1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Genie won’t let me watch live tv yet only 4 tuners are recording

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by DrummerBoy523, Dec 2, 2018.

1. Dec 2, 2018 #1 of 12
    DrummerBoy523

DrummerBoy523 Godfather

Jan 9, 2007
    Franklin, TN
    Genie automatically turned off my channel and now says that I can’t change channel but there are only 4 things recording. Any clue?

[​IMG]

0x1104
    HR44/500

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Dec 2, 2018 #2 of 12
    Delroy E Walleye

Delroy E Walleye AllStar

Jun 9, 2012
    Picture of to-do list might also be helpful. The only time I ever had this problem (on the HR44) was from cancelling an upcoming program from the guide instead of the to-do list.

Cancelled program was still "listed" and the DVR "thought" there were no free tuners. Also at that point it wouldn't let me remove it (even though the "cancelled" recording actually never happened).

Bottom line is if an episode or a program needs to be cancelled or rescheduled, always cancel from the to-do list and never the guide.

This may or may not have been exactly what happened to you, but it happened to me more than once before I figured it out.

3. Dec 2, 2018 #3 of 12
    DrummerBoy523

DrummerBoy523 Godfather

Jan 9, 2007
    Franklin, TN
    Not what happened. Was watching a football game and the stupid thing switched channels on me. Tried to switch back and this is what showed. Note it only shows 4 tuners in this screen not all 5.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Dec 2, 2018 #4 of 12
    makaiguy

makaiguy Icon

Sep 24, 2007
    Aiken, SC
    Did you have live tv on any attached clients taking up Genie tuners?

5. Dec 2, 2018 #5 of 12
    makaiguy

makaiguy Icon

Sep 24, 2007
    Aiken, SC
    Huh. Never heard that one before. Will have to add that to my bag o' tricks. Thanks.

6. ctide21

ctide21 New Member

Sep 3, 2011
    Dumb question. How do you navigate to that tuner activity screen.

7. n3ntj

n3ntj Hall Of Fame

Dec 18, 2006
    Lancaster,...
    This screen only displays, I believe, if the IRD is 'out' of tuners. I don't recall there is a way to get to this screen at other times.

8. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Absolutely the worst thing you can do is cancel things in the todo list. Worst.to often people don’t understand the consequences of doing that, like creeping it from automatically rescheduling a recording, or accidentally canceling a series.

9. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    I believe it’s a glitch and the receiver has lost track of a tuner. Need to reboot it in my experience, because it won’t have that tuner available latter either from my past experience. It requires a reboot to get it back to five tuners.

10. Delroy E Walleye

Delroy E Walleye AllStar

Jun 9, 2012
    I should've specified this was a one-off recording, not a series link. Series links do tend to take care of themselves, and those recording conflicts should be able to be addressed in the usual popup fashion.

In my experience, the tuner was not being released, and the to-do list still contained the unwanted recording which couldn't be removed, even though it wasn't actually recording it.

Yeah a restart might've taken care of it, but I had four other recordings going.

But I have to ask, SL or not, how are you supposed to cancel a recording then??

11. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    Strange that it is a problem on Directv DVRs. I cancel programs from series recordings all the time on my Tivo. For example a year ago I had a season pass for The X Files since they did a few new episodes. The local channel it was on had a couple reruns a day, and often a week or more out the exact episode wasn't set in the guide (generic guide info) so it would have those in the to do list.

I could leave them and 99% of the time it'll be resolved by the time the recordings are due, but a few cases like that and you get a pretty cluttered to do list, making it harder to find things you are looking for.

The real fix would be for episodes with generic guide info to not get recorded if you have "new episodes only" set, but unfortunately Tivo doesn't do it like that.

12. MountainMan10

MountainMan10 Icon

Jan 30, 2008
    I got this message once after I had moved receivers between rooms. Need to be careful how the receivers, the Genie and the Genie Minis are connected to the Swim.