1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Genie Upgrade w/o Install

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by SoonerChris, Sep 12, 2013.

1. SoonerChris

SoonerChris New Member

Jun 12, 2010
    Currently am not under contact and have 2 HR24-500s and 2 H24-700s w/ whole home DVR. SWiM install with an 8 port switch. From what I gather everything I have (dish/switch) is Genie ready.

If I call to get upgraded will I be able to have the equipment shipped to me or will it require an install tech to come out? Really don't have time to be at home for an install and I most definitely can complete the install myself.

2. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Only Genie ready if you deactivate some of your currently installed equipment.

You currently have 6 tuners on an 8 tuner switch and the Genue has 5 tuners. To add the Genie, you need a SWM16 switch.

3. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Yup, best to let DirecTV install this for you, at least will be cheaper as they will provide any switch and/or splitters necessary to get you going.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk

4. SoonerChris

SoonerChris New Member

Jun 12, 2010
    Sorry, didn't make it clear. I plan on replacing current equipment with 1 Genie and 3 Ginie Minis.

5. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Sorry, didn't make it clear. I plan on replacing current equipment with 1 Genie and 3 Ginie Minis.
    Makes no sense to let go of the two HDDVRs for clients

6. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Yeah, if anything, I would go with Genie, DVR, and 2 minis.

- Merg

7. Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick Icon

Aug 25, 2006
    Long Island
    I agree 100%

8. JosephB

JosephB Icon

Nov 14, 2005
    Birmingham, AL
    Sure it does. If that's what he wants, it makes sense. I have a Genie and two clilents, no HD DVRs.

In response to the OP: I don't think they will let you do what you want, unfortunately. The Genie is gonna be sent out on the installer's truck, and they'll use that as the opportunity to pick up the deactivated equipment. You can call and try, but I don't see it happening.

Edit: I take that back, are you eligible for any deals or are you going to pay for the Genie and clients? You can order from somewhere like SolidSIgnal and do everything yourself, but if you call and get any deals like a free Genie, then you're going to have to deal with an installer.

9. Curtis0620

Curtis0620 Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    I would go Genie, 2 HR24s and a H24. Have Directv install it.

10. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Sure it does. If that's what he wants, it makes sense. I have a Genie and two clilents, no HD DVRs.

In response to the OP: I don't think they will let you do what you want, unfortunately. The Genie is gonna be sent out on the installer's truck, and they'll use that as the opportunity to pick up the deactivated equipment. You can call and try, but I don't see it happening.
    Did you also started with HDDVRs? this is the BIG difference. if you are just starting, then is fine. But when you already have them, it makes no sense

11. SoonerChris

SoonerChris New Member

Jun 12, 2010
    Thanks for the info all.

@peds48, why is 2 HDDVRs better than Genie and 3 clients? I would have the ability to record 5 instead of 4.

Sounds like to me I should just stick with what I have.

12. JosephB

JosephB Icon

Nov 14, 2005
    Birmingham, AL
    Yes, I've had 3 HD DVRs before and switched to a Genie. I don't need to record a billion things at once and having everything on one box is immensely easier to deal with than trying to keep up with scheduling things on two or three different DVRs. Don't assume just because you prefer one method that it is inherently and always the best.

13. SoonerChris

SoonerChris New Member

Jun 12, 2010
    This is exactly why I was considering the Genie.

14. Curtis0620

Curtis0620 Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    If you are the only one, then yes. If you have multiple users, better to each have their own DVR.

15. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    If you have a genie and 3 minis and the genie dies, you won't be able to watch TV. The minis only work when the genie works.

Keep your 2 HR24s, get one genie and one mini.

16. JosephB

JosephB Icon

Nov 14, 2005
    Birmingham, AL
    Again, not always. With 5 tuners and a 1TB drive, most families who don't post on internet message boards can probably get by with one DVR. With appropriate parental controls set, children using the same DVR wouldn't be a problem

And if your house burns down you won't be able to watch TV either. There's a lot of circumstances that are not likely that would prevent you from watching TV. That's not a consideration most people think about or even should think about when considering their setups. I've had pay tv for 14 years since moving out of my parents' house and the only box I've ever had die was struck by lightning, and it killed the dish too.

17. Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick Icon

Aug 25, 2006
    Long Island
    I gather that you are under the impression that you have to use clients with a Genie. This is a common misconception. Existing HD equipment will work just fine with the Genie.

He's not recommending 2 HD DVR's instead of a Genie and 3 clients. He's recommending a Genie, while keeping your two HD DVR's. You can make the choice as to whether you want to replace the remaining HD receiver with a client or not. Personally, I'd keep the receiver.
    This way you will have the ability to record 9 instead of 5 and you won't "use up" Genie tuners when you are watching live TV on one of the clients.

18. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Exactly

19. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    that is the main reason. dont put all of your eggs in one basket, specially if you already have multiples.

20. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY