1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Genie on the way... do I keep it?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by GregM535, Aug 13, 2013.

1. GregM535

GregM535 New Member

Jul 9, 2013
    Boston, MA
    I am an newbie here, so bear with me.

My setup currently has two HR24-100's - each using an external 1GB hard drive. One of the HR24's started having issues with pixelization and then came up with a repairing hard drive error screen after a red button reboot yesterday. I think it "fixed" the errors, but I have read that the error screen is the beginning of the drive or device dying. I am on the support plan and I was planning on replacing one of the HR24's with the HR44 in March2014 for free under the plan (assuming the HR44's would be readily available in March). It would be nice to not have to worry about recording conflicts.

My main gripe with the HR24-100's is the fans are loud and run constantly, even though I am using external drives.

I called customer retention and after a longish talk they are giving me a $250 credit towards a Genie (the Genie will cost $52 after taxes) to replace the possibly bad HR24-100, and they are shipping the Genie over night. Trouble is I have no idea which model Genie will show up. I don't think the HR44's are in the North East region yet, but I don't know if that matters since they are shipping it to me. My troubled HR24-100 seems to be working OK at the moment, but I don't know how long that will be the case.

If an HR44 shows up I will certainly keep it, but since it seems an HR34 is more likely to show up, I am not sure what I should do. I have the option of refusing the shipment or returning it if the HR34 is delivered. The rep also told me that this will not affect my ability to upgrade my DVR's in March under the two year free upgrade service plan deal.

So it looks like I will need to make a decision tomorrow if a HR34 arrives. Do I keep it or send it back? Would the HR34 be quieter than the HR24-100? It seems like there are a lot of people with complaints about the HR34, but I would guess that is the case with all DVR's. Also, the customer retention rep told me that you couldn't play recordings from the HR24 through the HR34, but you can play HR34 recordings through the HR 24, but I just saw a post that stated it works fine either way.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

-Greg

2. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    I've had no fan noise issue on my 34.

The retention rep was wrong, you can access recordings on either box, though anything on the external recorded from the old DVR won't be accessible. You will need Whole Home service if you don't already have it.

3. GregM535

GregM535 New Member

Jul 9, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Thanks, that is good news. For the life of me I can't figure out why the fans are always running on the HR-100's, since neither box is in an enclosed spaces and we are using external drives.

We do have Whole Home service. The rep said I can just plug the cables from the old box into the new one and we should be all set. Thanks for reminding me about losing the recording on the box I return. At least this is a good time of the year to lose recordings!

Besides being wrong about accessing recordings from the HR24, the rep didn't know anything about the hard drive scanning disk error screen, nor did her colleagues. I was a bit surprised since (in my experience) customer retention reps have been pretty knowledgeable in the past. I also wonder if receiving a replacement DVR will change the date for my 2 year upgrades.

Seems like it might be worth keeping whichever Genie shows up.

4. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Yes and no really. It doesn't affect contracts etc, but HR34 to HR44 isn't considered an upgrade. They only count upgrades between classes, like HD DVR to a Genie.

5. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    I've had my HR34-700 for three months now. It's a damn good HD DVR. Yes there are some who have reported issues with their HR34s but if you look around the site there are threads about issues with the HR44s. Both models have a 1TB HD, 5 tuners, and the same recording capability. So unless you really need one or more of the added features of the HR44 you wont be disappointed with the HR34.

6. GregM535

GregM535 New Member

Jul 9, 2013
    Boston, MA
    I wonder if that means that replacing my HR24 with a HR34 will be considered as my 2 year upgrade? Might not matter, but I do like the idea of being able to "upgrade" for free next year.

7. GregM535

GregM535 New Member

Jul 9, 2013
    Boston, MA
    That is good to know. Hate to admit it, but I don't really know all of the differences between the HR34 and HR44, since I wasn't planning on doing anything with my DVR's until next year (not knowing makes the waiting easier). I did hear that the HR44 is quieter (no fan?) and much smaller than the HR34.

8. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Yes, going from a HR24 to a HR34 or 44 would be considered an upgrade and a 2 year re-commitment once it's activated .

9. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Briefly, the differences are the HR44 is smaller and more compact as the power supply is external via a power brick adapter. It has a fan, but it only runs during abnormal overheating conditions. For normal operation the -44 is cooled through heat sink fins on its sides. It has a slightly faster processor, a built in wireless Cinema Connection Kit (CCK-W) and the RF remote functionality uses the new 2.4 GHz based RF4CE ("Zigbee") protocol.

Besides these, it's essentially identical to the HR34 in features, operation and capabilities.

10. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Shusssh .... quiet ....

My HR34 has been regularly streaming programs over WH from my sister's HR24 for over a year now. Don't tell it that it can't do that or it might quit. ... :D

11. GregM535

GregM535 New Member

Jul 9, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Love it :goodjob:

12. GregM535

GregM535 New Member

Jul 9, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Thanks for the info. I can live without those HR44 features, although a faster processor is always nice. As long as the HR34 is quiet most of the time I think I will be fine with one. Of course I am still hoping a HR44 shows up...

13. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Greg-

First, welcome to DBSTalk! I saw your post in the other thread that you referred to.

You might also wish to remove the external drive from the '24 that is problematical and see how she runs on its internal drive.
    OTOH, if the Genie is at your doorstep, you might just want to run off (watch!) the recordings as fast as you can in order to return the box.

14. GregM535

GregM535 New Member

Jul 9, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Thanks for all of your help and suggestions. I found one problem with the HR34 - it would be too tall to fit in my cabinet! The cabinet is open on all sides for ventilation, but the shelf is only 3" tall and the HR34 is 3.25" tall :bang

So if a HR34 shows up today I have decided to send it back. Then I will try to negotiate keeping the credit they gave me towards ordering an HR44 from weaKnees or SolidSignal.

15. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Greg, I see that you are trying to put this unit on a shelf that is 3" high, is that the same shelf you have your current HR24's on? If so, thats probably why your fans are running constantly, since they are 3" tall themselves you have given them no breathing room on top at all....even though the newer units are not necessarily vented on the top, heat still rises....

16. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Good catch. I like to give my unit plenty of breathing room, at least 8" high and 2" or so on the sides.

* the bait is out there. Let's see who bites...

17. GregM535

GregM535 New Member

Jul 9, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Thanks guys.

The 3" inch shelf is very recent and it only affects one of the DVR's - and not the one I had trouble with. The "bad" HR24-100 is on top of a cabinet with plenty of space around it. I was planning on changing rooms when the Genie shows up. The HR24-100 fans have always run full time and at the same speed since I received them. It doesn't seem to matter where I place them. I have been with Directv since 1997 and have had plenty of different DVR's over the years including HR21 Pros, HD TIVOs, etc. and I am very aware of the need for ventilation for DVR's and other electronics.

The shelf I plan to put the Genie on is only 3" high (for now at least), but is completely open on all 4 sides, so it should have adequate ventilation.

I didn't know the HR-34 was larger than the HR24's until this morning, I thought it would be smaller since I had seen something about the Genie a month ago (apparently the HR44) and didn't realize there was another earlier version. I have done a crash course in current Directv DVR's in the last 12 hours since I don't have the time to keep up with this stuff like I did when I was younger.

18. GregM535

GregM535 New Member

Jul 9, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Update: Directv sent an HR34 and I refused the delivery. I spoke with customer retention and my credit will still apply, so I ordered the HR44 from weaKnees. Should be here in a week.

19. Jacob Braun

Jacob Braun King of Awesome

Oct 5, 2011
    Tulsa, OK
    Yeah the HR34 is a beast of a DVR. It was the best DVR I've ever had until it died =(. My tech swapped it out with an HR44, and I am extremely happy with it as well. And now the HR44 is the best DVR I've ever owned!

One thing you'll love about the 44 is the size. It's like H24-sized or smaller. Extremely quiet too! I don't even really notice the speed difference (except for when rebooting it...then it's amazing!). You'll be quite happy with it.

One thing, make sure that they have a $250 credit on your bill. If they credited it in the ordering system and then cancelled the order because you refused shipment, it will probably reverse the credit. Certainly make sure that you keep that credit while you are activating it.

20. GregM535

GregM535 New Member

Jul 9, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Thanks Godfather, I am looking forward to getting the HR44. I called Directv and the retention rep told me the credit wasn't tied to the Genie so it should be on the bill, but I will make sure that it is.

BTW, I ordered one of these docking stations: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005UA3I72/ref=pe_385040_30332200_pe_309540_26725410_item to use with the Western Digital WD20EURS AV-GP 2 TB drive I have been using on the HR24. I was using a Thermaltake Max 5, which doesn't work well at all. It fills up with dust (probably overheats) and I suspect the Max 5 case was the main cause of the hard drive errors I encountered.