Genie Mini Model: C41-700 not connected

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Pigspinner, Nov 17, 2014.

1. Pigspinner

Pigspinner New Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Ohio
    I have a Directv system that consist of (1)HR44-700 (4) H25-100 (3) C41-700. One morning while watching one of the C41-700's the picture started to freeze and tile. Now none of the C41's work. They all come up cable not connected after a reset. All these units use coax (Not wireless). If I go to the HR44-700 and hit add client it gives a 4 digit code but that does not matter, C41's still say no connection. I have unplugged the SWM power inseter, HR44-700 and all C41's. I can move my H25"s into room that the C41's do not work and they work fine. Moving C41's into other rooms does not change, still come up no connection. I spent hours on the phone with Directv, they are shipping me three C41's. I know that will not help, what are the odds three boxes failed? This has me stumped.

2. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Monterey...
    Total guess- but does your account info. show these clients?
    Have you gone through the settings re: Whole Home to make sure sharing didn't get toggled off?

3. Pigspinner

Pigspinner New Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Ohio

4. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    By chance, are the 3 C41s on a common coax run? Any OTA diplexers?

5. Laxguy

Dec 2, 2010
    Monterey...
    Wow. I am baffled. Sounds like you've done the right troubleshooting, maybe worth another call to get them reauthorized.

6. Pigspinner

Pigspinner New Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Ohio
    [SIZE=10.5pt]I know that one of the C41's run to a two set splitter that is fed by one of the two main splitters. I also know if I replace a non working C41 with a H25 the H25 works fine. I can then move the non working C41 to the place I removed H25 and it still does not work.[/SIZE]

7. Pigspinner

Pigspinner New Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Ohio
    I really feel thats what it is going to take but Directv refuses to allow you to talk to someone at a higher tier level when you call, they read from a book and have you do things that you have already done and then try to sell you a service contract.

8. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    How is your Genie connected to the internet?

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

9. Pigspinner

Pigspinner New Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Ohio
    Wireless. I even reconnected it during my attempt to get these C41's working. I honestly do not understand how these C41's work. All the information I can find on the net explains the wireless C41's, mine are wired to the same splitter as the H25's. What is the benefit of these little guys?

10. Laxguy

Dec 2, 2010
    Monterey...
    I've been under the impression that re-authorization was run of the mill, just have to tell them to do it. Or ask firmly. But no recent experience on that.

11. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    They 'borrow' a tuner from the Genie. They also use the low end (DECA) frequencies on the Coax. H25 and others with tuners use the higher (SWiM) channels on the coax.

That was the reason for my question about diplexers on the coax. They're not allowed on DECA.

12. Pigspinner

Pigspinner New Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Ohio
    Directv installers installed this system one year ago and it has worked fine until Friday. All three C41's quit at the same time.

13. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    The only thing I can think to try is either a 2 way splitter at your Genie with a short jumper to the C41. Or try to get the 41 on the same splitter as the Genie.

14. Pigspinner

Pigspinner New Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Ohio
    Thanks for the tip I will try that.
    I did find this while scouring the internet:
    [SIZE=10pt]This solution worked perfectly... Go to main Genie and open the cover on right front- [/SIZE][SIZE=11pt]push red button[/SIZE] [SIZE=10pt]and then go to each mini receiver and push the red button on the right side. Takes up to 5 minutes to reboot and the other TV's may still display the "no server" message until the genie unit is fully booted. Then they will all re-search and connect. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]They say the trick is you have hit the hidden red button on the HR44 then hurry and hit the red button on each C41 before the HR44 reboots, the C41's will continue to hunt until the H44 restarts. There is quite a few people thanking for the fix, I won't be able to test until Tuesday Eve but I have my fingers crossed and will keep you posted.[/SIZE]

15. Pigspinner

Pigspinner New Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Ohio

16. Pigspinner

Pigspinner New Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Ohio
    Finally have all three C41's up and running. The main issue was the SWM power inserter. When DTV installed the system they put the power inserter in series with the HR44, evidently the SWM power inserter has failed is some fashion that it will not pass the signal needed by the C41's to talk to the Genie. I moved the SWM power inserter from the floor behind the HR44 and installed it in the utility closet where all the DTV feeds meet. I also removed two two set splitters and replaced them with one four set splitter. I hooked the SWM power inserter to the splitter to power the LNB's but terminated the IRD connector on the SWM power inserter. The DTV install looked horrible when you walked into utility closet, By mounting the SWM power inserter, replacing the two two set splitters with a four set splitter and wire tying all the feed cables made the job look the way it should.

17. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    "I see" two things here:
    1) The SWiM PI has been known to give problems "sometimes" when it's been very close to a DECA receiver. "Most likely" this is an RF mismatch from the DC block in the PI.
    2) stacking/cascading splitters will have a lot more DECA loss than using one [larger] splitter.

An easy "solution" for #1 is to move the PI farther away from the receiver and/or to the other side [input] of the splitter.