1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Genie installation questions?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by jcmwwe, Sep 4, 2013.

1. jcmwwe

jcmwwe Mentor

Jul 29, 2009
    Hi alright. They r bringing my genie tomorrow. Do u get a new remote with it or keep yours? Also they told me to keep my dvr for my second receiver instead of switching to a genie mini. Is that better way to go? Thanks.

2. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    If you get an HR44, you will get an RC71 remote. This remote is the only remote you an use if you want to use the remote in RF mode. The old DirecTV remotes will work fine in IR mode. If you have the HR34, you can use the old remotes in either IR or RF mode, so you will not get a new remote unless you ask for one (and it won't be a RC71 in that case).

As for keeping a DVR instead of getting a Genie mini is something that most people would probably recommend. Along with giving you 2 more tuners and additional recording space, if the Genie fails, you would still be able to watch TV. The Genie mini is a good option when space is limited or the location is not used frequently.

- Merg

3. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Possibly so. Need more detail to be definitive.

4. jcmwwe

jcmwwe Mentor

Jul 29, 2009
    What do u mean.

5. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    The conventional receivers are arguably a better solution than the Genie Mini. While they consume a little more power, they can operate fully autonomous of the Genie in the event that it isn't working properly. Other than the power consumption, there's no additional cost to you.

6. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    Yes, a DVR is a thousand times better then a mini.

7. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Except you don't have TrickPlay functionality unless you start to record a show first and you don't have access to management of your recordings from a receiver.

- Merg

8. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    And a client is small, noiseless, can be hidden, etc.

It is a choice, and YMMV.... Not may, it does vary.

9. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    This is the BIG one for me. winner