1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Genie Upgrade Question

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by DMRI2006, Mar 27, 2013.

1. DMRI2006

DMRI2006 Godfather

Jun 13, 2006
    hi everyone,
    Went to change my programming today and the CSR gave me the $49 upgrade option for the Genie. Without having done my homework on the Genie, I wanted to read up here and ask what everyone thought I should do before jumping in.

Right now I have:
    HR22-100 DVR
    HR24-100 DVR
    H24-100 Receiver

SWM (Not DECA)
    Whole Home (via ethernet; the H24 receiver isn't connected to my network though as I don't have an ethernet hooked up)

After reading up -- we're happy with what we have, and I'm a bit concerned over the fast-forward bugginess of the Genie DVR (if that's accurate with what I've read). That said replacing the current H24-100 with an HD DVR seems to be a good bet, and to get it connected with the rest of our DVRs would be a plus.

SO, is the best idea to replace the H24-100 receiver with a Genie DVR, and keep my existing DVRs as is? The CSR said I could do pretty much anything, so I was wondering if this was the most prudent option. Again, we're pretty happy with the existing DVRs so I don't see a need to put a client there instead.

IF I replace the H24, will they put in a new dish/will I need new wiring/etc? What can I expect there?

Just wanted to get everyone's suggestions and whether or not this is a decent option.

2. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    I'd keep the H24 and swap out the HR22 for the Genie.
    All of these can network through the coax and the H24 can play any of the recordings from the other two DVRs.

3. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    If you go over 8 tuners, you will need a different LNB assembly and an SWM16 (which should be included in the installation). If you drop the H24 and add the Genie, you will have 9 tuners. If you drop the HR22 and add the Genie you will have 8.

I've got mixed emotions. I would probably keep the DVRs and drop the H24, but there are also good arguments for keeping the H24 and dropping the HR22. If you have a lot of important recordings already on the HR22, then I would keep it.

4. samrs

samrs MANC

May 30, 2004
    Flat Branch, NC
    I'd drop the HR22 like a bad habit.

Put the HR34 in the least used location, plug in an ethernet and go DECA.

Us it for the server it is, thats what I do, and don't have any issues.

Well most of the time. The HR20's got it's back.

5. Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick Icon

Aug 25, 2006
    Long Island

Why would you put the HR34 in the least used location? I'm planning on moving my equipment around to put the HR34 in my most used location since that is where I will, most likely, be when I make decisions to record something.

I currently have an HR-21 (with an external 1TB HD) in my den, an HR20 in my bedroom and an HR-21 in my guest room (where I have a stationary bike). Because I have no room for the Hard Drive in my bedroom, I plan on moving the Den HR21 to the guest room, the guest room HR21 to the bedroom and installing the HR34 in the den.

6. RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    That keeps it out of sight. If you have a Genie Client that you're using with it then you can still make decisions on what to record without being at the HR34 itself. Some people would rather see, and not hear, the tiny Genie Client over seeing, and hearing, the big HR34.

7. damondlt

damondlt New Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Newfoundland...
    :rolleyes:
    Really? Its not a bad looking receiver, and I've never heard it make any noise.
    I would rather not use a "slow operation" Client at all.;)

Now back on topic.
    I would drop the H24, Get the Swim 16 hooked up , sure the HR22 is buggy, but it can do everything, like Real DVR, VOD.

8. RunnerFL

Jan 4, 2006
    Where did I say it was "bad looking"? I said "big HR34".

Someone with keen ears can hear the fan and drive easily.

9. samrs

samrs MANC

May 30, 2004
    Flat Branch, NC
    I put it there because thats where my router is located. Got rid of a CCK.

I like using my HR24 to watch list and delete stuff. This also allows me to ignore any of the HR34's features that I might find annoying, while enjoying its benifits.

10. damondlt

damondlt New Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Newfoundland...

11. DMRI2006

DMRI2006 Godfather

Jun 13, 2006
    That's what I'm leaning towards -- our HR22 has worked very well after the last couple of firmware upgrades. Obviously not as fast as the HR24 but it's been reliable.

Of course, I call this morning and the CSR can't offer me the $49 deal -- instead the "best they can do" is the Genie for $100 and $149 total after installation.

I passed. I'll probably give it a few days and then try my luck with another agent.

12. damondlt

damondlt New Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Newfoundland...
    That makes more sence then claiming a loud fan.:)

What features do you find Annoying?

13. damondlt

damondlt New Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Newfoundland...
    I would wait, you have a very nice system as is.

14. damondlt

damondlt New Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Newfoundland...

15. DMRI2006

DMRI2006 Godfather

Jun 13, 2006
    Thanks damondlt, my wife didn't want me to do it anyway so I know she'll be happy!

Really, the more I think about it, I have no issues with what we have and it's working very well. I have MRV hooked up via ethernet to the two DVRs...the H24 standalone receiver isn't online with them, but it's in a spare room anyway used only when we have guests for the most part. (They can live without our DVR recordings lol)

Think I'll stick with what we have until a better offer rolls around again or we actually need an upgrade. I've learned to manage recordings between the two DVR's so the added tuners of the Genie would be convenient but not a necessity.

I do appreciate the responses from everyone.

16. samrs

samrs MANC

May 30, 2004
    Flat Branch, NC
    None, mine has worked perfect since 0x67E the way I use it.

Get up in the morning turn it on. It's always on the same channel, Fox News make sure nothing happened overnite. Check a few TV Apps. Go to work.

Come home watch list on the HR24 in the living room.

I havn't ever been bothered by the lights or fans on any of my HDDVR's.

My snoring dosen't bother me either.;)

17. Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick Icon

Aug 25, 2006
    Long Island
    But the OP doesn't plan on having clients. He's planning on having a Genie and 2 HD DVR's.

18. Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick Icon

Aug 25, 2006
    Long Island
    OK. I can agree with that answer. But that's different than recommending that the OP "put the HR34 in the least used location".

19. samrs

samrs MANC

May 30, 2004
    Flat Branch, NC
    But it is my least used location. All I do in that room is snore, and not nearly enough. ;)

20. RunnerFL

Jan 4, 2006
    And your point? In the future please refrain from putting words in my mouth.

Thank you.