1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Genie Upgrade w/ Whole Home DVR

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by TorinTPG, Aug 11, 2013.

1. TorinTPG

TorinTPG New Member

Aug 11, 2013
    Georgia
    I just got upgraded to a Genie on Friday and am scheduled for the install in about a week. As part of this upgrade, I'll be moving some existing equipment around and adding a new box upstairs. My existing HR-22 DVR will be moved upstairs, my H-21 will be replaced by a Genie Mini C31 in my bedroom, and the Genie will be installed in the living room.

I currently have the H21 and HR22 communicating via my router through a wired ethernet connection. The install tech will be pulling a new coax upstairs for me to connect the relocated HR22, but how will this communicate with the Genie and C31 for the Whole Home service? I do not have a wired connection available upstairs at this time. I know that there is a DECA that can be used, but not sure of the requirements and how it would tie into the existing system

I did a forum search and did not find a thread on this, but if I missed it, my apologies!

Thanks in advance for your assistance on this

2. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    If the Genie is properly connected to the internet, the other receivers can see the internet thru it using the coax cable for the internet along with the TV signals.
    No other connections will be needed.

3. TorinTPG

TorinTPG New Member

Aug 11, 2013
    Georgia
    Well that is great news - thanks for your help

4. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    You are welcome.

5. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Yes, you'll enjoy the setup!

6. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    your H21 and HR22 will each need aDECA home adapter so that they can join the SWM (coax) network. THis will be provided by the tech

7. TorinTPG

TorinTPG New Member

Aug 11, 2013
    Georgia
    Are there major differences in speed on hr 34 vs the hr 44? I know the 44 has built in wifi. I've requested the 44, but blah blah blah... '' We cannot guarantee''

8. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Are there major differences in speed on hr 34 vs the hr 44? I know the 44 has built in wifi. I've requested the 44, but blah blah blah... '' We cannot guarantee''
    There is only a "slight" difference

9. mrdobolina

mrdobolina AllStar

Aug 28, 2006
    A Mile High
    I have another Genie upgrade question: I currently have 3 HR2X's and I am thinking about seeing about upgrading 1 of them to a Genie. If I did, would I also be required to get a Genie Mini client? Or would I be able to get a Genie and just have that with no mini client?

I'm thinking a client might be nice in our bedroom (HR22 that's in there can get noisy sometimes), but I would rather just move the seemingly silent HR24 into the bedroom and save the $6/mo. (I will only be getting rid of 1 HR2X)

10. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    I have another Genie upgrade question: I currently have 3 HR2X's and I am thinking about seeing about upgrading 1 of them to a Genie. If I did, would I also be required to get a Genie Mini client? Or would I be able to get a Genie and just have that with no mini client?

I'm thinking a client might be nice in our bedroom (HR22 that's in there can get noisy sometimes), but I would rather just move the seemingly silent HR24 into the bedroom and save the $6/mo. (I will only be getting rid of 1 HR2X)
    No client is required with the Genie. you can get the Genie as "standalone"

11. mrdobolina

mrdobolina AllStar

Aug 28, 2006
    A Mile High
    Thought so, but thanks for confirming!