Genie Replay needs to be longer

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by vegasnv, Nov 23, 2015.

1. vegasnv

vegasnv Mentor

Jul 5, 2008
    I added a Genie (HR54) to my account.
    I'm very happy with it.
    I just wished the replay button went back the same amount of time as my HR24's.
    I haven't timed the difference, but I notice it when watching sports.
    I often end up hitting the replay button twice, because hitting it once doesn't 'rewind' it far enough.

Anyone else feel the same away?
    It'd be nice if we could get Directv to make it longer.

2. bpratt

bpratt Godfather

Nov 24, 2005
    Salt Lake...
    I have an HR44 and I feel the same way. I think the Genies only back up 4 seconds, I wish they would double it.

3. Burt

Burt AllStar

Jul 14, 2005
    FWIW, if you have a universal remote capable of multiple commands addressing a single button press (called a macro or a sequence in the language of your remote), you can gain considerable flexibility in making it do what you want.

I have Logitech Harmony Ones programmed for my HR44, HR23, and HR22. Each DVR is programmed for five presses of the Back button in rapid succession. The entire sequence is assigned to an unused button.. This gives me a 30 second Back function. (Each normal Back button press gives you a 6 second Back operation.)

Just a thought. It's quick, convenient, and reliable. Hope you rind it useful.

Burt

4. bpratt

bpratt Godfather

Nov 24, 2005
    Salt Lake...
    That's a good idea, I also use a Logitech Harmony remote so I think I will program the back button to do 2 or 3 on my HR44. I also have an HR21 and it definitely backs up more than the HR44 does when the back button is pressed.

5. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    I agree;

Very pleased with the HR54, but the instant replay isn't good unfortunately. Like a previous poster says, it seem like maybe 4 seconds back instead of 6-7.

I usually end up just using rewind for Ins. Replay because of this deficiency.

Wish it was as good as the Ins. Replay on my OTA TIVO's, which is excellent.

Sent from my SGH-M819N using Tapatalk

6. vegasnv

vegasnv Mentor

Jul 5, 2008
    I use RF mode on the Genie. I like not needing a line of site to control it.
    Are there universal remotes that can control the Genie in RF mode and other devices in IR mode?
    One that doesn't cost a fortune.

At this point I've 'programmed' myself to just hit the replay button twice any time I use it.

Does Directv have a wishlist where users can post request for changes?

7. ragweed10

ragweed10 Member

Jul 10, 2013
    San Diego
    Does the HR54 have a PHONE JACK ? (I use it for CID information on the TV Screens when I get a Call) Heard the 54 is missing the JACK.

8. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    there is no phone jack on the HR54 as such is lacking the CID function.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

9. Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick Icon

Aug 25, 2006
    Long Island
    That's a great idea. I can't believe that this never occurred to me. Tonight I will be converting the replay button on the Harmony One that controls the HR44 to be a two press macro.

10. Indiana627

Indiana627 Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2005
    I agree about the instant replay of the HR44 needing to be fixed to match that of the HR2x series.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk mobile app

11. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    HR54 as well ....

12. am3211

am3211 AllStar

Mar 23, 2008
    Is there a definitive answer as to the duration of one press of the HR44/54 "Instant Replay" button? Also what is the duration of one press of the HR24 "instant Replay" button?

They are different and seem to have changed with software releases?

13. davahad

davahad Legend

Jun 2, 2007
    I have an HR54-500 and not only is the Instant Replay not the same length as the HR24 it is also slower. Someone posted that after a recent update Quick Skip and Instant Replay are noticeably slower. So much for upgrading to the high powered HR54 which is slower than the HR24.

14. Indiana627

Indiana627 Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2005
    I believe the HR2x instant reply is about 8 seconds while the Genie version is about 2-4 seconds. A good way to test is while watching a sporting event with an actively running game clock on screen and then just see how many seconds are added to the clock with each push of the button.

15. lwilli201

lwilli201 Hall Of Fame

Dec 22, 2006
    Missouri
    If I said the replay was 2 second on my HR34 I would be being very generous.

16. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    And I'd say claiming the HR34 can legitimately do replay or any other function at all in it's present state these days is being generous ... :)