GenieGo 2 Hardware Failure

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by stevenme, Jul 4, 2016.

1. Jul 4, 2016 #1 of 34
    stevenme

stevenme Cool Member

Nov 29, 2011
    I'm just about ready to give up and admit my GG2 has suffered a terminal hardware failure. At first I was convinced it had something to do with the activation of the Mobile DVR of my HR44, but after a lot of experimenting I think the only possible conclusion is that the GG2 is not functioning properly.

Although the DirecTV iPad app connects to the GG2 Mobile DVR, none of the content is available for preparing/download (there is no download arrow next to the recording). Second, I've noticed the list from the DVRs is missing some entries. Even though all DVRs are selected to display, and I've updated the list several time, the list is not complete. Logging out/in also does not yield a correct list.

I spoke with level 2 D* support yesterday, and went over everything, but no luck. I did ask for them to reset my GG2's SN, which he claimed they did. Unless there is some severe firmware bug that I happen to have, I think at this point it has to be the hardware. I will say over the last few months it has been flaky, but usually a reset of the DVRs and the GG2 brought it back to life.

Has anyone else had a GG2 fail? I know they are not sold anymore so I guess I'll either have to go with the HR44 or my old GG1. Neither us is a good replacement, but it's better than no MDVR at all.

2. Jul 4, 2016 #2 of 34
    eileen22

eileen22 Godfather

Mar 24, 2006
    Philadelphia...
    I did have a GG1 fail, and it was always flaky even when it did work. Replaced it with a GG2, which worked a lot better, but I'm also having problems now. I live in PA (a Mobile DVR state), and I can no longer see my dvr playlist on the DTV iPad app. It's weird, because the playlist does show 6 recordings, but doesn't let me play them on the iPad. Also, my dvr has a lot more than 6 programs recorded, so I don't know why those random 6 are showing up.

I never did the keyword search to enable the new mobile DVR, but it looks like my GG2 has been somehow deactivated. I haven't called DTV, because I haven't had the time or patience to deal with this yet. The app doesn't even have a GG menu option anymore, and on the Mobile DVR menu it says I'm enabled for out of home access, that I pass the network tests, but it doesn't let me select a receiver for live streaming. I'm on the same wifi network.

Maybe the standalone GG units are being somehow disabled by this new technology?

3. Jul 4, 2016 #3 of 34
    NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    Curious how you came to this conclusion? What did it do/not do? What about the light and colors?

4. Jul 4, 2016 #4 of 34
    peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Right, most of the issues with GenieGO have to do with networking.

Sent from my iPad Pro using Tapatalk

5. Jul 4, 2016 #5 of 34
    hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Agree with the others that it appears to be a network setup/configuration issue, as opposed to GG2 itself.

6. Jul 5, 2016 #6 of 34
    dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    I did have a GG2 to fail in May. While it appeared to reset, it never completed on either the coax or Ethernet connection. I also had some other equipment fail in the basement in the same timeframe, so it must have been surge related.

Fortunately, I did get it replaced - the protection plan finally paid off.

7. Jul 5, 2016 #7 of 34
    dconfer

dconfer Legend

Nov 18, 2005
    I have the same issue as the original poster even when I am connected to my network. Not all the shows will appear. Ever since they went with the combined apps this process has been a nightmare. I don't depend on it anymore to flakey. I have the geniego version 1.

8. Jul 5, 2016 #8 of 34
    stevenme

stevenme Cool Member

Nov 29, 2011
    So maybe I'm not the only one whose GG has mysteriously failed recently? If there are others then I'd say it probably has something to do with the HR44 Mobile DVR rollout. In my experimentation it appears the HR44 disables its Mobile DVR if it finds an external GG on the LAN, but I wonder if there's still something active in the firmware that causes issues with GGs? Since only a few states are enabled we may just be seeing the tip of the iceberg.

9. Jul 5, 2016 #9 of 34
    PearlMikeJam

PearlMikeJam Mentor

Sep 25, 2007
    I am having the same issue. I cannot select any show to download. The GenieGo is discovered by both the Android and iOS apps, all recordings are shown, but none are available to download. Some are not even available to stream.

I spoke to level 2 support on Sunday and explained that I rebooted my receivers, the GenieGo, the router and reinstalled the apps. Nothing changed. They told me it was being integrated in the DVR firmware, but IL is not part of the beta.

I only download content every few months. This worked fine back in April. This is really frustrating because I need this resolved before today in order to download content for a trip early Thursday morning. It takes about a day to get a few hours of programing downloaded with all of the starts and stops the apps typically experience.

10. zmancartfan

zmancartfan AllStar

Mar 23, 2012
    Same problem. iOS app shows it has connected to my GG2, but no content from either DVR (HR44 and HR24) shows except for what is already downloaded to the iPad. A reboot of everything did not help.

The only thing I haven't tried yet is a red button reset on the GG2.

Looks like an update, most likely to the app, has screwed it up... Again.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk

11. eileen22

eileen22 Godfather

Mar 24, 2006
    Philadelphia...
    This is really poor customer service on DTV's part, to essentially disable functionality that was working for many people, as they beta test a new technology. Those of us that were using the standalone GG1 or GG2 have lost a service that we were using, and one that is a competitive feature with most other providers. I guess if I want to try to use the mobile DVR, since I'm in PA, I have no choice but to do the keyword search on my HR44 and see if it works. For people in other non-beta states, they have no options. A provider as big as ATT/DTV should have already had this service available, and not forced current customers to take a step backwards while they test the new service.

12. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Who said they have disabled the GenieGo's? A lot of unsubstantiated speculation is all I've read. My GenieGo1 is working fine.

13. NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    I have a GG2 and while it is working, I too noticed the app on iOS is hit or miss with it.
    Yesterday I had to kill the app 3x and restart it to have all my content appear.

Other times just the app in airplane mode or online, won't play stored content. All content I try to play pops up "The content cannot be played at this time."

While I don't doubt there are some with hardware issues, the app itself has some issues.

BTW, I have the original Android app on my phone and it doesn't have these issues so it is not the hardware.

14. PearlMikeJam

PearlMikeJam Mentor

Sep 25, 2007
    When you say yours is working fine, how do you define that? I just want to clarify what that is so we are all on the same page. I do not consider mine working. I can stream some shows, but do not have the option to download any. The downloading is the key feature for me.

15. NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    I noted it can take up to 5 minutes for the download to actually start. It looks like it won't download but patience, and the download menu screen finally pops up. (The screen after the preparing one when it shows you have xx menu items to download or transfer).

16. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    I can download transcoded shows to my mobile devices and watch them. I watched the last two episode of Jay Leno's Garage today during lunch.

I can stream shows out of house. But I don't use that frequently because too many times I've lost the connection and the next thing it wants me to do is validate my account, which I can't do while not at home. So when that has happened, I've lost the ability to watch the downloaded shows on my device.

I also haven't tried the code to use the Mobile DVR as there are some key questions I want answered before I do that and with all things DIRECTV, I certainly want to wait until the bugs get ironed out. It seems that from posts here, Mobile DVR is still be tested.

Oh, and I'm still using the stand-alone GenieGo app.

17. eileen22

eileen22 Godfather

Mar 24, 2006
    Philadelphia...
    That is probably why you're not having problems. I was forced to switch to the DTV app for GG when I got a new iPad. Before the new mobile DVR changes, the DTV app was working fine for me with the GG2. Since the mobile DVR changes in the app, it has gotten increasingly unreliable, to the point now where it is completely unusable. At first, I could still see all programs in my playlist, although some were inexplicably not available to watch or download on the iPad. Now, my playlist shows 6 programs, and none of them are able to watch or download. It is very strange.

18. stevenme

stevenme Cool Member

Nov 29, 2011
    Keep in mind the only states with HR44 Mobile DVR enabled are Arizona, Colorado, Florida, Massachusetts, Maryland, and Pennsylvania.

I'm not certain this is what is causing GG1/2 failures, but it seems a coincidence that so many of us had our GGs fail around the same time.

19. mrknowitall526

mrknowitall526 Active Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Lehigh...
    Yes, I am in PA. I had to enable it via the keyword search, but I do remember recently getting an email that said something about mobile DVR.

I've never had a Genie Go because I thought it was silly to pay for the device.

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

20. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    where did you get that listing from? I'm in FL and DIRECTV hasn't told me about the Mobile DVR or told me to shift to it.