Genie issues over time...

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Rockermann, Nov 30, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Rockermann

Rockermann Legend

Aug 9, 2007
    Hey folks,

I've had a Genie HR44 now, with 2 wireless Genie minis (and an HR24 DVR in the basement) for about 5 months and while I love the setup for the most part, there are some ongoing issues that I hope there are some workarounds or fixes for.
    1. One mini will occasionally upon powering on, grab a buffer from the main Genie I guess, and just 'stutter' at the end of the buffer. Just bits of audio/video jumbled over and over... Nothing works at that point. No trick plays, rewind nothing. Channel is unwatchable. You can change the channel and the new channel will work fine. Back to the original one and it's stuttering still. Only 'fix' seems to be rebooting the mini. When it comes back, the buffer for that channel is go and it performs as normal.
    2. Sometimes when powering on the TV (Main Genie is never turned 'off') the 'DirecTV' screensaver is on. Pressing a key on the remote causes it to go away, but after that, there is never a buffer on the current channel.
    Seems like there was another issue, but that's all I can remember at the moment.

Any thoughts???

2. poppo

poppo Hall Of Fame

Oct 10, 2006
    My HR20s that were always left on would almost always have the screen saver on when I turned on the TV. It often would also come on for no reason when the TV was on. I always assumed it was due to lack of input from the user (i.e. not using the remote for a certain period of time).

Now, I also have a HR54 that I also always leave on and have never had the screen saver be on when I turn on the TV. I have never lost the buffer after turning on the TV either, as long as the Genie was left on. Now I do have the HDMI control turned off, and also have a powered HDMI switch (that is always on). Not sure it that has anything to do with it.

3. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    2. The buffers on the Genies are. It like the HD DVRs. The Genies will dump the buffers while idle, and this is normal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Dec 2, 2016 #4 of 17
    poppo

poppo Hall Of Fame

Oct 10, 2006
    I disagree. My HR54 has yet to dump the buffer as long as it's left on. Now the HR54 will dump it if is turned off, where the HR20 would not dump it if it was turned off. But if the HR54 is left on, the buffer stays intact. At least mine always has. And as I noted, I have not had the screen saver pop up for no reason either on the HR54. I just now turned on my TV and had a full buffer from overnight.

OTOH the HR20s would randomly dump the buffer whether it was idle or not which. Initially the HR20s would randomly do it after some period of inactivity, but more recently they do it whenever they feel like it. I have had those dump the buffer as little as 20 minutes after changing a channel or doing some other activity with the remote. This was on 3 different HR20s. It is random and not predictable. It might only do it once a day, or sometimes not at all. You can always tell when it happens because the banner pops up and it brings you back to live if you were behind in the buffer. If you already were caught up to live, the banner would still pop up. I have the TV on pretty much all day, so I have had plenty of time to observer the behavior.

5. Dec 2, 2016 #5 of 17
    peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    that is exactly what i meant. When you turn off the genie it will dump the buffer.

6. Dec 2, 2016 #6 of 17
    poppo

poppo Hall Of Fame

Oct 10, 2006
    Well "idle" and "turn off" are two different things IMO. And it does not operate the same as other HD DVRs. The HR20 does not dump the buffer when turned off. Nor does it dump the buffer if the screen saver is on when the TV is turned on and the HR20 was not powered off. The OPer said he leaves his HR44 on and it dumps the buffer if the screen saver is on when he turns on the TV. So I disagree that what the OPer mentioned is "normal" for all genies or all HD DVRs.

7. Dec 2, 2016 #7 of 17
    peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    This post should have been, The buffers on the Genies aren't like the HD DVRs. The Genies will dump the buffers while idle (off), and this is normal.

8. Dec 2, 2016 #8 of 17
    peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    I see your concussion, see above. If was a typo.

9. Dec 3, 2016 #9 of 17
    poppo

poppo Hall Of Fame

Oct 10, 2006
    In any case the OPer said that he leaves the Genie on, and if it has the screen saver on when he turns on the TV, the buffer dumps when he dismisses the screen saver. I do not believe that is normal. As I noted, I never turn mine off either and have yet to have the screen saver come on when the TV has been off or loose the buffer when dismissing it when it comes on after pausing. But I don't know if it is because I have HDMI control turned off and have that powered HDMI switch.

10. RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    When the screen saver kicks in the machine believes itself to be in standby, idle, whatever you want to call it, and dumps the buffer. The buffer dumped the moment the SS kicked in, not when the SS is "dismissed". That is normal for a Genie. Your SS may not come on because you've turned off "power save", the OP may not have turned off "power save".

It is normal, coded in even, for a Genie to dump buffers. We were told that long ago. Does it suck? Yup, it does but it's the way it was designed.

11. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    The Genie does not handle buffers like older DVRs. Even if you leave the Genie on, and don't enable the screen saver, it may still dump the buffer.

The ONLY way to be assured of having something available is to RECORD it.

I used to rely on an HR24 buffer to review morning news. After getting a Genie, I found the only reliable way to accomplish that was to set a series link for the morning news. You could also set a recurring manual recording as opposed to a series link, but same thing.

12. poppo

poppo Hall Of Fame

Oct 10, 2006
    IMO standby and idle are two different things. Standby is turning it off, and yes the buffer dumps on the HR54. Idle to me means that I have not been using the remote for some period of time and the machine thinks nobody is watching and either turns on the screen saver and/or dumps the buffer. And if the screen saver comes on because you just have it paused, it does not dump it. At least mine doesn't. And I have yet to have the screen saver come on for no reason even if I have had the same channel all day and not touched the remote.

I have actually been having the exact opposite experience. On my HR20s, they would randomly dump the buffer for no reason, screen saver on or not. If you were behind live, oh well, you lost whatever you had not seen yet. I have yet to have the screen saver come on for no reason on my HR54 (unless I paused it) or have it randomly dump the buffer as I noted above.

So I don't know whether calling something "normal" is the correct term if it does not behave the same for everyone.

13. RunnerFL

Jan 4, 2006
    Not to the Genie they aren't.

14. poppo

poppo Hall Of Fame

Oct 10, 2006
    The manual says "The Power Saving option automatically puts these Receivers into Standby
    mode when there is no activity on your Remote for 4 hours". I agreed that the buffer dumps when it goes into standby mode. However, I also said that I have power save turned off and it will never go into standby mode when "idle". The OPer indicated that he leaves his on, and when he turns on the TV the screen saver is on. He did not indicate if he has power save on or off. If power save is off, then I do not think it is normal behavior. And if he has power save on and it is going into standby after 4 hours, then why is the screen saver even coming on?

15. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006

I'd say the difference is you are forcing it into idle vs it waiting a period of time without interaction before it goes into idle on its own.

16. RunnerFL

Jan 4, 2006
    whatever... I really don't know why I even bother lately. Everyone just wants to argue. Think what you want... Idle could mean Orange and standby mean Green for all I care anymore.

17. NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    For what it is worth, I have measured the power draw on the Genies, (34,44 and 54). Whether they are live or in a mode where all the lights are off and no TV is in use, and no recording is in process, the power draw is the same. No power savings in idle, standby, off etc.