1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Genie HDD question, and remote question for Genie

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by FastNOC, Aug 14, 2013.

1. FastNOC

FastNOC Godfather

Sep 11, 2007
    i've had a sad, tired little 24 for a couple years now. I went ahead and upgraded last night to a Genie and 3 mini genies to update the house hold.

So my Genie is on her way. I have a couple questions.

Since i never added an external drive last time, i think now is the time to do so, since i won't already have a bunch of recorded shows on. Regarding Externals, does anyone know ofd the top of their head is I can just my Seagate Backup Plus 3TB? or do i need to look for a special hard drive?

Along those same lines, I'm assuming this is like the old boxes, if I add a drive, i don't get to continue to use the built in drive, it becomes a 3tb only system? The reason I never added one on my 24 was because I was never wiling to lose what i already had recorded. But now, since the Genie will be empty it'll ne starting fresh and with 3tb i could go an awful long time without needing to do housekeeping on it.

Next, I noticed on the Genie remotes the 'page down' and 'page up' buttons have disappeared. Did I miss something? because I use those buttons a LOT right now and would hate to lose them.

Finally, will the extra remotes I bought for my 24 continue to work on the Genie or do I need to replace them too?

Thanks for any assistance. Very excited about getting the new box. been waiting for this since they were in Beta

2. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    An eSATA drive will work, but not all are designed to run 24x7. The internal drive would not be used but anything on it would stay. I recommend recording one program to the internal just so that if the DVR ever reboots and doesn't pick up the external, you can see that it isn't connected, and not start freaking out.

However, if the Genie ever goes bad, anything recorded to that external drive will not be playable on the replacement.

3. FastNOC

FastNOC Godfather

Sep 11, 2007
    Wow that's a really great suggestion. Thank you. I have two of the seagate backup drives, and run one in USB 3.0 running 24/7. it's only use is to hold real-time backups of my RAID. So i'm pretty sure that will work, However, it just dawned on me it might not have eSata. so i'd have to buy a new one :(
    Thanks!

Now if someone knows about the remotes I'll be set!

4. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    The HR34 Genie uses exactly the same remotes as the HR24. The HR44 Genie uses the same IR remote, but if you want/need RF it uses a different remote. So as long as you use IR, your remotes will work just fine with either the HR34 or HR44.

5. FastNOC

FastNOC Godfather

Sep 11, 2007
    ugh wait, I use RF, so you're saying I need a different one? i bought the better extension remotes. but definitely need RF. crud.

6. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    The RC71 uses ZigBee RC4CE technology and is the one and only remote that offers RF control of the HR44 (and newer Genie Minis). ZigBee uses frequencies around 2.4GHZ while the RC6nX uses frequencies in the mid UHF range (somewhat close to DECA).

7. texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    The RC71 does have page up and down but it uses a rocker switch....

8. FastNOC

FastNOC Godfather

Sep 11, 2007
    Ahh , fantastic. that's an even better solution! less real estate.

Can't believe i'm this excited about a new box.

I sure hope the hangs and delays that i have now on this 24 go away. i know it's the same UI

9. FastNOC

FastNOC Godfather

Sep 11, 2007
    one last question

my new boxes will be delivered today.

Regarding my old ones. and the data on the dvr. Do i have to be connected to the coax to view the shows in the dvr storage? if not, i could hook up to a secondary HDMI and let them run together for a couple days while i watch the shows on the old one.

possible?

10. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    one last question

my new boxes will be delivered today.
    Regarding my old ones. and the data on the dvr. Do i have to be connected to the coax to view the shows in the dvr storage? if not, i could hook up to a secondary HDMI and let them run together for a couple days while i watch the shows on the old one.

possible?
    Yes is possible, if you deactivate the HDDVR is not known for how long. no need to be connected to dish to watch recordings

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk

11. FastNOC

FastNOC Godfather

Sep 11, 2007
    I caved and just activated this. I know I'm going to regret it but i got tired of messing around. Maybe it'll break and I'll get a replcement that's a 44. Who knows?

I have already noticed it lags and is slow just like the 24 so i'm not real pleased. I really can't believe this is an issue. Youd think something that basic would work right. it hangs trying to go trhough the channel list, or sometimes when scrolling through recorded shows.

ugh. well, it's too late now, it's activated. :(

One good note. I called in to talk to a tech about viewing the existing shows on my old 24, and he left it activated. I'll pay a prorated portion of the $6.00 monthly for having an additional unit hooked up, but that's ok.

So i hooked the Genie up to a new HDMI port and left the old one where it was. I have a splitter for the coax since i had that adapter for Ethernet, but i don't have an extension cable. So while watching the show I frequently get a pop up saying it can't reach the guide data. Kind of annoying but not that big a deal.

Overall i'm disapointed but it's my own fault for not forcing the issue with the 44/34 deal. Too late now.

12. FastNOC

FastNOC Godfather

Sep 11, 2007
    I do have a question. The remote for this thing is irritating. No matter what i do it refuses to program to my tv, audi etc. regardless of what i choose, it says it can't find the remote when i try to initialize the changes. So at this point i can't configure it to work with my TV. It's a newer Sharp Aquos Quattron, not like it shouldn't be compatible. especially since it all worked fine on the 24.

Does anyone have a suggestion on the remote issue?

13. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Do you still have the remote that operated the 24 ? If so, try it on the 34 and see doesn't it work just like it did on the 24.

14. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    I do have a question. The remote for this thing is irritating. No matter what i do it refuses to program to my tv, audi etc. regardless of what i choose, it says it can't find the remote when i try to initialize the changes. So at this point i can't configure it to work with my TV. It's a newer Sharp Aquos Quattron, not like it shouldn't be compatible. especially since it all worked fine on the 24.
    Does anyone have a suggestion on the remote issue?

Move slide switch to TV
    1. press and hold MUTE and SELECT (LED flashes twice)
    2. enter 10093

15. FastNOC

FastNOC Godfather

Sep 11, 2007
    ahh crud, you know, i didn't even think of doing that manually, i am just frustrated with the whole mess so i gave up.

That did indeed work for the tv. Thank you very much!. now if i could just get the volume control to work I might be able to choke this down, but it's an older logitech unit so i don't think i'm going to have much luck. sicne the remotes aren't 'learning' remotes for some reason (i swear I thought they were) i can't set that up.
    so my free upgrade got me a new reciever, with the same problem that i was disgusted with the 24 from (hanging, slow and klunky performance even with all animations turned off etc) i lost my optical port which didn't even dawn on me till now that i'm stuck, becuase my hed unit on the surround is pre-hdmi so i use optical. but since i can't use the remote with it, i have no volume control, can't mute etc with out standing up and walking over to the unit.

Suddenly my upgrade appears to be a liability how does one lose functionaltiy and features and call it an upgrade?

16. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
  17. FastNOC

FastNOC Godfather

Sep 11, 2007
    i dont use the volume contrtol on the television. i have a surround system that actually controls the audio on my tv/blu-ray and my pc, and laptop. but it's old technology, and does not have HDMI. it uses optical which the 24 had, the 34 does not. however, I wasn't using it on the 24, what i did was go out from the tv to the surround via optical. either way, i have no way to control the surround because the remote that i got with the genie does not work with it the remote is the RC65RX

EDIT: just ignore me, I'm being whiney because I regret letting myself be talked into activating this damn 34

18. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    First, give the 34 a little break for now. For the first 48 hours it is doing a lot of work in the background that will slow it down. Hopefully in a couple days it will speed up for you and you won't be as unhappy with it. Most people are relatively happy with the speed of the HR34 (the ones who aren't I think have ones with issues, that will eventually cause them to fail completely).

Second, ok so your surround sound system is made by Logitech then? Does it even have a remote control for it (most of the logitech systems I know of can't be controlled by a remote)? If it has a remote and the DirecTV remotes can't be programmed to control it (no DirecTV remote I have ever heard of was a learning remote) then I highly suggest you think about picking up a Logitech Harmony remote. The 600 and 650 are pretty great remotes for the price and will make your life much easier once you get them set up.

19. FastNOC

FastNOC Godfather

Sep 11, 2007
    i had a harmony 1000 (the old big square lcd ones that cost 500 bucks lol) hated it. i had a harmony one. hated it. I tried those. the touch screen just doesn't do it for me on a remote, i like tactile feel. I was considering the logitech remote that actually turns your cell phone into the remote, but still the same problemn. So i don't think i'll use those again. i'm not dissing them. they are actually incredible remotes, just not my style. I WISH i could get used to them, becuse they are fantastic solutions

yes, the logitech has a remote. but i have no way of setting it up to the dtv remote, mainly because the remote fails at adding anything. if i try to program it (described above). but spending money on buying an expensive remote doesn't seem to be the right answer. though really it's not about money but spending hundreds because the included remote doesn't work is a strange resolution, although the ones you mention are not the expensive ones, so maybe i should review those. good point

'doing things in the background' i'm not sure what you're referring to. if it's not downloading guide data there's no compiling going on in the background, the lags area result of the resources being exhausted and the system slowing while it catches up. But i'm not sure i follow what you're saying?

20. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    When I receiver is activated for the first time, it has to download the FULL guide data, cast and crew info, poster artwork, Cinema data, this can cause any receiver to slow down until it "settles down".