Genie RF Remote "Change Batteries" Message.....but I have !!

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by thekochs, Aug 30, 2016.

1. thekochs

thekochs DirecTV 10yr+ Customer

Oct 7, 2006
    OK....kind of driving me nuts...........I have Genie with three Minis.....all works great.
    I turn on the Genie and it tells me to change the batteries in the remote.
    I have two remotes that control the Genie so I do so on both.
    If I use one of them no message, the other the message comes up.
    I've tried several brand new batteries.

Is there some trick or something I am missing ?

Thx !

2. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Sounds like you have a defective remote. Are the batteries easily rolled while in the remote. Sometimes the batteries a just a hair too fat and bind on the side and keeps the ends from making good contact.
    Try taking the batteries out of the remote that works good and try them in the remote that gets the message.

3. ragweed10

ragweed10 Member

Jul 10, 2013
    San Diego
    What Model Remote do you have ?
    I have Never got a message about Batteries in 10 + Years with DTV ?
    Remote just starts working slowly, then change batteries.

4. thekochs

Oct 7, 2006
    An RC72 remote that comes with the Genie...and the minis.
    The "message" comes up on the DTV screen when you turn on the TV/Genie......you can hit OK and it'll go away for that viewing.

5. thekochs

Oct 7, 2006
    It seems fine....I opened up...made sure all is clean....checked terminals.....batteries seated fine.....even changed to other batteries.
    Wonder if resetting remote would help ? .....which how do you do for RC72 ?

6. thekochs

Oct 7, 2006
    SOLVED

Resetting the Remote worked...but since not very good at process ending up resetting both RC72 remotes.
    Went into DTV Menu and selected program remote, which I then on front of Genie faceplate selected RF.
    It then told me combo of MUTE+SELECT, two flashes, enter 961, then CH up button, then ENTER....now reset in RF mode.
    I then had to select TV (Sharp) and Audio device (BOSE)...and had to make sure it showed audio lockout set to BOSE.
    Did this for both remotes.
    Both work fine now........no battery replacement message on screen.

1 person likes this.
  7. ragweed10

ragweed10 Member

Jul 10, 2013
    San Diego
    That's a Lot of work.
    Mine doesn't have those problems ??

8. thekochs

Oct 7, 2006
    Hopefully you won't....I have total of 5 RC72 remotes and only one had this issue.
    I would assume for Genie + RC72 this is new software feature to tell you batteries are low on-screen.
    However, I think it was not the remote "batteries" that had issue but some wrong communication between the remote and Genie that caused the need for this message.....call is false alarm.
    Problem was since "false" putting in new batteries did not solve.....but resetting remote did solve it.

9. Sep 1, 2016 #9 of 10
    Delroy E Walleye

Delroy E Walleye AllStar

Jun 9, 2012
    While exceedingly rare, I have come upon battery packages that actually have defective cells in them. Recently-replaced alkalines, checked with a volt meter and one cell will be low. Be especially wary of those bargain-priced blast packs.

I've gotten the battery message several times over the years. With the RC7x one time I think it was just the RF signal was getting blocked or interfered with. Only happened once.

The last time I got the message (on RC6x in IR mode - remote was less than a year old and batts were almost brand new) the message popped up, I was able to get two more button pushes and then remote went dead. One alkaline cell had actually leaked! Had to take the remote apart and clean it - and of course, disable the ever-annoying "active" button while I was at it...

Believe it or not, I've had the best luck with those non-alkaline cells included with most new remotes.

10. lenjack

lenjack Cool Member

Nov 14, 2006
    I had this 2 yrs ago. Tried new batteries and 2 universal remotes. Called DTV. Tech support said it was a Genie problem. They replaced it, no charge. Problem gone.