Aug 25, 2006
    Long Island
    That's the primary point of most RAID arrays (RAID0 is the exception). RAID5 allows for the failure of a single disk with no loss of data or downtime.

20. RunnerFL

Jan 4, 2006
    RAID enclosures are 99% hot swappable. My only concern was how the HR44 would react and it didn't even flinch.