1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Genie to Genie 2 upgrade

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by rollsabers, Dec 4, 2018.

1. rollsabers

rollsabers New Member

Oct 31, 2010
    I currently have a genie with esata 3TB hard drive connected. Have upgrade schedule to get Genie 2 along with 4k receivers. Is it possible to connect my current external drive into the genie 2 and not lose recording or other settings? If not is it possible to connect to any older receivers (have couple not sure model numbers) and will it boot and allow to access recordings and settings?

In past prior to ATT during upgrades Directv would allow me to keep current receiver, deactivate, then ship back at a later date. ATT is now allowing this.

2. Grafixguy

Grafixguy Godfather

Mar 15, 2008
    New Jersey
    No and no.

3. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    What Genie model do you have now?

4. rollsabers

rollsabers New Member

Oct 31, 2010
    Thanks for the replies. The current Genie is a HR44-200.

5. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    You will not be able to view the content on the 44's external drive. You will be able to see it on the Playlist but you're gonna have to delete all the programs. If they let you keep the 44 (which I doubt) you can use that to view the content on the external drive if you disconnect the coax before they deactivate it.

Rich

6. rollsabers

rollsabers New Member

Oct 31, 2010
    Thanks again. Everyone is correct mostly sports and movies that are not always on demand or want to pay for. I have in the past with older DVRs been able to keep, not active, skip past all the satellite errors after boot and access the list to play as a stand alone device. Doesn't sound like that's the case now.

Anyone know if a external hard drive can be moved from one HR44-200 to another HR44-200 and keep recordings?

7. makaiguy

makaiguy Icon

Sep 24, 2007
    Aiken, SC
    Many of us know, and no you can't. They can only be played back on the DVR that recorded them.

Exception: I've heard that off-air recordings recorded via an attached AM-21 tuner CAN be played back on another DVR. I've never owned one so I can't verify.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018 at 4:02 PM
  8. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Recordings are encrypted to the DVR and cannot be transferred to another DVR.