Genie2/HS17 black screen issues

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by mightythor88, Jun 21, 2020.

1. mightythor88

mightythor88 Legend

Sep 22, 2007
    Since the most recent update (0x13af) on Tuesday, June 16 at 2:42AM, I've been getting a few "unexpected error (3)" messages where my recordings are not there. Sometimes when I turn on the TV, all of the channels are black. I have an HS17/100 Whole home setup (Genie2). Any advice will be appreciated. Thank you!

Last edited: Jun 21, 2020
  2. JerryMeeker

JerryMeeker Legend

Sep 20, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    I received 0x13af last night on my HR54/700 and have not seen any issues so far.

3. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Same here. My HR54-200 was upgraded to 0x13af early this morning. Am experiencing no issues since receiving this software.

4. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Have you tried to reset the receiver by pressing the red reset button or unplug the power to it and let it sit for a minute or so and then plug it back in ?

mightythor88 likes this.
  5. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    What clients do you have? Does it do that on all of them when you turn them on?

6. BrotherSunday

BrotherSunday New Member

Jun 25, 2020
    Just realized the update thread was trying to NOT be an issue discussion so I deleted my post there and moved it here.

After the 0x13af update I have HDMI input banner popping up after every button push on the remote: Pause. Menu. Channel up down. Info. Up arrow. Exit. It looks like the audio stream resetting each time.
    I called DTV and after a bit I was told they would open a ticket for engineering related to this update and the issues I am reporting. The next day I received an email from them saying they are closing the case because it was not a widespread issue. lol I even waited a few days after the update to call in.

Old member here but my account was deleted for non use. Wah. Im back.

HR44/4TB internal WD Purple Sony STRDN860

Last edited: Jul 3, 2020 at 5:46 PM
  7. mightythor88

mightythor88 Legend

Sep 22, 2007
    Thank you, yes, I had unplugged the 4k client, but I finally used the red button on the hub, which seems to have worked. Thank you!

8. BrotherSunday

BrotherSunday New Member

Jun 25, 2020
    Found a work-around for this issue from the HR44 but it sucks. Go to Display Settings > Video > HDMI Control and set to OFF. And then NO MORE INPUT BANNERS! This makes the issue a bit more tolerable for the time being.

I might call support back now with this info. I'm not making any real headway. I did see other complaints in model specific receiver forums related to this issue but nothing solid yet.
    FYI I'm not running 4K so I have 4k options turned off on the STRDN 860 (7.2ch Home Theater AV Receiver)