1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Genie or Snake in a box

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by tazman, Feb 25, 2013.

1. tazman

tazman Cool Member

Feb 17, 2013
    I love Directv. Ive had Dish, Time Warner and have seen my local telco companys fiber optic (Verizon Fios) version and Directv as a whole including their customer service, which by the way still works deals like the car dealers used to do !

Why oh why do they let the Genie out of the bottle with half baked i.e. software or firmware ? Now the 44 is on its way to save the day ? where will that leave us with the HR34 ? Do we really think it will be any different.

I have had my Genie for 3 days, one of which I have been to busy to play with it because I'm writing a rant (yuk yuk) and I have already rebooted to the tune of 7 times to stop weird things that have been happening to it.

Do most of the people here just keep trolling hoping the next firmware will fix it ? I have seen people that say they have been waiting a year ! What is going on with Directv or their equipment ? I know its everywhere but I really would like a stable unit like my HR25's are.

2. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    I've had mine for about a year and a month, can't remember the last time I had to reboot to correct an issue, let alone several in one day.

3. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    I had no idea the HR25's were that stable.

4. NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    OP what kind of weird things? Are you using Genie C31 clients?

I've had my HR34 for over a year and think its a solid unit.

5. tazman

tazman Cool Member

Feb 17, 2013
    I have no clients just two HR24's (correction there) and a Genie. It stuttered and pixalated during the Oscars just last night, sometime unresponsive to the remote but after reboot it seems to settle down. I really like the PIP and the real 5 tuners ! (Da Hoppa !) NOT !

6. tazman

tazman Cool Member

Feb 17, 2013
    does the install have a warranty ? and would I gain anything by taking the 5.99 protection plan ?

7. NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida

Did you install the HR34 or did Directv? Just checking that you have a SWM16 and the two HR24's are on one output and the HR34 is on the other. In other words, you haven't exceeded a tuner count on a SWM leg.

Also you should do a system test and see if you get any errors.

And do you have WHDVR and how is the internet connected?

You seem to be having alot of issues and an HR34 with two HR24's should be a very solid system.

8. Datagg

Datagg Legend

May 17, 2009
    Mesa, AZ
    Solid system.... Sure this new one replaced is thus far. So yours was solid for a year...You got lucky. My hard drive locked up, screen froze, wouldn't come out of pauses, rewind, forward issues, live TV locked up..etc, etc.... It's beginning to get under my craw when people say "I have had no problems", therefore suggesting what?.... My bro got a HR34 also, had the same issues. My next door neighbor he is on his 3rd box, i am on my second as my Bro is also.

There are bad systems, period. DTV dodges the issues and people here make you feel like "mines been good for a year now".... So we must be wrong then. i apologize if this is coming off harshly, I truly mean no offense.... but come on, this is a real issue with these boxes.... if you got lucky and yours works great, awesome.... Some dont get a good unit, period.... Them dumping the HR34 so quickly is a sign they know of these issues. heck my installer tried to talk me out of a HR34. 2 months of hell, DTV dodging me at every corner, blaming everything on firmware issues, wait for new, things only getting worse.

It was only when I called and told them to cancel my account now did they decide to send me a new unit. Now all is working fine thus far, just updated 20 minutes ago to the new newest firmware, so we shall see if the trend continues to work. And lets face it, as i told them, we have been beta testers for the HR34..Now that they got the kinks out for the most part, the 44 comes out which im sure we wont be offered the new. Only new customers are treated with open arms and thus will get a 44, us who have been here for years on end are treated like third world citizens and im sure it will cost big bucks to get an upgrade.... The entire thing ticks me off. Anyways again I dont mean to come off disrespectful, 2 months with the HR34 with issue after issue, hours and hours on the phone week, day after day, run around after run around... Only to threaten to cancel did they perk up and want to help. Direct needs to get continuity across there business, to many call and get someone who dont care, while the next time you call you get the opposite. They need to fix that, I got the 34 FREE, next day install... My bro who has been with them for a year longer than i was told $299.99..... Called back 2 days later, got it for $49.99.... Why, got a different person. That is sad. Anwyays, sorry for the rant..... Had to get that off my chest. Here's hoping all goes good into the future for all of us.

9. unixguru

unixguru Godfather

Jul 9, 2007
    Be thankful you don't have a C31 too.

We are beta testers. It will be years before these become stable - and, no, the HR44 isn't going to be any better.

What can anyone do about it? Nada. AFAIK none of the competitions devices are significantly better. TV is a monopoly (oligopoly to be precise). So it is what is because they can.

10. Datagg

Datagg Legend

May 17, 2009
    Mesa, AZ
    Believe me I am.... Been nothing but a disaster for my Bro.

11. mrdobolina

mrdobolina AllStar

Aug 28, 2006
    A Mile High
    #firstworldproblems

Everything is amazing, and nobody is happy. :grin:

Did part of your experience involve recording 5 channels of crystal clear HD television all at the same time off of a signal from Space? Did you get to have a picture within a picture and/or serve your TV shows to a 2nd/3rd/4th TV in another area of your house?

It took 3 seconds to tune to a channel? Whoa! DTV owes me that time back. OMG! I have to push a button and reboot?!? Forget that! I'm never watching TV again.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say bad boxes are the exception, not the norm, and those that get bad boxes had bad luck (not those that got good boxes had good luck).

Datagg, if you and your neighbor are both having problems with the HR34, could it possibly be power issues in your area? Or perhaps your local installer just got a bad batch. Could the installer that tried to talk you into NOT getting an HR34 have just been lazy?? Could he have known they had a bad lot? I don't know.

Count me among the many who has never taken much issue with my DIRECTV technology, because it has always worked without many problems for me. When it doesn't work, customer service has always been quick with a fix or a replacement.

I don't have a Genie yet, but when I do get one (hopefully this summer or fall) I'll be happy to take the HR34 if it shows up on the truck. I've heard 98% good things about it, which in my book is a very high success rate.

12. JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

Dec 11, 2006
    Long Island, NY
    I had my 34 since Sept. '12 never had any problems.

13. Datagg

Datagg Legend

May 17, 2009
    Mesa, AZ
    Fair reply.... yet to answer you.

No power issues. Local installer bad batch?, "perhaps...But then it had to also be a bad local installer 4 hours away for my Bro too.. Still possible of course."

Lazy? "Perhaps, yet there are allot of lazy installers then".. Mine warned me of HR34 issues and unfortunately was right about every one."...

Could he have known he had a bad lot "Maybe, did the other one 4 hours away know also"... Could be.

Either way, There are issues across the board. My beef is when people dodge the issue that the HR34 is trouble for many...Ones that dont even report to this board. This is only a very small piece of the world here. DTV dodges that it is a problem with there units. i have told them repeated times, same as friends and my own family on there own issues, yet they run you through tech situations phone call after phone call (even if you know its useless) and blame everything as to why under the sun except for there end.

Only when you say you had enough, they respond in a positive way. That's been my experience, my neighbors, My family's and many more you can see out of this small slice of the world. Some don't say anything thing at all either, just deal with it until the blood pressure gets so huge it pops. That's what I did, as DTV told me the next FW will fix it even though i new it was crap.

Now I have a new unit..All seems good, yet what it took to get there was aggravating to no end. There is no continuity among service people or reps at DTV, its been a terrible 2 months thus far. I have been a customer for over 10 years. There is just no excuse for treating people as they do.

You have had great service, awesome... I have also, yet there are times I do not and am rung through the ringer. Like calling up one day and getting a $299.99 upgrade quote..To calling back 20 minutes later and offered it for free by another rep. Continuity is not there strong point.

Anyways, all is good at this point so no foul..yet I wont bet the farm on smooth sailing without bumps along the way. Hope im wrong, for me and for anyone else who deals with DTV.

14. Ed Campbell

Ed Campbell Hall Of Fame

Feb 17, 2006
    +1

15. tazman

tazman Cool Member

Feb 17, 2013
    So If you guys that say "it works great" hows does

1) Genie suggests work ? do you have it turned on ? does it record shows for you ?
    (mine has been on for 5 days and never shows anything)

2) Tv Shows that says new on the guide always tells me to check back in an hour and that has been for 5 days also

What say you ?

16. Reaper

Reaper Godfather

Jul 30, 2008
    I disagree. I've had a Hopper for about 5 months now and it has been rock solid with absolutely zero issues. The only downside for me is wanting the newer Hopper with Sling. :grin:

17. toobs

toobs Legend

Oct 10, 2012
    Same here.

18. Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2009
    You do not need to turn on Genie recommends, it will start to record shows based on other recordings that you do. At first you may wonder why it recored what it did but it will get better. I don't remember how long it took for it to start recording shows.

19. Freakyshiat

Freakyshiat Cool Member

Sep 3, 2011
    have not had a single problem with the Hr34s since I got them. Once in a while I have had to reboot after a software update, that happens like once every three updates so its not that frequent. I dont get why it is so bad for some, and just fine for others. Mine never locks up after standby, no hdmi issues, no pausing/recording/playback issues. Has been as stable as my Hr-24 since day 1.

Now I have had lots of issues with the C31, but a quick reboot ususally fixes it. The 31 is attached to a tv that always plays one channel, so my expectation for that device is not that high. If I had to use the C31 on a daily basis, browsing and navigating etc, I would have thrown it out the window.

20. tazman

tazman Cool Member

Feb 17, 2013
    So did some of us get a bad batch ?