1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Genie SWM dish question

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by bpratt, Mar 27, 2013.

1. bpratt

bpratt Godfather

Nov 24, 2005
    Salt Lake...
    I currently have the 5 LNB dish with 4 RG6 cables into my house and connected to a Zinwell WB68. I would like to get the new HR44 when it is available in my area and I know my dish needs to be updated to SWM.

I live in a snow area and have installed a dish heater on the back of my dish. The heater is stuck on to the existing dish and cannot be removed. My question is:
    Can the 5 LNB dish be upgraded to SWM by just changing the LNB and leaving the dish alone? If I upgrade to an HR44 is that what the D* installer would do?

If I get an HR44, I would keep my 2 HR21-700s until I watched all the existing recordings, and then discontinue one of them.

2. Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2009
    If you keep the 2 HDDVRs on your account when you get the Genie they will install a SWiM-16 in place of your WB-68 and nothing on your current slimline dish will need to be changed.

3. bpratt

bpratt Godfather

Nov 24, 2005
    Salt Lake...
    Great. Thanks for the quick reply Scott.

4. Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2009
    No problem, but to answer your original question.... Yes they can swap the lnb for a swim lnb if you do drop to 8 or less tuners at the time of the install. As long as it's already a slimline the dish can stay.