Genie freezing and rebooting

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by zurn, Oct 18, 2017.

1. zurn

zurn New Member

Aug 13, 2010
    Oct 17, 2017 10:38 PM

Genie freezing and rebooting
    Hi all,

Hoping for some advice here as it looks like i might have a bad drive on my hands, but want to try everything before throwing in the towel since i have quite a bit of recorded content.

My Genie HR44-500 has been occasionally freezing and then rebooting. Sometimes it's fine, and then sometimes it kind of does so repeatedly in a loop. I was at about 10% or less capacity, so managed to free up some space and it seemed fine for a week or so, but now it's been looping again.

I've been doing the BIST tests, and both the short and the long come out PASSED. I realize this doesn't mean the drive is fine, but one odd thing is that i don't seem to have the surface test and others that have been mentioned in other posts: only short and long SMART tests and "Clear cache."

Any advice would be appreciated.
    -steve

2. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    In the BIST did you run the surface scan ? It finds errors and tries to correct them. I recently did this to my HR24 and it helped a lot for about a week and then it basically died ( got unwatchable ).
    I would call for a replacement.

3. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    You might want to keep the capacity at about 50 percent. If you need more capacity get an eSATA device and a bigger HDD. I doubt you have a bad HDD, what you're seeing is probably a software problem.

Rich

4. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    E.Mdtrn Sea
    only if you will pull the HDD out and connect to PC and run MHDD program

5. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    I’ve never had a capacity related issue with a genie. I dont think that solves anything. My guess is that hides bad sectors or there is another issue of some sort like software as you suggest. But using less of the drive doesn’t solve anything.

6. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    E.Mdtrn Sea
    use MHDD and reMap bad sectors [to good spare sectors]

7. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    You are an anomaly. I've seen some posts that suggest the same thing happens with the Genies as happens with the 24s. I've never had a capacity related issue with my Genie either, I put the larger HDD in it so I wouldn't have to worry about that. I keep it at about 50 percent full as I do all my 24s.

Rich

8. inkahauts

Nov 13, 2006
    I don’t think i am at all on this. I haven’t seen anywhere near the kinds of posts as with the hr2x stuff. And I’m running 4tb drives that have 0 free sometimes. I just don’t by that as being the issue. Well' on a HR34 maybe, but that thing is just bad..

Rich likes this.
  9. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    When I wrote, "You are an anomaly", I meant you know more than most folks do, had nothing to do with what you have experienced. Sorry for any confusion. Gotta face it, the people that do the CE testing just know more about the care and feeding of the HRs.

Rich

10. inkahauts

Nov 13, 2006
    Well that is mostly true for sure.

11. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    ???

Rich