Genie HR 54 disconnecting

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by raromr, Nov 5, 2019.

1. Nov 5, 2019 #1 of 12
    raromr

raromr Legend

Jun 24, 2010
    Thought I had this problem solved. But my Genie HR54 continues to drop off my whole home network. Any ideas. Had two service calls to no avail. Other three on network are HR24s and it is all networked via coax.

2. Nov 5, 2019 #2 of 12
    HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Usually this has something to do with a peculiarity in the router going about its regular tasks of assigning and then occasionally renewing IP addresses through DHCP when their leases expire.

If you don't want to try a new router, then try manually assigning the receivers static IPs outside the DHCP range of the router.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

3. Nov 5, 2019 #3 of 12
    AZ.

AZ. Legend

Mar 27, 2011
    Mine does it a lot also, but its tied to my internet....It takes a 1 second drop and I lose it....Its a real pain....I now changed internet providers, and in 2 weeks not one drop out.

4. Nov 5, 2019 #4 of 12
    Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    What did you do that seemed to solve the problem?

Rich

5. Nov 6, 2019 #5 of 12
    inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    I’d suggest first trying to disconnect the internet connection to the system and see what happens. How exactly is it all connected to the internet anyway?

6. randyk47

randyk47 Icon

Aug 21, 2006
    San Antonio, TX
    I had an HR54 quit working a little over a week ago. Up until the failure it was fine and no problems with Whole-Home or maintaining the Internet connection. DirecTV overnighted a new (refurbished) HR54 to me so I figured no problem. Supposedly a simple plug and play. Nope. While nothing else changed the replacement HR54 would not maintain the Whole-Home or Internet connection to my other two units. Spent a lot of time with a Tulsa based tech trying to get the unit set up and stabilized. It would work then disconnect then work and so on. She supposedly elevated the problem but I heard nothing and periodic checks showed the same flakey off and on and off again behavior. Got the time and patience yesterday afternoon to attack the problem again. I really didn’t want to go through the tech call routine again but wanted it fixed. Surprise surprise before I called I checked Whole-Home and the downstream Internet connection again and everything was working. In checking the HR54 information I noticed a firmware update from the previous night. Not saying I had anything to do with that but it appears with others having the same or similar issues the tech folks hopefully came up with a fix.

7. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2008
    Is your GENIE connected by (wire) or wireless direct to your Switch/router? or is connected by Deca unit at the (switch/Router)? -If connected by a deca unit --remove that.and connect direct to your (switch /router)

I would suggest you try using your remote and do a search of all (CLEARMYBOX) the unit will reboot . then after it comes back see if anything changes.

How Old is your Router? NOT that it may be an issue - but if it's 5 years or older a New one may make the difference.

8. raromr

raromr Legend

Jun 24, 2010
    I’m still getting drops. Reset stays the problem for a week or so then only the 54 drops/disconnects.

9. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    How many HRs do you have? What does your setup look like?

Rich

10. raromr

raromr Legend

Jun 24, 2010
    HR54 and 3 HR24s. Coax connection. Rep out today and replaced wiring. Just dropped again.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019 at 10:10 PM
  11. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Just reread this thread. Some suggestions about your Internet setup causing the problem. I know that might sound a bit far fetched but you ought to make sure that's not what is giving you the issue. I've had Internet problems that did things I never expected.

Rich

12. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    what about use Ethernet ports instead of coax for a server and clients ?
    @rarom - did you try all recommendation here ? or just venting ?