1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Genie Mini vs. older DVR as Genie clients?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by wco81, Aug 22, 2013.

1. wco81

wco81 Legend

Feb 23, 2008
    What are the differences in performance and operating costs?

I may be able to get a Genie and Genie Mini or just get a Genie and keep an HR22.

Does the Genie Mini have the same mirroring costs as the second DVR?

2. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Genie clients have the same mirroring cost. The only real benefits of the client:

Very small size
    No hard drive noise
    Full access to the Genie system (To Do list, series manager etc)

The HR22 will be able to view programming on the Genie but won't be able to do anything else on the Genie.

If the client is being used for live TV or in a live tv buffer, it uses a tuner from the Genie.

Also keep in mind that the Genie requires Whole Home, which is $3 unless you already pay the $25 Advanced Receiver fee (which incorporates DVR, HD and Whole Home).

3. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Since the costs are the same, IMO, you should keep the HR22

4. Hotelone

Hotelone Cool Member

Feb 18, 2008
    Central...
    X2

5. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    How many people, in the house, and how much panic would you go into if you lost DIRECTV service for a day or two if your hardware broke? And what do you have now, other than the HR22?

I know a lot of people always say never get rid of that second DVR, but sometimes it makes more sense too IMHO. Sometimes.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

6. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    The only way it makes sense IMO, is if you are starting up to build the system. Once you have an HDDVR, I see no reason what so ever to let it go for a client

7. RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    Keep the HR22 and have 2 more tuners for recording and space for storage. It's the same $6/mo for the Genie Client or the HR22 so you might as well get more bang for your buck.

8. yanksno1

yanksno1 Mentor

Jun 4, 2004
    Boynton...
    Isn't there a $10 advanced receiver HD monthly charge to the HR-22 (and for all extra DVRs, besides the main one)? Assuming he takes the Genie as his main DVR.

9. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    No, that is only charge once per account per month. so an account with 1 HDDVR or 10, has the same "advanced" charges. that would be $10 for DVR service and $10 for HD service

10. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    The only way it makes sense IMO, is if you are starting up to build the system. Once you have an HDDVR, I see no reason what so ever to let it go for a client

And i just think it depends on the person and the system. If they have a sd receiver and a HR21 and never come close to filling up the dvr and only have one or two people in,the house,I'd replace that in a heart beat with a genie and a client. Why not keep everything simplistic in terms of organizing recordings etc. such an easy way to control everything and have the same interface at both tvs.

I look at the total of what they ave now and would have with a genie and mini system and if the genie and mini system gives them a lot mirth an they have now, and they don't need complicated setup,I say stick to one DVR personally. ,its just easier for the majority of people.

11. shendley

shendley Hall Of Fame

Nov 27, 2005
    I recently faced a similar decision with two older, failing HDDVRs and one pretty new HR 24. I decided to lose both older HDDVRs for a Genie and a mini. But I kept the newer HR 24 just in case there's a problem with the Genie. I even kept duplicate series links on the Genie and HR 24 for the shows we care about the most (but not for HBO and Showtime series since It's easy to get anything lost there again via VOD) in case anything happens to one or the other. I really like the security of having that HDDVR in addition to the Genie. So, if it were me, I would keep the HDDVR as a client and only get a mini if you wanted to establish a third television.

12. usnret

usnret Icon

Jan 16, 2009
    I kept my HR22 when I got my HR34. Use the 22 for the wife's programs and the 34 for mine. Just a thought...

13. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    For me an HDDVR is just a "place holder" . so even if you have an HR21, that can later be replaced (if it breaks) with perhaps something better with a little bit of luck

14. woj027

woj027 Icon

Sep 3, 2007
    Portland, OR
    what about replacing an H24 with a Mini? what is the added benefit? pausing live TV? smaller? Does it have a faster, slower, or not noticable response with regards to channel tuning?

I have an HR-20, so I assume I won't have to part with it if I upgrade, maybe I put it on a shelf somewhere in case of Genie failure.

15. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    what about replacing an H24 with a Mini? what is the added benefit? pausing live TV? smaller? Does it have a faster, slower, or not noticable response with regards to channel tuning?

I have an HR-20, so I assume I won't have to part with it if I upgrade, maybe I put it on a shelf somewhere in case of Genie failure.

The added benefit of using the Mini over the H24, is as you mentioned, the ability to pause Live TV. You also have full access to the Genie's ToDo List and Series List. With regard to speed, the C31 was a tad sluggish for me, however, the C41 had about the same response as my HR24, which I think is pretty good.

- Merg