Genie Questions

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by socal404, Jan 23, 2014.

1. socal404

socal404 Legend

Jun 26, 2007
    I have been pondering whether to get the Genie system, but don't know if I need it, and whether I will save any money by getting it. So, this is what I currently have.

Whole Home System with:
    HR-24 in Family Room
    HR-22 in Bedroom
    HR-22 in Office
    H25 (I think) in Living room (it's just a receiver. No DVR)

So, right now I can record 6 different shows at one time and watch any recording from any room. I'm being charged $3/month for the Whole Home, and $12/mo for the DVRs. I get one credit of $6.

What do you think? Would it be beneficial for me to convert?

Thanks, very much.

2. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    Money wise, you save nothing.

3. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Keep what you have.

4. Old_School

Old_School Legend

Nov 28, 2011
    PA
    Normally i would agree with the peanut gallery but, new things are cool and i like to be different sometimes... If it where me i would swap out that H25 for a Genie and allow myself to record 11 different things.. Might be a little overkill for most but, it would be awesome just to be able to :righton:

5. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    If the reason (main) to upgrade is to save money, that wish won't be granted by the Genie....

6. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    The only benefits you would gain are the features the Genie has that the other receivers do not. Money wise I agree with Drucifer and peds48.

7. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    No savings, but I'd change that H25 in a heartbeat to a 34 or 44. 5 more tuners and 1 TB of storage. (and pausing live tv)

8. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    sure, that is a good idea. Get mure features for the same monthly bill

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. HDTVFreak07

HDTVFreak07 Icon

Sep 12, 2007
    If you're eligible for a free upgrade, I'd suggest replacing one of your HR22 for a Genie.

10. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Nope you won't save any money however there are other benefits in my opinion to doing something different than what everyone else is suggesting.

I will go ahead and disagree with everybody else. Id probably move in stages to a totally different system. I would want to end up with a Genie and two mini clients and the HR 24. HR 24 the office Genie to the main room Mini's to the other two rooms. This would save you on electricity. It will allow you to control the Genie completely from three rooms. You will not lose any tuners. It'd be silent in your bedroom. And the one additional thing you would gain though is the ability to watch things from one DVR in multiple rooms at the same time other than the HR 24. Right now you can only watch in the room DVR is in or one other room you cannot watch in three rooms at the same time something that is recorded on that one DVR, Genie gets rid of that issue.

However I assume you have things recorded on your DVR so what I would do first is replaced the H 25 with the Genie and then I would move all my recordings to the Genie and then I slowly watch everything off of the HR 22 that you have in your bedroom and then replace that with the mini.

If it that point you feel you're fine and want to keep all the extra recording space you could stop however Id keep going and get rid of the other HR 22 as well myself. The speed alone is reason to change them in my humble opinion. All the other reason I have mentioned is the reason I keep going as well.

2 people like this.
  11. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    The problem with this "great" idea is that it does not work in real life. as if the TS want to upgrade every 2 months (once the HR22 has been watched) he most likely have to pay to upgrade to minis instead of getting free at the outset

12. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Maybe. If it's a self install maybe they'd do it free still. And If he could clear the two hrs first that would be optimal and do it all at once.

13. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    very doubtful as he would be on a 2 year contract. he probably be faced with an early upgrade fee as well.... Best to do it at one time what ever he wants to do