Genie2 - New wireless Genie out of range

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by randy158, Jun 14, 2021.

1. randy158

randy158 New Member

Jun 14, 2021
    I have a Genie 2 downstairs back of house and just added two Genie Minis for upstairs front of house. In one room it has a solid yellow light so think it will be okay (don't have it hooked to TV yet). On the other it is blinking red and won't connect (I do have this TV already). I am considering moving my Genie2 to the other side of my downstairs TV in case the angle might matter (case its getting blocked going to that one location). If I do, can I just move it 10 feet without unplugging or should I unplug it first? If that does not work, does Directv offer any solutions to expand range out to Genie Minis in the house?

2. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    You probably shouldn't move something with a 3.5" hard drive without powering it down.

Note that the HS17 uses a different DECA technology than the older receivers so you need to confirm that any solutions you find specifically mention compatibility with the Genie 2 and the C61K.

3. randy158

randy158 New Member

Jun 14, 2021
    Thanks for the reply. Figured as much. Still can't get used that the only way to power it down is to unplug it (no on/off switch). Figure there has to be some solution from Directv. There are houses much larger than mine.

4. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Feb 9, 2008
    Have you tried moving the one that won't connect --CLOSER -to Genie to make sure it will connect? That way you will know if it's the Signal or the Mini

5. randy158

randy158 New Member

Jun 14, 2021
    Yes I moved it closer into the other room I was planning on using. Neither of them will connect in that one corner room but moving them to the one room closer or the room beside it seems to work.

6. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    E.Mdtrn Sea
    perhaps you will need WiFi repeater/extender

Any chance to lay Ethernet cable to all rooms ?
    then using a switch , connect all your clients and the server to it, you'll have very reliable and faster connection for all devices

7. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    wired-wifi-compare.png

8. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    Can you get a coax run to somewhere closer to where you have the wireless mini's? If yes I'd recommend getting a Wireless Video Bridge, DIRECTV Wireless Video Bridge Router for Genie Receivers(WVB) to extend the range. My HS17 is on the first floor in one corner of the house and a C61W on the second floor at the other end had a marginal signal. I had an unused coax run to another room on the second floor and put a WVB up there, problem solved, good coverage all over the house.

WestDC likes this.
  9. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    DIRECTV doesn't "support" Ethernet for Whole Home use.

WestDC likes this.
  10. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    The Genie2 doesn't need to be near any TV, all televisions are served by clients. So if it is at all possible to move the Genie2 itself to a more central location that should solve your problem. You will need coax and preferably also ethernet, where you place the Genie2. That might be the overall best solution in your situation.

To test, try moving the clients into the same room the Genie2 is in. If they work, then move them halfway back to where you want them and see if they work. Then try another jump and keep doing this until you find the range at which they work. Maybe just moving the Genie2 to the other side of the room it is in will do the trick (or even a smaller move).

Make sure the Genie 2 is upright (don't lay it down on it's side), and make sure it is not inside a cabinet or something else that has any type of metal on it. Also, make sure there is nothing metal in between the Genie2 and your clients (or minimize to the extent you can). This includes such things as furnace ducting (a great signal blocker).

Good luck.

11. randy158

randy158 New Member

Jun 14, 2021
    Thank you everyone for your replies.

I actually got both working today. Not sure what happened. I followed the same process as before but now when I sent the add client signal from the Genie 2 they received the signal. Only issue I had with one of them was it got stuck on the activation screen so I had to call Directv support. The first one did not need anything special. The process for adding them had a number of steps different than the instructions they provide although those were just minor inconveniences. In the end I got it though. I appreciate all of the feedback here. This is a great forum.

WestDC likes this.
  12. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    E.Mdtrn Sea
    Would be great to share it here, to help other people stuck in same limb.