1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Genie (HR44) plus 3 HD DVR's

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by gmccollum, Aug 15, 2013.

1. gmccollum

gmccollum New Member

Aug 15, 2013
    Pensacola, FL
    I will be building a new house and currently have 4 HD DVR's (2 x HR24, HR21, & HR20). I am going to ditch the HR20 and go with an HR44 and the three newer HD DVR's. I understand I will need a SWM16 due to the total of 13 tuners in the setup but if I use whole-house will both sides (outputs) of the SWM16 see all programming on every DVR? Is there a way to segregate so that the HR44 and its clients will see the HR44 recordings and the other DVR's see each other's but not the HR44 and vice-versa? Thanks.

2. longrider

longrider Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Apr 21, 2007
    Elizabeth, CO
    With the SWM16 all DVRs can see each other. To segregate like you are describing you will need 2 SWM8s running in parallel unless there is a way to break the DECA connection inside the SWM16 that I am not aware of. Internally a SWM16 is just 2 SWM8s with the necessary circuits to bridge the DECA between the two

3. evan_s

evan_s Hall Of Fame

Mar 3, 2008
    You should be able to place a deca filter on either of the sides to isolate them from each other.

4. Supramom2000

Supramom2000 In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

Jun 20, 2007
    Colbert, WA
    Can you put the deca filter at the swim? I have only used them at the receiver. In which case, any receiver that has the filter cannot see any other receivers at all. And if I remember correctly, it does not get internet or network features either.

5. longrider

longrider Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Apr 21, 2007
    Elizabeth, CO
    The DECA filter at the SWM output would work to isolate the two sides but you bring up a good point about internet. Only one side would get internet access, you could put a CCK on both sides but then you ethernet network would bridge the two sides. This could be done with networking but it would take better equipment than your typical home router

6. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    and for clarification the DECA filter is knows asa a BSF or Band Stop Filter

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk

7. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    You can use a BSF at the SWM output as described to block the HR44 from seeing the other DVRs and vice versa.

To allow both sides to have internet, simply use two routers. It could be the same brand as the one you already have, or different, doesn't matter. You'd need to configure the second router to use a different IP range than the first router, most default to 192.168.1.x unless you change it. Let's say you set it for 192.168.2.1. It will also need a different SSID if you enable wireless on it (disable wireless on the second router unless the Genie will be connected to it via wireless)

Plug the second router's WAN port into one of the LAN ports of the first router. Connect the Genie to the second router, connect the other DVRs via the first router however you have it working now. Since the Genie and the other DVRs will be on separate subnets, they won't be bridged and won't see each other, but both will have Internet access.

8. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    I will be building a new house and currently have 4 HD DVR's (2 x HR24, HR21, & HR20). I am going to ditch the HR20 and go with an HR44 and the three newer HD DVR's. I understand I will need a SWM16 due to the total of 13 tuners in the setup but if I use whole-house will both sides (outputs) of the SWM16 see all programming on every DVR? Is there a way to segregate so that the HR44 and its clients will see the HR44 recordings and the other DVR's see each other's but not the HR44 and vice-versa? Thanks.

Bsf filters will work, but really, history mention clients now as well as your DVRs. What is your whole setup and what are you trying to do. There may be more than end way to do it.

Make sure all cables run to a home run spot and you will have an easier time manipulating your system as you like.