Genie (HR-44) and minis slowing down a LOT

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by fudpucker, Apr 2, 2016.

1. Apr 2, 2016 #1 of 19
    fudpucker

fudpucker Godfather

Jul 23, 2007
    NW Iowa
    In the last month, our Genie (HR-44) and minis have developed a tremendous amount of lag. When I turn them on, they will not start up for a good 30 seconds, when I hit "LIst" or "Guide" there's a several second lag before it comes up, often when I press a button to view or delete a program nothing happens and I have to wait a few seconds to see if it is just lagging or if it didn't pick up my button press.

The Genie/Mini system has always been slower than the DIsh hardware I had before I switched, but nothing like this! My internet speed is a very solid 98 Mbps, all connections are tight, and I see it on my Genie (in one room) and two minis (in two other rooms.) My HD is at about 55% free, and I have kept it there for a long time.

Any idea what's going on?

Thanks

2. Apr 2, 2016 #2 of 19
    litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    First thing to try is resetting your main Genie DVR using the red reset button behind the front panel access card door. See if that helps.

3. Apr 3, 2016 #3 of 19
    fudpucker

fudpucker Godfather

Jul 23, 2007
    NW Iowa
    Yeah, tried that a couple of times. no help. :(

4. Apr 3, 2016 #4 of 19
    dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    You could do a keyword search for clearmybox. It will then reboot. Do NOT go into the Playlist immediately after it comes up. Wait a few minutes first.

Probably won't help, but it's the next level of reboot. The guide data will need to rebuild as well.

Sent from my Priv using Tapatalk

5. Apr 4, 2016 #5 of 19
    fudpucker

fudpucker Godfather

Jul 23, 2007
    NW Iowa
    Thanks. Tried it. Didn't help. DTV tech support said yeah sometimes that can be an issue, "we're looking at it" (like so many other issues they're looking at, LOL! ;) )

6. Apr 8, 2016 #6 of 19
    DIRECTV_Tech

DIRECTV_Tech New Member

Apr 7, 2016
    Create a service call saying your box is locking up on you or over heating. Once the tech gets there just ask him to do a service swap for a HR54....let him know upfront that you are willing to tip $$....if you get a good tech he will have no issues with swapping it out for you. offer like $20.

7. fudpucker

fudpucker Godfather

Jul 23, 2007
    NW Iowa
    My understanding is that,unlike Dish, if I do this I will lose all 1 T of recordings I have on my EHD, correct? Ugh!

8. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Yes.

9. woj027

woj027 Icon

Sep 3, 2007
    Portland, OR
    For everything that DirecTV AT&T is working on behind the scenes. This is my #1 wish for them to resolve. Transferring recorded shows to a secondary drive when current DVR is near death or upgrade is occurring.

1 person likes this.
  10. Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick Icon

Aug 25, 2006
    Long Island
    I don't have any minis (I have two HR24's). But I reported a similar issue with my HR44 here a few months ago. Most things work at normal speed. But, programs are slow to begin playing and there is often a lag in being able to select Delete after a program has been viewed. For the delete, this lag is most obvious if I've fast forwarded (or 30 second skipped) over commercials or previews to get to the end of the recording.

I haven't found anything to resolve the problem and it's certainly not a big enough deal that it's worth losing all existing recordings in order to resolve by getting the box swapped out.

11. Aliens

Aliens AllStar

Jul 3, 2004
    The long delay when deleting a program is irritating and has been an issue with me for too many months.

Another issue that has popped up over the last month with my HR44, is the occasional freezing/locking up. This happens only when I'm changing channels, regardless of the method for changing channels. Everyone is familiar with the second or two delay when changing channels (black background). Well, that black background stays and I can't get any program to play, including recordings. I can pull up the guide; select a channel, or try to play my recordings but nothing happens. Also, this has happened when I'm recording a show on another channel and it stops the recording. I've tried back to back red button resets; unplugging the HR44, and Clearmybox twice, and it still freezes.

12. ksp

ksp New Member

Jul 26, 2007
    The next time it happens note the time and see if it is at the 20-21 or 50-51 minute mark. What I've noticed with my HR44 is that there is something that kicks off around :20 and :50 each hour that locks things up for a while, and the more programs you have in your playlist the longer it locks up. I have a 4TB drive and did have it at about 90% full, and the lock-ups at those times would last over a minute. Thinking it might be some sort of indexing job, I deleted a bunch of stuff and got the playlist down to about 50%. It still has issues for a few seconds twice hourly, but is much more tolerable. And to clarify, what I'm seeing is it doesn't freeze live tv or playback of a recorded program. Remote button pushes at those 2 times each hour while watching live tv are either completely ignored or delayed several seconds, and it doesn't matter if they are done through IR, RF, or IP. I first noticed this behavior a couple months ago.

1 person likes this.
  13. Delroy E Walleye

Delroy E Walleye AllStar

Jun 9, 2012
    This is an excellent observation.

14. Aliens

Aliens AllStar

Jul 3, 2004
    What I found in one instance is if I left the frozen HR44 alone and came back later it would be working. I finally broke down and called D* when it happend again on Friday, and they said they have received lots of calls on the freezing and that it is a known issue and engineering is working on a fix.

15. fudpucker

fudpucker Godfather

Jul 23, 2007
    NW Iowa
    "Engineering is working on a fix" usually means "We know about this - learn to live with it."

16. Aliens

Aliens AllStar

Jul 3, 2004
    I'll be calling Tammy tomorrow. Tammy works in the Office of the President and I spoke to her a couple of years ago. She may no longer be in the position but I'll get somebody.

I pulled my guide up last night and everything froze. There was no visible information in the guide and all remote keys were dead. The HR44 on/off wouldn't work either, I had to do a reset.

BTW, if anyone wants to let off a little steam, the number is 866-785-5517 X29240. Keep in mind that was about 2 years ago.

17. Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick Icon

Aug 25, 2006
    Long Island
    My genie froze for a minute of two at the 50 minute mark last week. I was in a menu at the time that this occurred. Content kept playing in the little box, but the unit wouldn't respond to any remote commands.

18. davahad

davahad Legend

Jun 2, 2007
    That number is no longer in service. Do you have a new number?

19. Aliens

Aliens AllStar

Jul 3, 2004
    Sorry, wish I did. I, too, was disappointed when I called last week. I suspect when AT&T took over some things were changed, and this may be one of them.